3 inch or 2.5 inch? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #1

3 inch or 2.5 inch?

I kno bigger is better (lol) but I own a 06 accord v6 with an auto tranny and im getting a custom exhaust done on my car I want to keep the cat and go single exhaust I dont have any other exhaust mods so I was wondering which size exhaust tubing and what length resonator? A 30 inch or a 18 inch im not trying to make it too loud but I dont want it to sound like a prius...
purplerims is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #2
DAT Dewd from Dallas MANG

18 inch resonator and 3 inch piping from the jpipe all the way back....
bdbconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #3

^+1
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #4

Thanks for the input anyone have other opinions?
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #5

i have an 04 v6 auto accord, just got a magnaflow system put in for 500 at my friends shop, 2.25pipeing from the cat with 4 inch tips sounds badass and for a good price
Kamil S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #6

you should have got 3"....

trust me...
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #7

Lol ok I trust u what about muffler? I was either thinking a magnaflow or a cherry bomb pro muffler
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #8

ask bboy the muffler he got and get the same setup...

I will take better pics of his exhaust hopefully next weekend...

his exhaust is PERFECT for our cars...I have seen many and am converting mine to his ASAP...
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #9

U should post pics of his setup on this thread and is bboy his screenname?
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #10

I have a 3" exhuast for sale that will fit your car NVA_AV6 custome build low rumble, quite in the cabin and @ WOT is the sweetest sound PM me for more info if you're interested
3.56thgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbconcepts View Post
ask bboy the muffler he got and get the same setup...

I will take better pics of his exhaust hopefully next weekend...

his exhaust is PERFECT for our cars...I have seen many and am converting mine to his ASAP...
what's his name? I wanna see what you're talking about
corpia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #12

yo...

I am going to buy the muffler hopefully on Thursday...

when I meet up with him then I will shoot some pics....

bboy_trevstuh is his S/N

JTHonda can vouch for what I am saying as well (they met up earlier in the night before me and him did... )

IMO it looks ugly from the back (kinda looks like 4cyl that's ricey) but it sounds AWESOME at all rpms both at idle and partial WOT....

my main reason for getting it...I truly believe this is the best setup for the J-series motor....hands down
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #13

I saw his muffler set up on a thread he posted up a while back so does he have one of those n1 style mufflers of ebay for75 bucks all jdm cocked and a 18 inch resonator n 3 inch piping rite?
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #14

You have to ask yourself what your future plans for the car are gonna be before delving into a full exhaust. Are you going to do a catback only? Or are you gonna bite the bullet and go for the precat deletes and Jpipe? The Jpipe won't do much in terms of adding volume to the exhaust, but the PCDs will completely change the sound of your exhaust.

Consider this: If you get an 18in resonator and later decide to go for the PCDs, you will undoubtedly be swapping for a bigger reso. If you are sure you have no plans to do the PCDs, then do the 18in. If you are even thinking about doing the PCDs, I'd definitely suggest a 30in reso. And even that may not be big enough. I have a 30in body reso with 2 Dynomax ultra flows and it's very loud. I have a 6x6x30 round muffler. The rectangular mufflers are better for sound suppression (from Mr. Magnaflow himself) than the round. I may opt for their largest muffler 5x11x22. That thing is a monster.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #15

yo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerims View Post
I saw his muffler set up on a thread he posted up a while back so does he have one of those n1 style mufflers of ebay for75 bucks all jdm cocked and a 18 inch resonator n 3 inch piping rite?
he has a muffler that he got for $150...I dont knwo what kind it is...it looks like it might be a apex-i ....I am not sure....
he has a 3rd cat delete and from there 3" piping back....no resonator....that's the beauty of it...I thought cabin drone would be bad but it isn't on this setup....
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #16

Quote:
18 inch resonator and 3 inch piping from the jpipe all the way back....
BDB, Ive got V3 downpipe, and am getting PCD's (on order) presently I have no 3rd cat, a single smaller pipe back to the split into two pipes and to (straight thru type) Magnaflow mufflers.

I want to do a single exhaust set up for the best performance but I would like to keep both mufflers for the look which I do like. Questions:
1) Could I leave one mounted for looks only and do the 3" piping from my downpipe back to the remaing muffler and get the same results?
2) Are the performance results specific also to the exact muffler he has and/or from the single 3" piping?
3) And why would I need a resonator, If I need it then what size using PCD's?

Thanks mucho. BTW we got to get together next time.
JT

Last edited by JTHonda; March 29th, 2011 at 04:56 PM..
JTHonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #17

From wat I can tell you would definately need to b/c the interior drone would be very loud woth the pcd
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #18

I'm suprised I don't ever hear much about side-branch resonators in these forums. It cancelled out frequencies that cause drone.

Yahoo! Image Detail for - http://image.importtuner.com/f/28606147+w750+st0/impp_1006_05_o+motordyne+shockwave_v2_cat_back_exh aust.jpg
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #19

yo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHonda View Post
BDB, Ive got V3 downpipe, and am getting PCD's (on order) presently I have no 3rd cat, a single smaller pipe back to the split into two pipes and to (straight thru type) Magnaflow mufflers.

I want to do a single exhaust set up for the best performance but I would like to keep both mufflers for the look which I do like. Questions:
1) Could I leave one mounted for looks only and do the 3" piping from my downpipe back to the remaing muffler and get the same results?
2) Are the performance results specific also to the exact muffler he has and/or from the single 3" piping?
3) And why would I need a resonator, If I need it then what size using PCD's?

Thanks mucho. BTW we got to get together next time.
JT
1)yes depending on how good the one muffler can flow air....

2) the results are not specific to that muffler but specfic to a muffler that will flow at least that much air or more...

3)I don't think you need this in our area...if you really wanted one get an 18inch resonator by Magnaflow....

JT send me a pix msg of your muffler...just one of them...then I can tell you if it is doable....

JT wanna go to the Charlie Sheen show Wed(27th) at the AAC?

7th gen....WINNING!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #20

Quote:
1)yes depending on how good the one muffler can flow air....

2) the results are not specific to that muffler but specfic to a muffler that will flow at least that much air or more...

I have the stainless steel oval shaped Magnaflow's 14"long, 5"tall, 8" wide 2.5" wide straight thru design. ( you can see straight thru, to turns or whatever)

3)I don't think you need this in our area...if you really wanted one get an 18inch resonator by Magnaflow....

I will say nevermind on this one

JT send me a pix msg of your muffler...just one of them...then I can tell you if it is doable....

I wish I knew how to do that. I have a digital camera bit I am ignorant on steps to load them to a post or reply message.

JT wanna go to the Charlie Sheen show Wed(27th) at the AAC?

Man that sounds great, only prob I work 2:00pm to 11:00pm Tues thru Sat. Sun & Mon days off. I am an American Airlines Facilities Mechanic @ DFW.

7th gen....WINNING!!!!!!!!!!
Right on!! When I played with Trevor the other night, at first I thought he was driving a 4cyl. But when we were basically even in performance I thought... WTF??? It seemed like we were really even. I motioned him to stop when he exited highway with me and we talked a little bit. He said he was on his way to meet up with you !! Small world.
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #21

I do have one 3 inch resonator I believe the size is 18 inches. The muffler I have is the real apexi n1 turbo muffler. I have it slanted because the piping would hang low if I was to keep it straight, interior wise is perfect and WOT I just love it. It's quick to get to redline, I wish me and JTHonda had more room to play with as his car sounds sexy. But I love it when people pick on me thinking I'm 4cyl and than the look on their face when I get on it.
bboy_trevstuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #22

yo...

hey can we go get my apex N1 muffler Thursday?

and what are the specs?

60mm to a 90mm

or

75mm to a 115mm?

Old March 29th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy_trevstuh View Post
I do have one 3 inch resonator I believe the size is 18 inches. The muffler I have is the real apexi n1 turbo muffler. I have it slanted because the piping would hang low if I was to keep it straight, interior wise is perfect and WOT I just love it. It's quick to get to redline, I wish me and JTHonda had more room to play with as his car sounds sexy. But I love it when people pick on me thinking I'm 4cyl and than the look on their face when I get on it.
Hey Bro, The reason my car sounds "sexy" is when I am in front of you you can hear my pipes LOL!!!
All kidding aside I was very impressed with your car, I never really have a legit challenge from most, other than some F.I cars and some V8's
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #24

75mm to 115mm.
bboy_trevstuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #25

Hey whats up guys im new to this forum thing just i wanna put an exhaust on my 2003 accod v6 6spd mt any ideas? and dual or single? 2.5 or 3? plz help!!
dontblinkaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #26

^accord
dontblinkaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #27

^^ Did you even read the thread you posted in? I'm pretty sure your answers are all in here.

Single 3in from the Jpipe back will give you the best performance. You can also do a single 3in midpipe from the Jpipe back, then a y-split at the rear sway bar, then 2.5in piping to the mufflers. That's what I have. If you want to wait a week, I will have a dyno comparing my old RV6 V1 Jpipe and 2 3/8in exhaust to my new custom Jpipe and full 3in exhaust. So it will be as good of a comparison as I can get without dynoing on the same day.
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #28

If the heads do not have an outlet of 3" I don't understand the reason on why you would want to have 3" all the way back. Seems like their is no value to it.

Like hooking up a firehouse to your home water line. Sure, it is a bigger hose, but will not have any impact.
sirchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #29

Its the same concept as open headers. You want the smaller pipes at first for the velocity and scavenging, but after a certain length there is no more advantage and you encounter back pressure. The ideal would be to end the exhaust at that point, but we have to include things like cats and mufflers. The next best thing is to make the pipe larger at this point to reduce the back pressure and allow efficient flow.
phil04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirchadwick View Post
If the heads do not have an outlet of 3" I don't understand the reason on why you would want to have 3" all the way back. Seems like their is no value to it.

Like hooking up a firehouse to your home water line. Sure, it is a bigger hose, but will not have any impact.
Look below. This is a great explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil04 View Post
Its the same concept as open headers. You want the smaller pipes at first for the velocity and scavenging, but after a certain length there is no more advantage and you encounter back pressure. The ideal would be to end the exhaust at that point, but we have to include things like cats and mufflers. The next best thing is to make the pipe larger at this point to reduce the back pressure and allow efficient flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in