My car is slow. WTF. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #1

My car is slow. WTF.

Okay, yeah I know I'm new here, but there's good info on this site and some of the people seem to know what they're talking about.

The problem: my car.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with the damn thing. When I first bought the car in March, it ran fine, had plenty of power and the first time I took it to the track with 93 unleaded it ran a best of [email protected] I remember being a bit pissed off considering that I've seen these cars go mid-low 14's with everyone else driving, but damn. Old times:

19/MARCH/2011 Temp:57-F Elevation: 593ft
60' - 2.390 (still had a bogging problem)
330 - 6.413
1/8 - 9.642
MPH - 76.90
1000 - 12.382
1/4 - 14.710
MPH - 96.84

Density Altitude using dragtimes.com = 85ft or 99.75% relative density

Now. . . its just flat out terrible. A few weeks ago the car just got rather sluggish as the weather heated up. I had a short ram intake on there, and I figured it was sucking up a bunch of hot air, so I took it off and put the stock box back on with a K&N drop in filter. Since then, the driveability has improved as well as low end and mid range throttle response and power. The engine feels GOOD! That's the thing, but I take it to the track and it will bog. . . it's slow to rev, and it refuses to run better than a [email protected] That was a few weeks ago with the SRI. I took it off, the engine felt like it ran a ton better, took it back to the track, ran a best of [email protected]

So, I figured that perhaps it wanted a tune up or something. Just put brand new plugs in this morning as the old ones were still original (the car has 96,000 miles). Car felt good, street driveabilty was spot on. Confident, I took it to the same track that it ran the old [email protected] in. The result, TERRIBLE.

9/JULY/2011 Temp: 88-F Elevation: 593ft
60' - 2.543 (it bogs TERRIBLY upon flooring it)
330 - 6.769
1/8 - 10.149
MPH - 72.55
1000 - 13.014
1/4 - 15.434
MPH - 93.17

Density Altitude using dragtimes.com = 2792ft or 92.16% relative density

WTF...... I know its hot outside, but this doesn't seem to affecting anyone else's cars. It runs smoothly, all of the old plugs I pulled out looked normal for their age, all of the sensors seem to be working fine. There are no CEL or SES lights, no codes, no anything. . . .just mid-low 14 second car running mid 15's with 5-6mph worth of top end totally missing.

Does ANYONE have and ideas as to what the hell is wrong with this car? Yeah the density altitude calculation puts the warms days back in line with what the car originally ran, but why is this thing so damn sensitive to hot weather? Literally everyone else's cars seemed to be running what they typically run. Everyone except for MINE.

If anyone else has some similar experiences, be enlighten me. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain WTF is happening here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roca Fella Brya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #2
frumaroll

dam. so its the same weather and you ran that much slower? how many miles u put on since u bought it?
six6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #3

Well, it was much hotter now than it was then. Roughly a ~35 degree difference between the two runs. That's why I attempted to use the DA calculator to try and even the score, and it does to a certain extent.

The only problem is, given the 60' times and what other's are running, the car is still significantly slower despite launching similar to others. This is the most frustrating thing! I like this car 99% of the time, but now I hate the stupid thing.

Old July 9th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #4
yal

o2 sensors slow? Not slow enough to set off a CEL but slow enough to affect hard off the line performance.

Just guessing...
yal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Bobby Lane Racing

put a different driver in it and see if there's a difference.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
put a different driver in it and see if there's a difference.
The night of the 7th, we had a total of 3 different drivers in there. Including a guy who's identical car went a 14.3

Everyone concluded that there was no getting any better with it LOL. I drove home in shame and even turned down a race against a GSR Integra in fear that I wouldn't be able to win. That should NOT happen in these cars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 9th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #7
V6 6SPD

Lol ur funny. It's a honda accord. Should've showed that gsr what's up with your 14/15 sec quarter lol.
allgonoshow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #8
SFL AV6

Ironically a Gsr pick on me the other night also, lil did he know I was picking on him lol
Randomhero likes this.

jiga21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #9
frumaroll

35 degree difference is pretty big in my opinion. try goin again when its cooler outside
six6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by six6 View Post
35 degree difference is pretty big in my opinion. try goin again when its cooler outside
Ditto, look at the difference in DA. That is huge. Your sixty foot times are bad, what did the other guy's 60' foot times look like? Are you foot breaking at all on the launch?
Silver 03 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 03 Coupe View Post
Ditto, look at the difference in DA. That is huge. Your sixty foot times are bad, what did the other guy's 60' foot times look like? Are you foot breaking at all on the launch?
Its a six speed lol. I typically try a 3,000rpm launch and floor it after it hops around a bit. Drove the car around today (90*F outside) and had zero problems putting distance on a supercharged Cobalt SS, which is yet another car that outperformed mine on the hot racetrack.

It feels "normal" and "peppy" on the street though there still is a good bog off the line, but this is a 3 liter V6. I had a modded 6-speed 3.5SE Maxima directly before I had this car, so my expectation of torque output is a bit tainted though the J30A4 has a beautiful top end (when acting right) that the VQ35DE does not have. Hopefully once finances start opening up, I'd like to J35 swap this car.

Old July 10th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roca Fella Brya View Post
Its a six speed lol. I typically try a 3,000rpm launch and floor it after it hops around a bit.
Hops around a bit? Wheel hop is not good it means your losing traction and as such hurting your times, not to mention your poor axles and motor mounts, I would address the wheel hop issue first if I was you,1 also if the J series are anything like the K they are VERY temperature sensitive anything you can do to get those intake temps down or hold off heat soak will help.
Rushzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #13

So you're switching the stock intake on for street use and SRI for track use???
Jakefrom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #14

its the temps and your 60ft man.
believe me, i live in florida and its hot as hell and humid too, and right now, i cant get better than a 14.2 with a 2.1-2.2 60ft, and everyone else with my mods are running 13.9's in other states, so i am getting sticky tires and an ingalls stiffy mount to help plant the power to the ground, and i picked up a aem v2 cai to help with heat soak i had from a short ram....gl man

try checking vacuum lines and sensor connections as well just in case. the bogging issue should not be that bad just because of heat...
AARON-CLS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARON-CLS-6 View Post
believe me, i live in florida and its hot as hell and humid too, and right now, i cant get better than a 14.2 with a 2.1-2.2 60ft, and everyone else with my mods are running 13.9's in other states, so i am getting sticky tires and an ingalls stiffy mount to help plant the power to the ground, and i picked up a aem v2 cai to help with heat soak i had from a short ram....gl man

try checking vacuum lines and sensor connections as well just in case. the bogging issue should not be that bad just because of heat...
^ good advice also if you are switching intakes constantly for street and track use are you resetting the ecu? If not that maybe the problem with your bogging too
Rushzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #16

I feel your pain man. While not fully, I know what it's like to come home from the track disappointed all too well. I went to the track with CAI/Jpipe and ran the same ET that I did with full bolt ons. Only my trap was worse with more mods!! My 60
' was slower as well. So a slower 60' but the same ET, with a worse trap? That doesn't even make sense, but it happened. The last few times I've gone, the car has felt dirt slow. The heat REALLY affects these cars from my experience. Sometimes the car just doesn't feel fast, then the next day it will feel soo much better.

Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't get too discouraged just yet. The difference in DA from your runs is enough to make a large difference. Go back to the track when it's cooler out and I bet you will run identical times as you did before. Just practice your launching and maybe you can even run better.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to TylerT
^ I'm almost tempted to look into some kind of cooling mods for this car.

More efficient rad, coolant bypass, possibly allow more airflow to make to the engine?

I am spoiled for living on the coast, but I hate driving my car inland .. definitely feels sluggish when it's in the 80s / 90s .
TylerT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #18
✔ Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to otsb708 Send a message via Skype™ to otsb708
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerT View Post
I am spoiled for living on the coast, but I hate driving my car inland .. definitely feels sluggish when it's in the 80s / 90s .
otsb708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #19

^ +1
sirchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #20
cunning linguist

How are your motor mounts?
If they've gotten worse since your earlier and more recent runs, the power isn't being planted & it can for sure cause those ET & Trap speed changes.

I'd take a look - these things EAT the OEM ones!

-Brian-
04 6spd Coupe-> 10 4cyl Coupe-> 11 V6 Coupe
07 V6 Auto Sedan-> 10 CR-V
Mod'd Z06 - Sold for move
MorePower4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARON-CLS-6 View Post

I've checked all of the "important" sensor connections in the intake track. I cleaned the IAT, and the MAP sensor appears to be working fine. I took the short ram off and just left the stock box with a K&N filter inside of it. This has helped daily driveability as I was experiencing even worse bogging and lack of low end power with the short ram on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushzer0 View Post
^ good advice also if you are switching intakes constantly for street and track use are you resetting the ecu? If not that maybe the problem with your bogging too
The ECU was reset when the intake was switched from the short ram to the stock intake. I thought about switching the two out at the track but decided against it. One of the slow 15 second runs was done with the short ram, and the car trapped like 91. With the stock intake back on, plugs and a reset ECU (battery unplugged for one hour), the car ran slightly quicker in the low 15's and trapped nearly 94mph.

Ironically, the same day there was a guy with an intake and racing header K20Z3 Civic Si busting off 15 second runs too. He was complaining of the same problems so I didn't feel too bad, however lots of other cars made by other brands weren't having too many difficulties. A lot of the forced induction cars were hating it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
I feel your pain man. While not fully, I know what it's like to come home from the track disappointed all too well. I went to the track with CAI/Jpipe and ran the same ET that I did with full bolt ons. Only my trap was worse with more mods!! My 60
' was slower as well. So a slower 60' but the same ET, with a worse trap? That doesn't even make sense, but it happened. The last few times I've gone, the car has felt dirt slow. The heat REALLY affects these cars from my experience. Sometimes the car just doesn't feel fast, then the next day it will feel soo much better.

Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't get too discouraged just yet. The difference in DA from your runs is enough to make a large difference. Go back to the track when it's cooler out and I bet you will run identical times as you did before. Just practice your launching and maybe you can even run better.
Yeah thanks man! I was driving it yesterday and today and it was back to its usual self. This morning (it was about 72 degrees at 8am) it felt plenty peppy and capable of a mid 14 second run, but come lunch time when it was 99 degrees, it was definitely back to its sluggish ways. Come to think of it, I can't imagine what the actual on the track temperatures were that day. It was outrageously humid and zero cloud cover. It had to be 100+ on the asphalt.

I normally don't keep cars too long before trading or selling for other ones, but I like the design of this car enough that I think I want to keep it throughout the rest of college. With that said, I'm starting to put together a savings account for the "Accord J35A4" swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerT View Post
^ I'm almost tempted to look into some kind of cooling mods for this car.

More efficient rad, coolant bypass, possibly allow more airflow to make to the engine?

Yeah I've been reading about the coolant bypass mod and wanted to take a stab at that this weekend. I also bought some "water wetter" that people claim really works, so I hope that'll help out. The car is good up until about 82 degrees or so when you can feel your power being sapped away by the ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower4me View Post
How are your motor mounts?
If they've gotten worse since your earlier and more recent runs, the power isn't being planted & it can for sure cause those ET & Trap speed changes.

I'd take a look - these things EAT the OEM ones!
I've been under the car plenty of times lately. I've checked them and they look to be okay. I don't let the front end hop around too much (in the warm the car barely spins a tire), but I'll still purchase a torque damper sometime here if they make them for these cars. My old 6-speed Maxima needed it badly.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Old July 11th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #22

our engines heatsoak like crazy! after one summer of dealing with the sluggishness or lag in performance i decided to prop my hood and add a dryer hose from the front air dam of the bumper to the intake filter. IMO, it made a difference. No more lagging on hot humid days. The hood looks off but oh well. And no i am NOT a fan of propped hoods but it does help. Do i get a lot of criticism? yes but i dont care.

On the other hand, for some reason (as im sure Sonnick has experienced), these accords have their good days and bad days. Some days my car feels nice and strong and other days it'll bog down every time i switch gears. Weather did not matter. Must be something with the ECU?? It could run nice on a warm day and bog on a cool day.

Last edited by AnothaAznGuy; July 11th, 2011 at 03:46 PM..
AnothaAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #23

AnothaAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roca Fella Brya View Post
Okay, yeah I know I'm new here, but there's good info on this site and some of the people seem to know what they're talking about.

The problem: my car.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with the damn thing. When I first bought the car in March, it ran fine, had plenty of power and the first time I took it to the track with 93 unleaded it ran a best of [email protected] I remember being a bit pissed off considering that I've seen these cars go mid-low 14's with everyone else driving, but damn. Old times:

19/MARCH/2011 Temp:57-F Elevation: 593ft
60' - 2.390 (still had a bogging problem)
330 - 6.413
1/8 - 9.642
MPH - 76.90
1000 - 12.382
1/4 - 14.710
MPH - 96.84

Density Altitude using dragtimes.com = 85ft or 99.75% relative density

Now. . . its just flat out terrible. A few weeks ago the car just got rather sluggish as the weather heated up. I had a short ram intake on there, and I figured it was sucking up a bunch of hot air, so I took it off and put the stock box back on with a K&N drop in filter. Since then, the driveability has improved as well as low end and mid range throttle response and power. The engine feels GOOD! That's the thing, but I take it to the track and it will bog. . . it's slow to rev, and it refuses to run better than a [email protected] That was a few weeks ago with the SRI. I took it off, the engine felt like it ran a ton better, took it back to the track, ran a best of [email protected]

So, I figured that perhaps it wanted a tune up or something. Just put brand new plugs in this morning as the old ones were still original (the car has 96,000 miles). Car felt good, street driveabilty was spot on. Confident, I took it to the same track that it ran the old [email protected] in. The result, TERRIBLE.

9/JULY/2011 Temp: 88-F Elevation: 593ft
60' - 2.543 (it bogs TERRIBLY upon flooring it)
330 - 6.769
1/8 - 10.149
MPH - 72.55
1000 - 13.014
1/4 - 15.434
MPH - 93.17

Density Altitude using dragtimes.com = 2792ft or 92.16% relative density

WTF...... I know its hot outside, but this doesn't seem to affecting anyone else's cars. It runs smoothly, all of the old plugs I pulled out looked normal for their age, all of the sensors seem to be working fine. There are no CEL or SES lights, no codes, no anything. . . .just mid-low 14 second car running mid 15's with 5-6mph worth of top end totally missing.

Does ANYONE have and ideas as to what the hell is wrong with this car? Yeah the density altitude calculation puts the warms days back in line with what the car originally ran, but why is this thing so damn sensitive to hot weather? Literally everyone else's cars seemed to be running what they typically run. Everyone except for MINE.

If anyone else has some similar experiences, be enlighten me. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain WTF is happening here.
That's not so bad, the DA for my runs was 3,000-4,000..... Bogging ? Please 2.3 is NOT bogging haha, if you have ever been to this track it's hell on earth, no grip.

Here's with short ram intake, cat delete, and exhaust cutout.

Here's what I ran bone stock(on the right; DA was 3400) I had one run with 94.2 trap, the rest were 93's.... What's funny is on the night of the above slip I could run 15.5+ and still trap 95-97 mph!

05J30VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #25

My 60 foot got worse when I went from 215/50 to 225/45's !!! But trap went up(thanks in part to breather mods though as well).
Old December 12th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #26
AccordingToSean

Send a message via AIM to AccordingToSean
i used to have a 15 second car. Now im mid 12's with less than 1,400 in mods and balding stock tires, and you know that that wasn't in the accord.

If you want a fast car, start with something tht has potential. Id start that saving acount with a 5.0 in mind.. if you miss torque, look no further.
AccordingToSean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 12th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #27
The name is Z

Why is this thread still going?
CrackerTeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerTeg View Post
Why is this thread still going?
Someone posted and revived the thread, then deleted their post.... So it looks like I revived it. I didn't even look at the dates.
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #29
Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05J30VTEC View Post
Someone posted and revived the thread, then deleted their post.... So it looks like I revived it. I didn't even look at the dates.
Lol and my comment to them about it was deleted as well.

In any case to give something to this thread, the guys problems sounds like a driver issue.

Last edited by NvrDwn; December 12th, 2012 at 05:16 PM..
NvrDwn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 12th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #30
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordingToSean View Post
i used to have a 15 second car. Now im mid 12's with less than 1,400 in mods and balding stock tires, and you know that that wasn't in the accord.

If you want a fast car, start with something tht has potential. Id start that saving acount with a 5.0 in mind.. if you miss torque, look no further.

Yea because you owned an Auto
Our 6spds are in the 13's if done right.
But you do have a point since I know you got a newer Mustang.
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in