Best RPM to launch at? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:38 AM   #1

Best RPM to launch at?

So I literraly searched for about an hour trying to find the answer to this question and even went over to the 1/4 mile forum and couldnt come up with an answer.

For the guys that run at the track what RPM do you launch at that gives you the best time? Just curious. Was reading one thread about a guy who only had toyo tires, custom exhaust and an AEM intake and was running 13.9's with a close to 2.0 60ft time. People asked in the thread what he was launching at but he never responded. What are you guys launching at for most effective 1/4 mile times?
MoarLow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2011, 09:20 AM   #2
CLS 6MT 3.5psi

from my experience the best rpms to launch is around 2500rpms so you wont get alot of wheel hop and you should not loose to much traction. my best ET was 13.9 but i drive Acura CL 6MT u can try higher rpms but then u must got good solid engine mounts and sticky tires i heard some people launching at 4500 but i tried that and it was much worse so i say try few times and find it yourself
StreetKA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:30 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to TylerT
It really depends on track conditions.

If the track is hooking up, it seems you can launch at around 3000-3500rpm while feathering the clutch off the line. The idea is getting the most possible momentum and keeping the most amount of grip. It comes at the expense of burning up your clutch a little bit but results in the fastest 60' times.

If the track isn't hooking up, launch at around 2000-25000rpm and you won't spin too badly and you'll get a decent to mediocre 60'.

It's hard launching FWD at the track, good luck.

EDIT: StreetKA is right, motor mounts are a necessity at the track and they save your axles / transmission internals.

An ideal track setup would be aftermarket hard motor mounts (75a+), decent track tires and having your car lowered.
TylerT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 31st, 2011, 10:39 AM   #4

Remember that track times are relative. Many of the guys that get good track times are also beating the crap out of their car, I've seen guys barely side stepping the clutch, power shifting, feathering the clutch at launch. I just can't do that to my dd. Your best bet is 2500 - 3000, dump the clutch it will churp a little, this is good so u don't damage the drive shaft components, once it hooks, then floor it. It won't be the best times, but its still very fun and educational.
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:14 AM   #5
CLS 6MT 3.5psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel72 View Post
remember that track times are relative. Many of the guys that get good track times are also beating the crap out of their car, i've seen guys barely side stepping the clutch, power shifting, feathering the clutch at launch. I just can't do that to my dd. Your best bet is 2500 - 3000, dump the clutch it will churp a little, this is good so u don't damage the drive shaft components, once it hooks, then floor it. It won't be the best times, but its still very fun and educational.
+1
StreetKA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:20 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to TylerT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel72 View Post
Remember that track times are relative. Many of the guys that get good track times are also beating the crap out of their car, I've seen guys barely side stepping the clutch, power shifting, feathering the clutch at launch. I just can't do that to my dd. Your best bet is 2500 - 3000, dump the clutch it will churp a little, this is good so u don't damage the drive shaft components, once it hooks, then floor it. It won't be the best times, but its still very fun and educational.
+1

I was getting 2.5 - 2.6 60's because I was afraid on breaking something .. the track was really well prepped and my car had about 94,000mi at the time.

Not to mention the track was 120mi from home

This is where aftermarket motor mounts and stiffer suspension come into play.
Old July 31st, 2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Bobby Lane Racing

its all about how you are setup. what tires you use, their size, the brand, the compound. The tire pressure. Also keeping the tires planted with traction, the ground temps also make a different. the allignment, the suspension, the modifications to support and keep the car on the ground, It's not about what RPM you launch at. it's about you, knowing your car, you know how its setup, and what you as the operator can do with the setup. The better the setup, the more aggressive you can launch it. Don't expect things to not break though. Drag racing = Break things racing.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:57 PM   #8

Yeah I was just wondering because I have taken my car to the track on 2 seperate occassions and both times ran 14.7's when plenty of people run 14.2's and I know its all due to my launch. I am going to give my car a solid tune up here in the next couple of weeks so it should be running pretty healthy. The next question is, is how dumb is it to run a car at the track that has 160,000 miles on it. I think its pretty dumb and probably not my best idea. With that said the car runs just as good as the day I bought it (with 110,000 miles 4 years ago). Dumb idea to run it? I mean I drive it fairly hard on the street. I usually cant keep my foot out of it even on a 5 min drive so its not like its not use to being floored. Thoughts?
MoarLow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarLow View Post
Yeah I was just wondering because I have taken my car to the track on 2 seperate occassions and both times ran 14.7's when plenty of people run 14.2's and I know its all due to my launch. I am going to give my car a solid tune up here in the next couple of weeks so it should be running pretty healthy. The next question is, is how dumb is it to run a car at the track that has 160,000 miles on it. I think its pretty dumb and probably not my best idea. With that said the car runs just as good as the day I bought it (with 110,000 miles 4 years ago). Dumb idea to run it? I mean I drive it fairly hard on the street. I usually cant keep my foot out of it even on a 5 min drive so its not like its not use to being floored. Thoughts?
Its not the mileage its what kind of maintenance you give the car like regular oil changes, timing belt water pump,etc just in the engine then the drive shaft stuff like ball joints,axles,etc.
elliott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:02 AM   #10

^+1 LoL! My car has 144,xxx miles on it and I race it every summer it's all about taking care of your vehicle
Rushzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in