Anyone Running an Oil Cooler.. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Supercharged 07AV6

Anyone Running an Oil Cooler..

Just was curious, anyone running oil cooler setups? Usually when cruising oil temp hangs around 160-185 depending on outside temps. When accelerating hard and messing around usually maintains temps of 200-220. I was just curious about anyone running any type of oil cooler (setrab, B&M, flexalite etc.) just to see if there is any benefit to running an oil cooler on our cars, and what the variation of temperatures is. I am currently running a B&M Supercooler for the tranny and have seen substantial improvment in temps, but i dont have a trans gauge to monitor specific temps. Thought this was a pretty beneficial mod for the trans and was just looking for any input on if an oil cooler would be worth it as well. Any info anyone?
7thgencordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:17 AM   #2
cunning linguist

I've given it a lot of thought.
There is a pretty significant cost of adding one (properly) since you need to consider a thermostat to maintain oil pressure on start-up and to keep from over cooling the oil.

If you do a cheap oil filter sandwich adapter like this one ($20)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-F...Q5fAccessories

and get a simple oil cooler like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-H...Q5fAccessories

and lines
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-B...Q5fAccessories

And then a thermostat (since you only want to cool your oil to a certain temp, and no cooler)
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...il_Thermostats

You can see you've now got about $250 worth of parts.

You can also buy a 'bling' univeral kit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...item230431f2bf
(And just add your own thermostat) but your still pretty pricey.

You could also do a sandwich plate adaptor with a built in thermostat.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GRedd...item2c52b9f85b

But again, the price sneaks up.

I guess I'd ask what you're doing to warrant one? If your thinking of doing any lapdays or HPDE it may be worth it, but otherwise I question whether you'd get your monies worth.

-Brian-
04 6spd Coupe-> 10 4cyl Coupe-> 11 V6 Coupe
07 V6 Auto Sedan-> 10 CR-V
Mod'd Z06 - Sold for move
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MorePower4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:25 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to cmriv
Idk man, my pops has a se-r and he's running one, it's only a v6 with about 320 to the wheel. I haven't asked if he's seen any improvement but he bought a kit, it's pretty sweet, I'll get some feedback from him on that. But also, my father doesn't race his car, and has every bolt on possible, like custom made by companies and what not...with that said he DOES not race at all, strictly highway mostly, and some city driving, but when he drives he drives it hard so idk, i'm kinda curious what the pro's and con's of one are, because they sure are pricey.
cmriv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:08 AM   #4

You can sorta see my fathers, horrible picture but i talked to him and he said he saw imporved stats in his gas milage and he said it would pull harder in 3rd and 5th gear just from that bolt on. He said it was definitley worth the money he spent on it.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Supercharged 07AV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower4me View Post
I've given it a lot of thought.
There is a pretty significant cost of adding one (properly) since you need to consider a thermostat to maintain oil pressure on start-up and to keep from over cooling the oil.

If you do a cheap oil filter sandwich adapter like this one ($20)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-F...Q5fAccessories

and get a simple oil cooler like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-H...Q5fAccessories

and lines
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-B...Q5fAccessories

And then a thermostat (since you only want to cool your oil to a certain temp, and no cooler)
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...il_Thermostats

You can see you've now got about $250 worth of parts.

You can also buy a 'bling' univeral kit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...item230431f2bf
(And just add your own thermostat) but your still pretty pricey.

You could also do a sandwich plate adaptor with a built in thermostat.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GRedd...item2c52b9f85b

But again, the price sneaks up.

I guess I'd ask what you're doing to warrant one? If your thinking of doing any lapdays or HPDE it may be worth it, but otherwise I question whether you'd get your monies worth.
Definately appreciate the search. I would go medium grade some kind of B&M, Setrab, or maybe even glowshift has a nice universal kit, Then like you showed inline thermo to regulate temps, or get a cooler with one built in like my b&m tranny cooler and just c how the car acts overall.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:16 PM   #6
Supercharged 07AV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmriv View Post

You can sorta see my fathers, horrible picture but i talked to him and he said he saw imporved stats in his gas milage and he said it would pull harder in 3rd and 5th gear just from that bolt on. He said it was definitley worth the money he spent on it.
Sounds like a plan, tell pops nice ser always been a fan of them
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:25 PM   #7

ya man his car is sex!!!!

This is his too, iforged classics...Such a beautiful vehicle.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:38 PM   #8

there was a thread on this a while back it was either oil cooler or transmission but paul made a whole thread about it and how to install it...
inspire1318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:17 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
i have an oil cooler with sandwich adapter works well. keeps temps down even with boost i dont go past 220

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:24 PM   #10

^thats whats good. all that little stuff just makes you feel like your money got put to use, like the temp of our oil. hahha
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:12 PM   #11

You want the oil to maintain at least 212. No higher than 230-235 with conventional oil. Safe to 250-260 with synthetic. (group IV or better oil)

All oils that are tested are tested to oil temps of 150C, for HTHS viscosity. High HTHS oils aren't required for Hondas, but are for many other cars. Any Honda running a turbo or supercharger should be running and oil approved for Honda's HTO-06 spec.

Any lower temp, the accumulated moisture can't boil off, which can cause acid buildup and breakdown of the oil in a short period of time. That leads to isolated pockets of gel and sludge in low flow areas of the engine.

If you live in a climate where the temps fall below 50, you want a thermostatically controlled cooler setup. You don't want to over cool the oil.
RedThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Supercharged 07AV6

Love the 370's would take one in a heart beat. Someone suggested getting a new radiator which i currently have i forgot to add a custom aluminum griffin radiator, should I think about the oil cooler more to optimize cooling since i have this?
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:28 PM   #13

If your pockets are deep, plus it just another bolt on added to the list of mod's =) which is always good. and ya the 370 is so nice, i wish we had a jdm rear fog like that...if there was a place to put it, it would look so nice because the a$$ on our cars is already $$$$$!!! lol
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:40 PM   #14
Supercharged 07AV6

Yeah I mean i said I got a custom rad didnt I? lol j.p But yeah very true cant hurt right? Mount it somewhere next to the tranny cooler.

And with the 370 rear fogs last of my interest overall awesome car, question is why is your dad not hooking you up with one
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgencordcoupe View Post

Yeah I mean i said I got a custom rad didnt I? lol j.p But yeah very true cant hurt right? Mount it somewhere next to the tranny cooler.

And with the 370 rear fogs last of my interest overall awesome car, question is why is your dad not hooking you up with one
haha idk man. i wish i had the ser though. He's put like 20k inhat thing, there both fully modded. He's hooking me up in some way though. He's getting me my coilovers and giving me his oem ser wheels which are sex on our coupes. so i'm thankful for that.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:30 PM   #16
Supercharged 07AV6

Quote:
haha idk man. i wish i had the ser though. He's put like 20k inhat thing, there both fully modded. He's hooking me up in some way though. He's getting me my coilovers and giving me his oem ser wheels which are sex on our coupes. so i'm thankful for that.

Im only playing thats pretty suite though that you are getting that. Dad seems chill, the ser is pretty fat. I wanna see how those look stock forged ftw
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:01 PM   #17
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

wait im confused. do you or do you not have a custom griffen radiator. if so, got any pics??

IMO, i really dont think an oil cooler is neccessary, unless you track your car for long periods of time. my oil temp runs between 200-210f all day long and on hot summer days in boost, it will climb to 230-235f max.

the only time ive seen it go past that, was when i tracked my car at willow springs last april. temps got to around 250-260f after 15 min straight of hard driving..
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #18
Supercharged 07AV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe View Post
wait im confused. do you or do you not have a custom griffen radiator. if so, got any pics??

IMO, i really dont think an oil cooler is neccessary, unless you track your car for long periods of time. my oil temp runs between 200-210f all day long and on hot summer days in boost, it will climb to 230-235f max.

the only time ive seen it go past that, was when i tracked my car at willow springs last april. temps got to around 250-260f after 15 min straight of hard driving..
Yes, I do have a griffin radiator i have pics up on my cardomain. I plan on boosting in the near future which is why i have been prepping the car.

Thats some good info for me to think about thanks, I wouldent spend a fortune just something decent quality, just to maybe help out a bit can't really hurt.
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #19
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
Yes, I do have a griffin radiator i have pics up on my cardomain. I plan on boosting in the near future which is why i have been prepping the car.

Thats some good info for me to think about thanks, I wouldent spend a fortune just something decent quality, just to maybe help out a bit can't really hurt.
cool man! i thought i was the only one that had one made by them. can you give me a link to your cardomain?
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #20
Supercharged 07AV6

Im 7thgencordcoupe on cardomain as well, believe it or not im quiet in my investigation you are a big influence to my build i got the idea from you. I know im not s/c yet. but if you look at my mods list the quality closely assimilates to what you have done, despite the fact your car is far superior to mine
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #21
Boosted!

Send a message via AIM to ComptechV6
your car looks familar, it says ny... are you in ny?
ComptechV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #22
No More Boost

Send a message via AIM to chemik
seems like an un-needed mod and not a wise investment.
chemik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #23
Boosted!

Send a message via AIM to ComptechV6
^ well it all depends on set up, driving etc...
ComptechV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #24
Supercharged 07AV6

Yeah nassau too lol where you at seen me running around probably
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #25
Supercharged 07AV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemik View Post
seems like an un-needed mod and not a wise investment.
Alot of things are unnecessary, and depends on what you are going for regarding your set up as comptechv6 stated. That is your opinion though, people have different tastes and ideas.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #26

^touche
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #27
Supercharged 07AV6

Quote:
^touche
Lol. It's just like everything else why would it be a waste to get the hondata if that comes through? Whats wrong with optimizing performance from every angle regardless of what you drive and how you drive it. It's up to whoever is spending the money, which i dont believe doing a good oil cooler setup would drain my pockets. B&M coolers are around $100, an adapter for the oil filter $30 and the rest is a bit of work just thought I'd see if anyone was running one or thinking about it.
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #28
No More Boost

Quote:
Lol. It's just like everything else why would it be a waste to get the hondata if that comes through? Whats wrong with optimizing performance from every angle regardless of what you drive and how you drive it. It's up to whoever is spending the money, which i dont believe doing a good oil cooler setup would drain my pockets. B&M coolers are around $100, an adapter for the oil filter $30 and the rest is a bit of work just thought I'd see if anyone was running one or thinking about it.
youre comparing apples to oranges here guy. Hondata (a very advanced tuning tool) to an oil cooler (when a Honda motor does very well on its own)

What OP is basically saying is that he has an idea of higher merit than the ENGINEERS OF HONDA. Honda motors are engineered very well and dont need oil coolers. I have yet to see a high horsepower honda need one too. I mean, the shop I used to work at has a 629whp GSR Integra (look up "viktek" on Youtube). Its not running an oil cooler and its fine every time its driven hard at the track. Get my point?

2003 Accord EXL K24A4 6spd Nighthawk Black Coupe
Back to stock
Old January 25th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #29
Go Big Red

^ opinionated much?
OP just wanted to know who else was running an oil cooler and what sort of benefits they saw from it. I don't think he was trying to offend the hardworking ENGINEERS OF HONDA lol.
TheMajor13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #30
No More Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMajor13 View Post
^ opinionated much?
OP just wanted to know who else was running an oil cooler and what sort of benefits they saw from it. I don't think he was trying to offend the hardworking ENGINEERS OF HONDA lol.
you have a point lol. I came off too strong

2003 Accord EXL K24A4 6spd Nighthawk Black Coupe
Back to stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in