Accord V6 Forum banner

Vid of 2004 TL 6MT turbo 343whp at 5psi

9K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  teezy 
#1 ·
#6 ·
^^ damn that turbo is massive, I guess they must really suck at tuning, that is too slow for a turbo that big. Is that dyno a dynopack? If so dont they attach to wheel hub and dont use rollers? If so the dyno numbers would be crank hp numbers not whp. My 2 cents.

Imho our engines are made for twin turbo, if we had flat-6 cylinder I would be all about large single turbo.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
That is not true. The dynapack has calibration features that you can input to accomodate to calculate the wheel weights, vehicle weight, size dimensisions etc etc. It's corrected. Truely its to the hubs and not to the crank. To the crank would be without a transmission, directly off a engine stand dyno. Dynapacks often read about 15whp more than a roller dyno.
It's not the tuning. It's the setup in itself. If you are going to boost 5lbs, you would choose a turbo that would be more efficient for displacement of the engine / boost goals. To me the turbo is far too large for 5lbs of boost.

#8 ·
yo i got questions....

if a turbo at 5psi can generate 343whp...

why does the mp62 at 5psi only generate 300whp? (exhaust driven vs pulley driven?) or is it the intake wheel trim of the turbo?

also what do you think the mp90 blower at 7psi would yield?

would the mp62 run 343 at 7psi?

what is the safest psi on a turbo for stock block with no sleeves?

what is the safest psi on a blower for a stock block with no sleeves?

just some questions i had that I hope you guys can answer...

#13 ·
if a turbo at 5psi can generate 343whp...

why does the mp62 at 5psi only generate 300whp? (exhaust driven vs pulley driven?) or is it the intake wheel trim of the turbo?

also what do you think the mp90 blower at 7psi would yield?

would the mp62 run 343 at 7psi?

what is the safest psi on a turbo for stock block with no sleeves?

what is the safest psi on a blower for a stock block with no sleeves?

just some questions i had that I hope you guys can answer...
Superchargers generate alot of heat, retaining that heat inside the engine results in lost of power. All the CT S/C's are not intercooled. Also the M62 is inefficient for the displacement of these engines. They belong on the 1.6-2.5 liter engines.
They can only flow so much CFM to make so much power.

s/c takes power to make power. turbo use waste (heat) and converts it to power. that is one of the reason why.
True.

Well Im sure everyones SC setups could put down more power with the appropriate mods and tunning same goes to this turbo setup. Heck Sean's 4psi SC setup is putting down ver 340 on a dynapack.

Really you need that NA potential first and then adding boost to that. Otherwise if you still have breathability problems they will persist to hinder you even with forced induction.

Kiet, on the dynapacks I don't think most people make that correction. Even Chuch's don't they have it calibrated like that. They have it setup to match what they had years ago and at that point I was putting down almost 280whp on their dynapacks. So im pretty sure that they are not factoring in wheel losses.
Depends on the tuner. Whenever I get my car tuned, Shawn inputs the vehicle weight and everything else. ;)

Dynapacks read low btw people the car is from toronto canada. I have no clue whos kit it is.
False. They do not. Rollers read lower. Dynapacks are the highest reading dynos simply due to the way they are calibrated. they often read about 5% more. I have a roller at my shop. ;)

Really dont care about dyno numbers, 1/4 mile times are where it is at. If u got power it is useless if u cant drive ;). Night hawk forgive my wording. From my experience I have seen dynopacks running slightly higher numbers than rollers. I only like dyno numbers if they get before and after modification dyno graphs from the same dynoshop. Dynos used correctly are used for tuning not to show off numbers. My revised 2 cents :)

Totally understand you bro. It's not about 1/4 mile time either. If you are going to drag race, there are bigger and better things you can build for drag racing. Now as for bragging rights down the drag strip, sure. Dyno and tuning is all about efficiency and consistencies in the power band. I can make mad horse power easily, but my graphs would be so skewed power would be ineffective.

What these guys did was slapped a huge turbo on the car, only to let it boost 5lbs. The turbo is most efficient at a much higher boost level. Basically all I'm saying is they could have selected a much better turbo efficient to the amount of boost they are intending to make. Now if the engine was built, they probably could up the boost to 15lbs and see significant number and curve changes on the graph.

#9 ·
s/c takes power to make power. turbo use waste (heat) and converts it to power. that is one of the reason why.

#10 ·
Well Im sure everyones SC setups could put down more power with the appropriate mods and tunning same goes to this turbo setup. Heck Sean's 4psi SC setup is putting down ver 340 on a dynapack.

Really you need that NA potential first and then adding boost to that. Otherwise if you still have breathability problems they will persist to hinder you even with forced induction.

Kiet, on the dynapacks I don't think most people make that correction. Even Chuch's don't they have it calibrated like that. They have it setup to match what they had years ago and at that point I was putting down almost 280whp on their dynapacks. So im pretty sure that they are not factoring in wheel losses.

#12 ·
Really dont care about dyno numbers, 1/4 mile times are where it is at. If u got power it is useless if u cant drive ;). Night hawk forgive my wording. From my experience I have seen dynopacks running slightly higher numbers than rollers. I only like dyno numbers if they get before and after modification dyno graphs from the same dynoshop. Dynos used correctly are used for tuning not to show off numbers. My revised 2 cents :)

#14 ·
I agree and disagree. Not sure if there is anything that is reliable. Dynos are inconsistent and the problem I have with quarter mile numbers is that there are guys out there that beat the $hit out of their tranny's. I've seen people just side step the clutch, not even take they're not even taking their foot off the gas, power shifting, that get good 1/4 numbers. I refuse to abuse my car like that.

#15 ·
I know that there suppose to read higher due to the way they are lack or rollers and etc. But all dynos that ive been to that have been dynapacks have read lower then the mustangs. Maybe its calibrating. Im a mustang dyno kind of guy. More exciting LOL.But Dynos are not for numbers in my own mind. Weve dynoed my friends sti and it made 500whp in bufflo then made 458 here in town and the weather calculations were also set but temps and elevations do play in numbers also.

I see dynos for tunning only. Bring the car to the track see what it does.

That TL made good torque tho 310ish at 3400 rpm bleeding off to redline.

#18 ·
hp numbers on the dyno dynometers tend to read a bit higher, but usually the engine is so heatsoaked from doing all the tuning, the final numbers are always a little low anyways..

my first trip to the churches when i first SC'd my car years ago, we managed 306hp after tuning.. heres the chart,

2 months later, i ran it on a dynojet and it actually read a little higher at 308hp. and that run was with some semi-heavy 19 wheels/tires.

but like tenzingsherpa said, trap speeds are the most important thing to look at. with my experience, i trapped approx 1 mph faster, with each 10hp added on the dyno.

that TL kit is definetly custom, i believe the jandr kit uses a precision turbo, not garrett.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.