N/A Capabilities? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:18 PM   #1

N/A Capabilities?

What are the max hp/tq and rpm values we can see in a fully built J35/36 for a daily driver? I've never been big into s/c or t/c if anyone suggests just doing that...

I see that nighthawk got 322 with his TL-s J35 ( ) but I'm wondering what else can be done to make more?

His c.r. was 11.5, can that be raised any (12:1 or 12.5:1) and still work on pump gas?

Late next year I plan to do a full build to a J36 and wondering what I can look forward to like the possibility 350whp?

If anyone has done better than his build, I'd like to know your results.

Josh
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:13 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to fastV6 Send a message via Yahoo to fastV6
like this threat. Subscribed!
fastV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Full time worker/student

Josh, if you get this build done we should definitely meet up!
FoXD!e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 4th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoXD!e View Post
Josh, if you get this build done we should definitely meet up!
What a gold digger! He only wants to meet up if you get the build done!!!

The J35/36 has a lot of potential. I believe above 12.5:1 is pushing it on pump gas, but I'm not sure. That may be the highest you can go. E85 would make more hp, and if there are stations around you (and as long as you get tuned for it!) I would suggest that. With full bolt ons/11:1 CR/TL-s cams, ported head/tune, you can expect anywhere from 310-315whp and 295-305wtq. With a bump up to 12:1 CR, I'd assume 325/315. Add into this Bisimoto cams and another tune, I'd expect 350whp to be possible on pump gas. E85 maybe 365 or so. I'm just speculating on the E85 gains btw.

Kiet has his motor tuned on Greddy eManage blue if I'm not mistaken. Now he has the TL-s ecu, so that helps because it's reflashable and can 'hold on' to the tune. However, if he were to use a full standalone like the J&R ecu, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to see over 330whp with a fatter powerband than he already has.

With a FULLY built N/A motor (like some B/K series have), I'd go so far as to say the J's can put out somewhere in the neighborhood of 400whp. This motor is really missing out on a good cam. Again, we are limited as to how much lift we can use on a cam because of the way the rocker setup is designed (I think), but a larger lift cam can surely be used, and endless possibilites of duration. Hope this helps
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #5

from what I have read on Acurazine people are having some pinging issue stock. So 12.5:1 cr would really be pushing it.

also adding to what sonic said. We really need a good ECU to tune it. The AEM FIC is just not enough. It can't do timing advance.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #6

Good input so far. We need some of the experts to enrichen the thread too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
from what I have read on Acurazine people are having some pinging issue stock. So 12.5:1 cr would really be pushing it.

also adding to what sonic said. We really need a good ECU to tune it. The AEM FIC is just not enough. It can't do timing advance.
I thought there was a standalone available?

Also, from the motorcycle world, their engines are running 13:1 on premium gas. Is it because the cylinder and combustion temps get too high in our engines or is it about the timing issue?
Old November 4th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #7

^ the AEM stand alone is for the older J-series. There is one protype that are working on the acura TL but not one has it on their accord.

I think Kiet got the Emanage to work but not 100% sure if it can do timing and what not.
Old November 4th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #8

Yes the J&R standalone ecu is for the TL/Accord. It is a full standalone in terms of the engine capabilities, but leaves the stock ecu in place to keep all the luxury perks intact. Of course this applies more to the TL, but is similar for the Accord.

Apparently the Greddy can increase timing, but I read reviews on it and it's surprisingly inaccurate.
Old November 4th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #9

there is also this new standalone for J series MEGA 6 ver.98 - j32a.com Forum
nutnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #10

Interesting...
Old November 6th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #11

Anyone know of someone on this site using the Bisimoto cams? Im thinking of saving up and doing a re-build by next summer and would like some higher revs if possible. Just point me in the right direction.
Jakefrom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #12

how much is the j&r ecu?
purplerims is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #13

J&R = $1400.

Someone on Acurazine has the Bisimoto Stage 2 cams. His username is "gerzand." He has a full bolt on 5AT TL (I/PCDs/Jpipe/Exhaust/ported runners/intake mani/stage 2 cams/tune. He ran the 1/4 mile before/after, trapped 99 before and 103 after. That's a huge gain. And these were both done on 19" wheels. He has a track setup with 16s which will probably get him up to 105+ traps, which is basically unheard of for a 6MT TL let alone a 5AT.
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #14

Sonnick when you gettin one of those ecu's?
purplerims is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #15

I'll be sure to get some numbers in before and after... coming from another 5AT maybe sometime in the spring or summer though. I will also be going to FL and get some numbers from a superb tuner there. Comparison between a Marlyand Raceway, Florida Raceway without changing to much on newly built j36 by Paul.
DCdonDubby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerims View Post
Sonnick when you gettin one of those ecu's?
I have the FIC.
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #17

In terms of rev capabilities on the stock valvetrain, I believe Paul had mentioned that above 7600RPM or so, the rods start to fail. However, I wouldn't rev the stock valvetrain past 7200.

Although the TL-s valvetrain is stronger and lighter, I don't think it's rev capabilities are any better than our springs. Apparently a 5AT 3.2TL over on Azine made 320whp with full bolt ons/port work/stage 2 cams/J&R ECU tune. I don't believe he is revving any higher than stock but I could be very wrong. Some of the J32 swaps are revving over 7000, but I'm not sure exactly how much higher.
Depraved likes this.
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #18

^ Thanks for that answer. Too bad our heads aren't dohc. I'd want to just get a little more revs so 7000-7200 isn't bad.

And Wow a 3.2 making 320whp? Thats like 115 hp/L for an auto. I may just want to do a j32 build as it would be cheaper. Hmmm...
Ilovemyvtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #19
frumaroll

i love the j series, but i would only fully build one if money was no option, and i really just loved my accord.

when it comes down to spending 4-5 g's on a build, i would much rather pick a dif platform.
six6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #20

I agree with six6 man, for the money you would dump into really getting power out of the J series you could sell the car, spend the upgrade money, and buy a much better platform for a build.
sitschaplinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #21

Well next year, money won't be an issue. I will probably be getting a second car as this one will be paid off and I happen to love the platform. Having a quick sedan plus a coupe will satisfy my desires. And 4-5k? Ha, try closer to ten when you add in wheels, tires, suspension, clutch/fly, axles, diff, tuning software, dyno tune, and finally the engine.
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #22
Bobby Lane Racing

my engine alone was 10k my cost in parts and my time in labor. 15k easily in the retail market.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #23

Danggg! Can you get us an itemized list of what made it add up to 10k?
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #24
Bobby Lane Racing

custom rods, custom pistons, machined balanced crank shaft, custom acl bearings, thrust bearings, sleeves, valve train, etc etc.
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #25

Wow I spent close to 9k and that wasn't even custom parts. Things get expensive when you want to do things right.

258.7whp 218.3wtq

13.908 @ 102.65mph w/ 2.352 60' @ Honda Day 2012 Atco Raceway. Full tank of gas, Full interior. No Spare.
JCharged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
custom rods, custom pistons, machined balanced crank shaft, custom acl bearings, thrust bearings, sleeves, valve train, etc etc.
Sounds right. How's it holding up?
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #27
Bobby Lane Racing

10k miles on it. 7000 track miles. runs like a champ. Should be at 375-400whp by the end of the year naturally aspirated.
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #28

^^ I'm assuming you're planning on running some cams?
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #29
Full time worker/student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
What a gold digger! He only wants to meet up if you get the build done!!!

The J35/36 has a lot of potential. I believe above 12.5:1 is pushing it on pump gas, but I'm not sure. That may be the highest you can go. E85 would make more hp, and if there are stations around you (and as long as you get tuned for it!) I would suggest that. With full bolt ons/11:1 CR/TL-s cams, ported head/tune, you can expect anywhere from 310-315whp and 295-305wtq. With a bump up to 12:1 CR, I'd assume 325/315. Add into this Bisimoto cams and another tune, I'd expect 350whp to be possible on pump gas. E85 maybe 365 or so. I'm just speculating on the E85 gains btw.

Kiet has his motor tuned on Greddy eManage blue if I'm not mistaken. Now he has the TL-s ecu, so that helps because it's reflashable and can 'hold on' to the tune. However, if he were to use a full standalone like the J&R ecu, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to see over 330whp with a fatter powerband than he already has.

With a FULLY built N/A motor (like some B/K series have), I'd go so far as to say the J's can put out somewhere in the neighborhood of 400whp. This motor is really missing out on a good cam. Again, we are limited as to how much lift we can use on a cam because of the way the rocker setup is designed (I think), but a larger lift cam can surely be used, and endless possibilites of duration. Hope this helps

Pssshhh no way! Where I live there are no 'Accordians'. I spoke with Josh already and we are both busy people. So meeting up with him would be awesome since the only cars down here are civics, scions and stangs...I just love seeing modded accords.

Like this page if you're a J-series fanatic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FoXD!e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoXD!e View Post
Pssshhh no way! Where I live there are no 'Accordians'. I spoke with Josh already and we are both busy people. So meeting up with him would be awesome since the only cars down here are civics, scions and stangs...I just love seeing modded accords.
Haha I was just teasing bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in