Closed deck J blocks - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #1

Closed deck J blocks

These guys are building J series blocks with block guards for turbo sandrail applications.

...have any of the turbo/SC Accords been having any issues running an open deck block?
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Bobby Lane Racing

it depends on how much horsepower you are making. However once you use block guards, or close the deck on a honda engine, you basically just turned your car into a Drag only application. Close deck blocks don't do well sprint racing, road racing, etc. From experience they hold too much heat in the engine and does not allow to cool down fast enough for long spirited driving like road racing. As far as drag applications, they are what you want for high boost, high horsepower, 1 pass, kind of racing.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #3

I was searching acurazine and saw one of Paul's builds. It looks like he installed a block guard for a SC J36.

Old October 24th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Bobby Lane Racing

i'm not saying it's a bad idea. Paul knows what he's doing. I'm just telling you from the experience that I have... Most of the engines I build really get put to the test. They don't just do a couple of freeway passes or a pass down the drag strip. They often times get driven hard for hours pinging the rev limiter non stop around a road course.

These guys with sand rails, you gotta remember, they aren't building a street car. They are building a toy to go fast. You're comparing apples to oranges if you are thinking that would be something to compare to.

Just like Formula 1, Nascar, and than your funny drag cars. All their engines are built differently. They all have life expectancies. They aren't built to last long. They are built to get the job done and thats it. When the season or event is over, they put in a new engine.

Now if you're planning to boost 20+lbs, make over 500whp, 500ftlbs. Than yes, sleeve the block. As far as longevity and reliability, throw that out the window.

I have a J35 that makes over 330whp, and over 300ftlbs of torque naturally aspirated. It's a open deck, sleeved, with pistons and rods. I beat the crap out of the engine. I broke it in on the dyno and at the track. I put about 10,000 miles on the engine so far, 8,000 of it was at the race track... It's still running strong.
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #5

^What are all of the specs of your engine build? You're using a 07-08 TL-S J35, correct?
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Bobby Lane Racing

yes 07 TL-S, L.A Sleeves, CP Piston, Carillo rods, machined and balanced crank shaft/rotating assembly.

Ported cylinder heads, (exhaust side), and port matched the intake side.

Supertech Titanium valve train with oversized exhaust valves

Alot more I can't think of.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:39 PM   #7

block guards should only be used id the block is to be torn down a season or two after. the have been proven to oval cylinders and if they are not welded in you chance it dropping. block post or MID's ftw!
whispering eye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in