Tranny Cooler (bypass?) - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Supercharged 07AV6

Tranny Cooler (bypass?)

I am installing my transmission cooler soon and am in the process of receiving the tapped housing that paul had been kind enough to offer me. My question is since im on the east coast i will deffinately need a bypass inline so that during the harsh winter months i will not have an issue with the tranny warming up. I have the Comptech Tranny cooler for the 6th gens and 2nd Gen TL's. My question is are these self regulating coolers? Or will i have to get a bypass. If so does anyone know where i can purchase a bypass?
7thgencordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #2

you shouldn't have an issue in the winter as the car has it's stock "warmer" that's fed engine coolant. On the V6 cars it makes the fluid warm up to operating temp faster and then is supposed to keep it close to ect when fully warmed.

With the Comptech cooler, you'll be sending the already warmed fluid into the cooler. I wouldn't worry so much.

If you're concerned you can find a thermostatic block that will take the lines to the cooler and will recirculate the fluid back to the trans until it hits a certain temp. Many newer Fords have a block just like this in the cooler lines. (3/8" or 10mm) You'd have to fab up 4 lines, with fittings for the block.
RedThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Supercharged 07AV6

Since the thread ive gotten a B&M Tranny cooler with a built in bypass thanks for the response though noone was putting in any input haha

Old August 19th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgencordcoupe View Post
Since the thread ive gotten a B&M Tranny cooler with a built in bypass thanks for the response though noone was putting in any input haha
I had a 10k lbs B&M with the bypass on my old ford zx2 (2500lbs). It worked pretty well but I had suspicions that since the extra plumbing the tranny fluid pressure dropped. I had it running without the stock cooler in the radiator to separate the heat from the coolant from the tranny fluid. It was also mounted up front of the radiator which I had to add a screen to the grill to protect the fins of the cooler. Not that I wouldn't do the same again I just hold the extra plumbing suspect and perhaps a smaller cooler would have been more efficient. I did have it installed with the hoses pointed down running aside the radiator so they were protected from the road.
nadracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Supercharged 07AV6

Well since our cars dont have the lines to the rad hopefully i wont have a problem. Thanks for the input i appreciate it. I will be following paul's thread on the install step by step to make sure i install it to perfection so that i won't run into any issues. With my friend who is a honda tech, but i will deffinately need that bypass because of the harsh winters, and the tranny cooler because of the mods i have done i figured might as well be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in