Did they fix CM stage 3?? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #1

Question Did they fix CM stage 3??

just bought one, i'm lookin for anybody with recent experience on whether or not i need special mods... I know Doc had major issues a couple years back.... Does anyone know for sure if this kit works as is?? mahalo nui
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #2

It should work yeah that's what I've read but then again what do I know =p
JennyXoXo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #3

that's a great question
ahhhz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 16th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #4

i was looking into getting my clutch changed out as well since i was boosted at one point.

but from what i read, the clutchmaster fx300 (stage 3) clutch kit does work. pressure plate and clutch will work fine but it's your flywheel that becomes an issue. if you order their lightened flywheel then you're good to go....but if you decide to reuse your stock flywheel, you will have to send it back to clutchmaster so they can notch out a teeth so it will work with their kit.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong...

Last edited by XplicitAzian; September 16th, 2009 at 11:10 PM..
XplicitAzian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitAzian View Post
i was looking into getting my clutch changed out as well since i was boosted at one point.

but from what i read, the clutchmaster fx300 (stage 3) clutch kit does work. pressure plate and clutch will work fine but it's your flywheel that becomes an issue. if you order their lightened flywheel then you're good to go....but if you decide to reuse your stock flywheel, you will have to send it back to clutchmaster so they can notch out a teeth so it will work with their kit.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong...
Correction: To make sure you have no issues at all, Send them your OEM flywheel or find another used one so they can install the ring gear from your OEM flywheel onto their lightweight flywheel. Half the guys on the acura side were unhappy with the starter/flywheel grinding issues because the number of teeth that were already on the lightweight flywheel compared to the OEM flywheel was off by one tooth.

Better safe than sorry.

Other than that, the cheaper alternative is using the OEM Pressure Plate and flywheel with P2R's high performance friction disc/wheel for the Acura CL-S/TL. So far, on their J32 powered hatch, it's been putting down 500+whp and been holding up good for a long time now. I went to see it in person not long ago. I'll be trying this setup on my car to confirm its validity

Other than that, you have SPEC's Stage 3+ and 4 setups that run between $699 to $899; and with those you can use your OEM flywheel as well.

If you think about it:

OEM Pressure Plate + P2R Disc + Flywheel = $401 before taxes/shipping
SPEC Stage 4 Clutch kit = $699 before shipping
.... Clutchmasters, any kit after stage one = $1,500 before shipping .... seriously.

If you want, Let me know, I'll go ahead and post pics/info once purchase my setup in the next two weeks.

Last edited by shiem; September 19th, 2009 at 09:40 AM..
shiem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #6
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiem View Post
Correction: To make sure you have no issues at all, Send them your OEM flywheel or find another used one so they can install the ring gear from your OEM flywheel onto their lightweight flywheel. Half the guys on the acura side were unhappy with the starter/flywheel grinding issues because the number of teeth that were already on the lightweight flywheel compared to the OEM flywheel was off by one tooth.

Better safe than sorry.

Other than that, the cheaper alternative is using the OEM Pressure Plate and flywheel with P2R's high performance friction disc/wheel for the Acura CL-S/TL. So far, on their J32 powered hatch, it's been putting down 500+whp and been holding up good for a long time now. I went to see it in person not long ago. I'll be trying this setup on my car to confirm its validity

Other than that, you have SPEC's Stage 3+ and 4 setups that run between $699 to $899; and with those you can use your OEM flywheel as well.

If you think about it:

OEM Pressure Plate + P2R Disc + Flywheel = $401 before taxes/shipping
SPEC Stage 4 Clutch kit = $699 before shipping
.... Clutchmasters, any kit after stage one = $1,500 before shipping .... seriously.

If you want, Let me know, I'll go ahead and post pics/info once purchase my setup in the next two weeks.
hey, this guy does his searching very well

however, there is a 4th option. Clutchmaster stage 1,2,3,4, WITHOUT the lighten flywheel. only thing is you have to send them your flywheel to have notched in a triangle to accommodate there PP. this was actually my first kit and worked well. cost me only 600 bucks
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #7
J35 6Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe View Post

however, there is a 4th option. Clutchmaster stage 1,2,3,4, WITHOUT the lighten flywheel. only thing is you have to send them your flywheel to have notched in a triangle to accommodate there PP. this was actually my first kit and worked well. cost me only 600 bucks
how well did the stock flywheel work for you then? was there a big difference when u switched to the aluminum wheel?
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:

So If I wanted to upgrade to a stage 3 clutchmaster clutch without the light weight flywheel it would only cost me 600 + install cost? Thats all I need?
ethanemc505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #9

Anyone know about the CM stage 2? same flywheel problem? what about the feel of it compared to 3
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:14 AM   #10
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschwiggy View Post
how well did the stock flywheel work for you then? was there a big difference when u switched to the aluminum wheel?
well you gotta figure the CM flywheel weighs approx 22lbs or so lighter than the oem one, so ya i definetly felt the difference kai it really helped out the low end and revs much faster now. its really a nice mod if you can afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanemc505 View Post
So If I wanted to upgrade to a stage 3 clutchmaster clutch without the light weight flywheel it would only cost me 600 + install cost? Thats all I need?
thats what i paid for it, but that was over 2 years ago. stage 3 is good, if you dont mind a bit of chatter when taking off, but you dont feel it if you give it a little more gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhhz View Post
Anyone know about the CM stage 2? same flywheel problem? what about the feel of it compared to 3
doesnt matter what stage you go with. if you opt for the LWFW, your going to get the same one stage 1 through 4. go back to CM with your new and old flywheel, so they can transfer the ring gear on to the new one. the PP and disc problem is solved already so no worries there. just be glad you found out about this now, than later. otherwise, you'd be paying for double the labor which isnt cheap depending on where you go. luckily my guy doesnt charge anywhere near what other shops charge for this type of work.
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:37 AM   #11
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Any update from
on the ring gear issue? Have they found a new supplier yet? I know you were talking to Hose about it.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:52 AM   #12
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
Any update from
on the ring gear issue? Have they found a new supplier yet? I know you were talking to Hose about it.
no deal

instead doing a little research himself to try and find a supplier that has the right size and teeth count, he now discloses that the kit will make a starter noise, unless you send in a stock ring gear to replace it with =/
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:56 AM   #13
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

^Boo, that is weak sauce......
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:50 PM   #14

Quote:
thats what i paid for it, but that was over 2 years ago. stage 3 is good, if you dont mind a bit of chatter when taking off, but you dont feel it if you give it a little more gas.
Can clutchmasters resurface my stock flywheel? Now I have to send in both the stock flywheel to "have notched in a triangle to accommodate there PP" as well as the stock ring gear...correct?
ethanemc505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM   #15

project import said they can install the stock ring gears on the new flywheel so i won't have to send it in. they're SMART
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:29 PM   #16
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
project import said they can install the stock ring gears on the new flywheel so i won't have to send it in. they're SMART

hey man, what ever floats your boat. the only reason i said take it to CM for the work, cause the whole ring gear deal is their own fault and will do it FOR FREE. oh and you dont have to send it in since your local. you can simply drive there yourself and wait while they do it for you. only takes a half hour or so =/

lol, its not rocket science bro project imports and any other reputable shop would be more than capable of doing the job. you just need to grind off the welds, turn the LWFW to take away about a 1/4 inch of material so it can fit the stock ring gear (since the inside diameter is smaller than the CM one) and viola! job done.

just be glad i was here to warn people about this problem, otherwise you'd have to take it back out and fix this problem like everyone else that bought the kit,

your welcome
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #17

Quote:

just be glad i was here to warn people about this problem, otherwise you'd have to take it back out and fix this problem like everyone else that bought the kit,

your welcome
are you being serious?

well, anyway... to me downtime is the most inconvenient part about these upgrades so i'd rather have PI do it for $50 than have to find a ride to CM and wait for them to do it.
Old September 24th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #18
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
are you being serious?

well, anyway... to me downtime is the most inconvenient part about these upgrades so i'd rather have PI do it for $50 than have to find a ride to CM and wait for them to do it.
serious about what?

just giving you the heads up and try to save you a little money, but if you want to pay to have it done, then cool..

anyways, i already told you what the problem was in the other thread to check the ring gear to make sure its the right one or you might have to take it out again. then you asked what should i do then Stevo405 told you the exact same thing in more detail and still, you decide to open your own thread about it =/ and FYI, Doc didnt have the full kit, only PP and disc - FW.

so, fix the ring gear and you will be good you will love the kit
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
Quote:
Any update from
Quote:
no deal

instead doing a little research himself to try and find a supplier that has the right size and teeth count, he now discloses that the kit will make a starter noise, unless you send in a stock ring gear to replace it with =/
Fine ill go back to Aasco and check them out in person again this Friday

So the stock FW has 122 teeth and the AL FW has 123? Just need the refresher course so I can count the ones at the shop and tell them they're screwing up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:08 AM   #20
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

^Reverss that, the ASSCO has 122(same as older mopar apps) and the stock is 123. Also the ASSCO one is 1/4" smaller in diameter than our stock one.
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #21
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
^Reverss that, the ASSCO has 122(same as older mopar apps) and the stock is 123. Also the ASSCO one is 1/4" smaller in diameter than our stock one.
roger that.

ASSCO is the culprit here. talk to them nick and ask why is it so hard to get the right size gear on these damn flywheels =/
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #22

Damn I'm ready for an upgrade with all this talk.
JCharged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 25th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
Quote:
Quote:
roger that.

ASSCO is the culprit here. talk to them nick and ask why is it so hard to get the right size gear on these damn flywheels =/
Yeah will do, so Aasco has 122 and is 1/4" smaller, weird since they told me last time they had a stock unit on hand, he just couldn't find it at the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in