drain radiator fluid for aem install? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to DoctaJ412
drain radiator fluid for aem install?

Hey i've installed intakes before and never drained the radiator fluid. Do you have to on our cars?
DoctaJ412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #2
Senior Moderhater

Send a message via AIM to abram2001
nope

I have never heard anyone draining out coolant just for a basic intake
abram2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:58 PM   #3

I ran the AEM cai in my coupe. You do have to re-route a coolant hose during the install, but just top off the coolant for any that spills during the install. You do not have to drain the radiatior.
mlvswoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 13th, 2004, 05:40 AM   #4
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

No, don't need to drain it. I put a towel under the coolant hose you have to re-route, because it does leak out when you disconnect it.... just a small amount though.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #5
Bye bye accord :(

Quote:
Originally posted by mlvswoll
I ran the AEM cai in my coupe. You do have to re-route a coolant hose during the install, but just top off the coolant for any that spills during the install. You do not have to drain the radiatior.
i just ordered the aem CAI recently... anyways to get to the point you HAVE to re-route the coolant hose?
raff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #6

Yes. You're replacing 2 hard metal lines that are side-by-side & connected to each other...... 1 is a coolant line, and 1 is a breather line. The metal coolant line is bypassed using a tubing connector. The breather line is replaced by a new hose included with the cai.

Disclaimer - All the above info valid for an Injen cai on a sedan. Others are probably the same, but don't know for a fact.
Old June 17th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by 03LXV6Guy
Yes. You're replacing 2 hard metal lines that are side-by-side & connected to each other...... 1 is a coolant line, and 1 is a breather line. The metal coolant line is bypassed using a tubing connector. The breather line is replaced by a new hose included with the cai.

Disclaimer - All the above info valid for an Injen cai on a sedan. Others are probably the same, but don't know for a fact.
I've got the AEM and it's the same...
dboy619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:38 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to AV6on19s
I drained mine and put it back in, but thats because it was latter in the night and I didnt have any extra to top it off!
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by AV6on19s
I drained mine and put it back in, but thats because it was latter in the night and I didnt have any extra to top it off!
does it really come out enough that u gotta top it off?
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by raff on June 18th, 2004 at 01:52 AM

does it really come out enough that u gotta top it off?
Not on mine. It was probably only on ounce or two.

Hint - If you want to cut down on spillage, you can pinch off the coolant lines with vise grips or some other type of locking pliers.
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by 03LXV6Guy
Not on mine. It was probably only on ounce or two.

Hint - If you want to cut down on spillage, you can pinch off the coolant lines with vise grips or some other type of locking pliers.
hahah that's a frickin awesome hint! i woulda never thought of that. thanks
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #12

Yea, there are specific clamping pliers that are made just for that purpose...... clamping shut small coolant lines and vacuum hoses, for maintenance and/or trouble-shooting uses. I just use my small needle nose vise grips, with just enough pressure to close the line; not so much pressure that you risk damaging the line or hose though.
Old June 20th, 2004, 05:33 AM   #13

no, i installed my riends v2 2 days ago an i didnt read that part until after i was doe lol nothing happened dont waste your time
it did drip little but its not even noticible

Last edited by jpizzle; June 20th, 2004 at 05:37 AM..
jpizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 20th, 2004, 05:47 AM   #14

no i installed my riends v2 2 days ago an i didnt read that part until after i was doe lol nothing happened dont waste your time
jpizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:46 AM   #15

Did not need to drain the radiator. Engine was cool for about 15 minutes. Very little about 2 oz of lost fluid. Just use a towel when taking the hoses off.
lotsill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:49 PM   #16

i installed it today and i took off the stock coolant hose (put a towel under there) and it started to pour out and wouldn't stop so i put the stock one back on and i had to switch to the new one really quickly. i just topped it off with some green coolant and all was good. otherwise it wasn't that hard of an install. luckily i finished rite before it started to rain
Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:05 PM   #17

with the new intake is it what you expected to get both sound and performance wise? and about the V2, why doesnt it have a by-pass i get the whole reason behind its whole "it doest let it perform at its best" ordeal but what about HydROLOCKIN? wouldnt it make it more vulnerable to it? i wanna get one but with no type of protection, im goin with an INJEN! until proven otherwise (i hope)
04DCspeedV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:17 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to AV6on19s
Injen is just as suceptilble (cant spell) to hydrolock as the AEM is. I wouldnt worry about it, our intake is on the left side, not right and its pretty well covered from the bottom. Im not the least bit worried...
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by 04DCspeedV6
with the new intake is it what you expected to get both sound and performance wise? and about the V2, why doesnt it have a by-pass i get the whole reason behind its whole "it doest let it perform at its best" ordeal but what about HydROLOCKIN? wouldnt it make it more vulnerable to it? i wanna get one but with no type of protection, im goin with an INJEN! until proven otherwise (i hope)
the intake is alright. i wasn't really looking for performance but i can tell u that i can't feel a difference in power at all. and sound wise i wanted it to be a little louder but otherwise it sounds good as sh!t. it has a nice growl starting from about 3k rpm and u can definately hear the vtec switchover now. for you to hydrolock your filter has to be completely submerged under water and you have to be at WOT. and if a little water gets thru the filter it's ok cuz it usually evaporates before it even gets to the throttle body. i have a friend that has a CAI on his prelude. the prelude is humping the ground (it's dropped a lot) and he goes to school in atlanta, georgia where when it rains they have a lot of places with high water. all u gotta do is let off the gas, drop ur car into neutral and coast thru the puddle and u'll be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in