a point of reference - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #1

a point of reference for mods

So on one of my others sites I was looking at some stuff and I saw innovative had a free dyno app for the iphone. I went to check it out but to get the good stuff they want $179.00 . While I was on the app page i saw all the other dyno apps and one stood out. So I popped on the home computer and read the reviews. There was alot of reviews. It was rated 4.5 out of 5. So I thought cool!! I will try it and use it as a point of reference.

No Im not gonna run around claiming dyno numbers and times!! As I add things to the car Im gonna make 2 back to back passes on a flat road to see if there are any gains. The same place over and over.

The name is dynolicious

You put in your weight so I hopped online and found that the curb weight on the 2003 V6 Accord sedan auto is 3415 and im 225. So I put a race weight of 3640. I made a soft mount from foam to hold it in the cupholder.

I made two passes. "completely stock"

tcs on
0-60 7.95
1/8 mile [email protected]
1/4 mile [email protected]
201hp

tcs off
0-60 7.85
211hp

The Cai is on its way. And the intake spacer showed up today. Its goes to get milled tomorrow.

Like I said its just a point of reference. The car had less then a 1/4 tank of gas. So Im sure the race weight is alittle high. Would make the dyno numbers higher.

Last edited by teezy; April 13th, 2011 at 01:15 PM..
teezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #2

Ok so I installed the mid ram intake. Sounds cheezy but it actually does feel better. I took the car to the same place and made two pulls with it and I could tell that is was gonna be better. Now remember Im not saying the car will go to a track and pull these times. This is just a point of reference.

Here is the one I ordered. I got it for 39.99 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUE-...Q5fAccessories

What I noticed right off was the launch. With the stock setup the car would almost bog or take a second to get air right off the hit. The CAI just spun the tires instantly. I also noticed it really seem to breathe better over 6k.

Results

0-60 7.54
216hp

0-60 7.58
219hp

Gain
7.85-7.54=.31

the intake spacer is milled. should see it this week. I will get it installed asap.

Last edited by teezy; April 13th, 2011 at 01:23 PM..
Old April 12th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Maverick_Supersonic

sounds pretty interesting
DjKing07AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 13th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #4

HONDA SPACER part#17108-RDJ-A00 40MM thick

after it was milled. Now 25MM thick

Got one new intake gasket part# 17105-RCA-A01

The stock bolts for the pilot are 8x105mm part#95701-08105-08.

The bolts need to be 15mm smaller due to milling for hood clearance. Honda sells them part#95701-08090-00 {X9} which are 8x90mm

The bolts will be here tomorrow and it will be installed. Results to come!

Last edited by teezy; April 13th, 2011 at 04:54 PM..
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:53 AM   #5

This will be an interesting read.
sirchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Definitely interested in seeing what the intake spacer does since I have one lol.
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #7
✔ Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to otsb708 Send a message via Skype™ to otsb708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
Definitely interested in seeing what the intake spacer does since I have one lol.

I've always thought about getting one of the many dyno apps for my phone, just never really have gotten around to it. It's nice to see someone on this site doing a write up using one haha.
otsb708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #8
NC Fresh

i guess this means i should actually install pauls spacer then huh....
iakona08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #9
2nd Gen CTSV

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect http://jforjustice.co.uk/banksters
Imageless83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #10
NC Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageless83 View Post
Can't wait for results coz i finally got Paul's spacer installed last week @ his shop.
did you watch him install it? How difficult does it look?? I have it just sitting in my room along with a bunch of other little goodies....

not sure whether to install the parts or sell them.... hrm....
iakona08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #11

Bolts showed up this morning. As long as my tech are not super busy which it doesnt look like it. The spacer will go in later today and the test runs will be done on the way home later tonight. I will post results as soon as I get home.

I think the next mod will be a test pipe.
MEGAN TEST PIPE CAT JDM 2003-2007 HONDA ACCORD EX LX V6 | eBay
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #12
2nd Gen CTSV

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect http://jforjustice.co.uk/banksters
Imageless83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #13

well the first results were not what I excepted. The first drive of the car it didnt feel as quick as before and I was right. It did the same thing the stock intake did off the start which was...pause then go..

0-60 7.67
205hp

0-60 7.74

Now before everyone freaks out!! Im gonna try a few things.

#1. Im gonna reset the ecu. I think with that added runner length the computer maybe need to relearn the timining and fuel curve. Might take a few days of driving. I will test it after.

#2 I did not port the holes in the spacer. The holes were alittle smaller then the gaskets. So Im gonna pull the spacer back off and port the holes.

So dont freak out yet!! just keeping you up to date
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #14

Thank you for putting forth the effort to come to a conclusion on whether these mods help or hurt our performance. I will definitely be looking at this thread, hoping for updates.

I will say that I can't see a CAI giving you 3mph in the 1/4 mile alone. But I'm interested nonetheless.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #15

Teezy,

I like on how you give us all of the details...

Great work.
sirchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #16
M![email protected] \_(ツ)_/

This is surely interesting... In for more updates!
HEcreated487 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
Thank you for putting forth the effort to come to a conclusion on whether these mods help or hurt our performance. I will definitely be looking at this thread, hoping for updates.

I will say that I can't see a CAI giving you 3mph in the 1/4 mile alone. But I'm interested nonetheless.
This may sound stupid but I actually could. Not due to a power gain though. I think because its drive by wire there is a small delay when you floor the gas. I think that due to all the curves in the stock airbox it makes the actually delay from no throttle to wot longer. With the CAI the delay was gone. The clock always starts when the car moves. So when you punch the gas the car rolls just enough to start the clock.

The CAI did help in the 6000-6500rpm. I could definately tell it was not choking up there

I have tried mashing the brake and gas to bring the car up on the convertor. But when you release the brake its like the computer realizes that both are depressed and you still get the delay. So Im trying to find a happy medium.
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirchadwick View Post
Teezy,

I like on how you give us all of the details...

Great work.
tinkering is fun!!
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #19

Ok its looks like reseting the ECU helped out alot!! Now I was suppose to drive the car around alittle more then I did but it was killing me to see if there was a change. I only made one pull.

0-60 7.53
1/8 [email protected]
1/4 [email protected]
208hp

Now with that beening said I want to say that Im impressed. The car actually accelerated faster with the delay it had like the stock airbox. Im gonna drive the car threw the weekend and make other run monday. Hopefully I can get it too the 7.4x's. If the car would just launch like it did with just a CAI.

Im probably gonna order the test pipe monday.
Old April 16th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by teezy View Post
I have tried mashing the brake and gas to bring the car up on the convertor. But when you release the brake its like the computer realizes that both are depressed and you still get the delay. So Im trying to find a happy medium.
First of all thank you for the write up. I apologize if you already know how to do this, according to the qoute, I'm just trying to help. Try brining the rpms a little higher. If it bogs then it was too low, if the tires roast then it was too high. Also, don't mash on the gas right away when you release the brake, you want the tires to spin a little bit so you don't break anything, then have at it.
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel72 View Post
First of all thank you for the write up. I apologize if you already know how to do this, according to the qoute, I'm just trying to help. Try brining the rpms a little higher. If it bogs then it was too low, if the tires roast then it was too high. Also, don't mash on the gas right away when you release the brake, you want the tires to spin a little bit so you don't break anything, then have at it.

I appreciate the info. I will try anything! That delay kills the launch.
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #22

I talked to my buddy at the muffler shop and he is gonna make me a test pipe this weekend.
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #23

cool thread im intrested if my j35 has that spacer in my 2004 saturn vue with the j35
nitroussaturn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #24

Ok after a week of driving with the ecu reset. I notice the mid range and low end is alot better. You can feel it running out of steam over 6k

New run
0-60 7.51
1/8 [email protected]
1/4 [email protected]
211hp

Next is test pipe. Just got to find time to get over to my buddies shop.
Old April 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #25

Looks like the only thing the spacer did is kill the top end. Peak power is probably lower and therefore, torque comes in slightly sooner. If I were you, I'd take it out. The 0-60 improved .03 over the intake alone, which could easily just be in the launch. You 'trapped' 2mph faster with just the intake as well. Doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

Props again for making this thread and showing some concrete evidence. Although the ET and MPH may not be indicative of what you'd run at the track, this is more about the before/after change.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Looks like the only thing the spacer did is kill the top end. Peak power is probably lower and therefore, torque comes in slightly sooner. If I were you, I'd take it out. The 0-60 improved .03 over the intake alone, which could easily just be in the launch. You 'trapped' 2mph faster with just the intake as well. Doesn't seem to be worth it to me.
Thats kinda my take on it right now as well as far the 1/4 mile gain. The car still pauses during the launch process like it did with the stock air intake setup. I have tried launch it many times to figure out the best way around it but it doesnt matter.

What I will say about the spacer is if you spend most of your time acceling from lights or passing people it really does make a difference. But if your wanting faster 1/4 mile times then its probably not gonna be much of a difference.

I ordered the test pipe yesterday. It was $52.00 from ebay shipped. Im gonna see if freeing up alittle exhaust helps the 6k plus. From seeing the dyno gains on the J-pipe and catbacks it looks like the car is very restricted in the exhaust area.

Im gonna see how it does with the spacer and probably pull the spacer off to see the difference.

Quote:
Props again for making this thread and showing some concrete evidence. Although the ET and MPH may not be indicative of what you'd run at the track, this is more about the before/after change.
Thank you!! It is fun messing with cars. If I wasnt building a race car with a inspection sticker I would probably go really far with these one.

I dont still plan to do a few things to improve this car though.
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #27
FG4

wow, this should be a sticky great work man, also i am curious to see the effects of the ur pulley
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
wow, this should be a sticky great work man, also i am curious to see the effects of the ur pulley
Im definately considering the pulley. I would probably run the stock size because Im gonna do some stereo later. The price is a bit much for the mod but we will see.
According to there website the gain is the same on both pullies.

Unorthodox Racing
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #29
Driver for hire

I am now subscribed. Good write up.

I was looking at adding the spacer in with doing the jpipe, exhaust, and intake - looks like a good deal for the gains.
Back-to-Basics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #30

TEST PIPE showed upyesterday and I should be installed today!! Results soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in