CL Type S 6MT simply mods dyno and 1/4 mile run - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #1
CLS 6MT 3.5psi

CL Type S 6MT simply mods dyno and 1/4 mile run

i never shared any info of my car here but i thought i can post some info finally...

so here it is

2003 Acura CL Type S 6MT currently 101k miles

Performance mods:
Injen CAI
XS headers
Underdrive lightweight crank pulley
CT axleback
P2R TB spacer
P2R IM thermo spacer
Ingals ETD
MAF oil catch can

dyno was done without P2R spacers but now car run much better and im thinking about getting it dyno again

it was Dynopack

247WHP/210TQ

dont mind car was hella dirty

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI-rzkRCFh4]YouTube - Acura CL Type S 6 SPD Dyno[/ame]

13,915s @ 101,4mph

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w7KYXWIwmw]YouTube - Acura CL Type S 6 speed eTown 1/4 mile[/ame]

here is pic of my car

My plans are P&P IM and runners new 3.5" CAI

XLR8 75A motor mounts that are supposely on the way

maybe CTSC next year

im sure i forgot about something... suggestions are welcome i want to make this car run 13.7 now thats my new goal
StreetKA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #2

What wheels and tires did you dyno with? 1/4 mile?
Old May 9th, 2011, 03:13 AM   #3
CLS 6MT 3.5psi

Dynopack is a hub dyno. You can see that on the video. Im running RonJon Servo rims 18x7.5 ET42. Tires 235/40 Potenza RE760 60foot was 2.28

Old May 9th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #4
TrakCord

nice bout time someone shows the true potential of this car...and ur numbers are still with the cat in im sure of it...keep it up!
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #5
CLS 6MT 3.5psi

Stock cat and mid pipe. But im planing to change that to highflow cat and 2.5" piping to axleback with magnaflow resonator. Im hoping for improvements because i dont want to loose the exhaust sound which i love.
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
03 AV6 Coupe

Very nice man! Love the CL-S 6MT
hondav6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetKA View Post
Stock cat and mid pipe. But im planing to change that to highflow cat and 2.5" piping to axleback with magnaflow resonator. Im hoping for improvements because i dont want to loose the exhaust sound which i love.
change the midpipe, but your stock cat is already high flow from the factory so its not going to be much of an improvement compared to the loss of emissions performance and the smell of the exhaust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #8

Nice numbers/times man. You seem to be keep improving and that's what counts. I've been stock at the same ET/trap even with more mods! Good job, especially on the stock midpipe.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #9
CLS 6MT 3.5psi

still waiting for those engine mounts... engine wobbles terribly, once i get that fixed i will hit the track again
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #10

Both your ET and trap should improve if I'm not mistaken. Motor movement during launch and each shift should definitely hurt acceleration, especially for FWD vehicles. I think I have the same problem. Well, I think it's my tranny mount, not motor mounts. Wouldn't be surprised though.
Old May 10th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #11
TrakCord

well a couple things here...i dont care how big your exhaust is after the Catalytic there is a limit to how much power you will gain...also your exhaust is only as good as its smallest point ...and getting stiff motor mounts is probly the best thing you can do for this car
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #12
CLS 6MT 3.5psi

So you guys do not recommend swaping cats for high flow ? I belive that there is something in there to unlock.
Old May 10th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #13

Cat = pu$$y

I think you should do a custom header with a true 3" merge collector mated to a 3" exhaust. You'd probably gain 10-15whp from your current header collector/stock midpipe.
Old May 10th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #14
CLS 6MT 3.5psi

3" is to big. 2.5" will be perfectly fine. 3" is overkill. There are custom long tube headers that Paul makes but for me too pricey for now as long as i have those im happy with it. This car is my dd so going catless is not an option for me. Port n polish im and runners is next thing and mid pipe. I think i will be done by this point. If funds permit next year i'll put CTSC
Old May 10th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #15

Ah but 3" is perfect especially if you have semi-tentative plans to boost in the near future.

I don't know much about the CL-s exhaust from the factory, but I'd imagine a HFC would flow better. Paul is saying they flow well already from the factory. As long as it's 2.5in, you may be okay. But definitely get a midpipe that matches your header collector.
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #16
TrakCord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
Ah but 3" is perfect especially if you have semi-tentative plans to boost in the near future.

I don't know much about the CL-s exhaust from the factory, but I'd imagine a HFC would flow better. Paul is saying they flow well already from the factory. As long as it's 2.5in, you may be okay. But definitely get a midpipe that matches your header collector.
just give up bro he doesnt wanna be catless or 3"...dont worry i hav a feeling once he gets the mod bug and starts losing to people he will think differently...thats why i gutted the Fek outta my accord race car becuz the desire to be faster took me over! lol...oh n sonnick i gotta lil suprise for u buddy ...lets jus say bigger is better ...yea n the CL-S6 has the ability to make around 280+whp if modded properly 300+if tuned and thats N/A=No Boost
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #17
Herp derp

Street - if you're going 2.5" on the exhaust you need to upgrade the cat because stock is 2.25". What headers are you running? XS headers have a 2.5" collector and the CTs have a 2.25" collector.

Im still waiting for Paul to finish up the headers for me. Im hoping that it will allow me to break 300whp finally. Im really interested in the torque numbers more then anything though.

The Excellerate high flow cat is a nice piece, but expensive. Thats why I went with a universal 2.5" Magnaflow cat. Dont forget a resonator though if you dont want any drone.

And I need those damn mounts too.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #18
TrakCord

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
Street - if you're going 2.5" on the exhaust you need to upgrade the cat because stock is 2.25". What headers are you running? XS headers have a 2.5" collector and the CTs have a 2.25" collector.

Im still waiting for Paul to finish up the headers for me. Im hoping that it will allow me to break 300whp finally. Im really interested in the torque numbers more then anything though.

The Excellerate high flow cat is a nice piece, but expensive. Thats why I went with a universal 2.5" Magnaflow cat. Dont forget a resonator though if you dont want any drone.

how much power do you make now? dyno graph? 1/4 mile?...i saw ur build on A-Zine thts nice!
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #19
CLS 6MT 3.5psi

Quote:

i think im gonna go same route. What kind of cat was it ? and also what kind of resonator you had... your car is too quite... :P i'd love to keep the way it sounds but some more power would be nice
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #20

In the 1/8th what did you run? With my car mostly stock except for the single 3 inch exhaust I ran between 9.4-9.6 all night but my launch sucks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Single 3 inch with apexi turbo muffler
-BFI(Big [email protected]*ing Intake)
*More to come
bboy_trevstuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #21
CLS 6MT 3.5psi

9.08 was my 1/8 mile time with ****ty launch 2.28 iirc
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #22
Herp derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanob247 View Post
how much power do you make now? dyno graph? 1/4 mile?...i saw ur build on A-Zine thts nice!
Im currently at 294/275 at the wheels untuned with cracked headers. I was also running very rich - my AFRs were down into the low 11s, high 10s at WOT above ~5500rpm. I really need a tune but im waiting for someone to get the AEM EMS running properly first. I dont want to be the guinea pig. I havent made it to the track yet. Id like to go this season some time.

Street - I forget what model cat i got, but its one of the spun high flow cats Magnaflow offers. The resonator is a 28" Magnaflow IIRC. Dont know the part number on that either. The exhaust is loud when i want it to be, but there is zero drone.

cbk0485 likes this.
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Im currently at 294/275 at the wheels untuned with cracked headers. I was also running very rich - my AFRs were down into the low 11s, high 10s at WOT above ~5500rpm. I really need a tune but im waiting for someone to get the AEM EMS running properly first. I dont want to be the guinea pig. I havent made it to the track yet. Id like to go this season some time.

Street - I forget what model cat i got, but its one of the spun high flow cats Magnaflow offers. The resonator is a 28" Magnaflow IIRC. Dont know the part number on that either. The exhaust is loud when i want it to be, but there is zero drone.

Nice numbers. P2R has the AEM EMS running on their J32a2 Accord making over 300/270. You're not the guinea pig. You'd probably gain another 20whp/tq, if not more.
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #24
TrakCord

Quote:

thats a nice dyno...a couple things though your air/fuels are only reading those rich numbers (which are inaccurate BTW) becuz the wideband thats attached to your tail pipe is off is not getting a true reading becuz like you said you have cracked headers so the exhaust is leaking out therefore reading improperly at the tailpipe....also the AEM EMS is designed for the automatic engine harness with a 6-speed tranny....there are only a few different sensors that need to be changed to run the AEM EMS on your car....i believe you need the following sensors/parts from and automatic V6 from the years 99-03: Crank position sensor and trigger wheel on the crankshaft, the cam position sensor and the trigger cam gear, and i think the water temp sensor as well...if you are a do-it-yourselfer this is no problem at all. you are already way ahead of the game with your car becuz you have the cable throttle and dont have to worry about the wiring mess that us 7th gen guys have to deal with....the AEM EMS is plug-and-play to your cars engine harness and interior harness...luky you!

BTW you should make between 330whp+ with the proper tune but the real gains are in the midrange where it counts
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #25

^What kind of dyno? Full spec sheet? What were you tuning with, since you didn't have AEM EMS?
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #26

nice #'s
elliott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #27
TrakCord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiffer View Post
^What kind of dyno? Full spec sheet? What were you tuning with, since you didn't have AEM EMS?
i think he is on stock ECU
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #28
Herp derp

Sorry for thread jack Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanob247 View Post
thats a nice dyno...a couple things though your air/fuels are only reading those rich numbers (which are inaccurate BTW) becuz the wideband thats attached to your tail pipe is off is not getting a true reading becuz like you said you have cracked headers so the exhaust is leaking out therefore reading improperly at the tailpipe....also the AEM EMS is designed for the automatic engine harness with a 6-speed tranny....there are only a few different sensors that need to be changed to run the AEM EMS on your car....i believe you need the following sensors/parts from and automatic V6 from the years 99-03: Crank position sensor and trigger wheel on the crankshaft, the cam position sensor and the trigger cam gear, and i think the water temp sensor as well...if you are a do-it-yourselfer this is no problem at all. you are already way ahead of the game with your car becuz you have the cable throttle and dont have to worry about the wiring mess that us 7th gen guys have to deal with....the AEM EMS is plug-and-play to your cars engine harness and interior harness...luky you!

BTW you should make between 330whp+ with the proper tune but the real gains are in the midrange where it counts
The AFR reading was actually right from my wideband. My exhaust leak is at the flex pipe and the wideband is right before it, so the numbers should be pretty accurate.

In order for me to run the auto sensors, i need to swap the engine harness as well. And as far as being a guinea pig, I know there are a few cars running it. But I need to have a fully functioning gauge cluster which hasnt been confirmed yet and AEM cant/wont give us an answer. At the moment Im not 100% sure what other systems talk to the ecu (i.e. - hvac, abs, etc).

Current mods:
3.6l stroker
80mm throttle body
Full 2.5" exhaust
XS headers
Lightweight crank pulley
Clutchmasters stage 3 clutch w/ lightweight flywheel
Stock ecu

Those numbers are from a Land and Sea dyno in ~60* weather, low humidity.

Old May 12th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #29
★★★★

You absolutely will not have a working cluster without electrical mods, i.e. signal modifiers for the speed sensors/tach. It is a matter of installing them, that is all.

Everything else will function completely normally, and on these cars, nothing other than AC runs through the ECU. You can even change the coolant temp/idle at which the AC is turned on/off.

In addition to the numerous j-swapped civics/tegs successfully running AEM as well as P2R, both myself and Tom (both J35s) are also successfully tuned on the EMS and we're both FI.

Edit: well mine blew on the dyno, so I suppose I can't say successful per se, but it had nothing to do with the fuel delivery/ECU. Haha.

Last edited by MoneyPit; May 12th, 2011 at 08:38 PM..
MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #30
Herp derp

You mention the AC runs through the ECU. Does that mean it doesnt work with the EMS? Thats a deal breaker for me as Im moving out to the desert later this year.
civicdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in