Dyno Help - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #1

Dyno Help

Reason: This is my first stick and would like to dyno for the first time.

Background:Here is what my searching has found, the dyno section didn't have the info I was looking for: some of you dyno in 3rd, mostly 4th and it seems dyno jet numbers came up mostly while searching. In my 350z forum they dyno in 5th because of the 1:1 ratio and they don't trust dyno jets because they the numbers are too high, they trust mustang or dynamics. Now I'm confused, I can't find what the difference is in gears.

The Question: Ok guys, for those of you with dyno experience, please help. What gear do you guys dyno in? Why? What dyno machine do you guys trust? Why?
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2011, 09:51 AM   #2
TrakCord

i prefer dyno jet because although some may say it reads to high or wutevr it is generally the most common reference...however the type of dyno doesnt really matter it depends on your goals...it is important to begin on a dyno of your choice and use that same dyno/shop for all your testing/tuning etc.. so there is no deviation in dyno accuracy if you use another dyno/shop...and regarding the dyno gear most do use the gear that is closest to the 1:1 ratio however again this all depends on what numbers mean to you...if you are just getting a reference point then the gear doesnt really matter
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:13 AM   #3

Thanks, I know its all about measuring gains, but it was important for me to get a baseline correctly. Wut gear did you use when you dyno'd? How will using lower gears affect numbers or is it just for consistency?

Old March 31st, 2011, 01:53 PM   #4
TrakCord

well for example the 7th gen accord has a final drive gear of 3.286 and a 3rd gear of 1.700 and a 4th gear of 1.250 i do all my dynos in fourth gear....i have dynod in third just to see the difference and it was lower i dont know exactly how much but i think more than 10whp lower its been awhile so i am not sure of the numbers but i do know it was significantly lower. i did a quik search and the 2003 350z has a 3.538 Final drive and a 3rd gear of 1.624 4th gear 1.271 and a 5th of 1.000....i would say 5th gear is def closer to the 1:1 ratio compared to 4th....this seems to be why the factory WHP #'s are so embarassing for a car rate @290hp...not knocking the 350z's they are great entry level performance cars but the numbers do not make sense...i would try to dyno in 3rd fourth and 5th to compare numbers then go from there...and definitely on a dynojet because it accounts for the wheel/tire combo replicating the street conditions more accurately.
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:55 PM   #5

on the dynapack at the shop we always use the closest gear to a 1:1 ratio. usually 4th (in 5 speed trannys)
scott0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:42 AM   #6

Thanks guys, me and a buddy of mine who is building a turbo vr6 are going to dyno our cars to get a good baseline, for me its 5th gear 1:1, but will it matter when I hit the speed limiter?
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:30 AM   #7

Type of dyno doesn't matter. Go with whatever dyno YOU prefer for the baseline. Just make sure you stick with that dyno. Each dyno reads differently, yes. BUT...I have seen some Mustang dyno's read higher numbers than a few Dynojets. My buddy with his TL went to 2 separate shops on the same day. One had a Mustang, one a Dynojet. The Dynojet read 30whp less than the Mustang, just for reference.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #8

1.1 is what everyone is suppose to dyno.
teezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #9

Thanks, I wasn't sure which gear was 1:1 on an accord. or if it mattered that I would hit the speed limiter before I hit redline. I knew that the popular gear for accord was 4th because its closest to 1, but in the 350z forums its fifth. Both being 6 speeds and understanding difference in FD ratio, I didn't know that each gear's ratio is different on each manufactuer. I thought all 5th gears were 1:1 for 6spds.
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #10
Banned

I have always wondered this as well, thanks for info
Test is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #11

My search yeilded sooooo many results because of the word dyno and gear even in the advanced search, I wasn't sure if this info was in any one particular thread. The first place I checked was our dyno section, but although helpful, did not have the specific info I was looking for. I figured, I could have pm'ed people to get the info I needed, but this way should someone search dyno, this will come up.
Old April 5th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #12

I think it should be 5th in the Accord as well, but we would hit the limiter. I think it's around 5500 in 5th. These are the gear ratios from the 6MT TL, which are identical to ours.

1st 3.933
2nd 2.478
3rd 1.700
4th 1.250
5th .975
6th .770
FD 3.285

LINK: http://www.new-cars.com/2004/acura/acura-tl-specs.html

As you can see, 5th is definitely the closest. It's .025 away from 1:1 and 4th is .250. I'm not sure how it would effect the final numbers.
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #13

Yeah, 5500 is definitly too low. I can see why most accords dyno in 4th. For the Z, its not too bad, I believe the speed limiter kicks in at 7200, which is not too bad considering the rev limiter kicks in at 7600.

I still can't believe how low your FD is, but I guess its great for boost.
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel72 View Post
Yeah, 5500 is definitly too low. I can see why most accords dyno in 4th. For the Z, its not too bad, I believe the speed limiter kicks in at 7200, which is not too bad considering the rev limiter kicks in at 7600.

I still can't believe how low your FD is, but I guess its great for boost.
Yea...even a 3.6-3.7 would probably do wonders for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in