J35 Dyno pull - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #1

J35 Dyno pull

So I finally took the plunge and did a dyno pull to see how much horsepower the J35 puts out.

Mods:
J32A3 Block and pistons
J35 Crank and Connecting Rods
TL-S cams
Jpipe and PCDs
Fujitia CAI
AEM FIC

I am a little disappointed at the numbers I have to say, but they are only numbers.

Anyways, the pulls were done on a dyno dynamics dyno. I heard they call these the heart breaker dyno's as they typically show way lower numbers. And at 3000ft above sea level.

Here are the graphs:

HP with AFR

HP with Torque

And the Torque numbers,

Kinda nice that its over 200 from 2800-6100 rpm.

I really wish I had done a base pull prior to doing the build but oh well what can you do!
triplep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #2

that seems low...there are ppl with j30's with only bolt on's making those numbers
inspire1318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #3

^ his a mile and a half up so I am not surprised.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 7th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #4
I <3 My J30A4

That cant be right only 236 whp?
qnzthg89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspire1318 View Post
that seems low...there are ppl with j30's with only bolt on's making those numbers
It is what it is, and it turns out I am closer to 3500ft above sea level. Conservatively, I experience at least a 10% loss in hp due to the high elevation.

And from what I have been able to gather, the dyno dynamics dyno typically shows a 10-20% decrease over a dynojet.

So just for hells sake, lets go with a 10% difference to a dynojet
so 236.6x1.10= 260
and another 10% for the altitude
260 x 1.10 = 286

But like I said it is what it is, and I am not chasing HP figures, I am happy with the power curve and that everything works great.
Old January 7th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Bobby Lane Racing

do you have numbers of before the tune and after the tune? Whos tuning the FIC? Also those numbers are not right. a 3.5 liter should be making alot more torque than that. The dyno should be calibrated for whatever environment and condition its located in.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
do you have numbers of before the tune and after the tune? Whos tuning the FIC? Also those numbers are not right. a 3.5 liter should be making alot more torque than that. The dyno should be calibrated for whatever environment and condition its located in.
No numbers before, I really wish I would have got a baseline on the stock motor. The primary focus of tuning the FIC was so that the cel code wouldn't come up. I am running on 91 octane gas. The AFR in the photo seems a little off, but that could be because it was taken at the muffler and not closer. I really need to invest in wideband sensor to get it properly tuned. At idle and under normal load it was at 14.8.

As far as the torque numbers, yeah I have no idea, not sure if rims etc would have any bearing on a dyno. I am running heavy 18's about 50 lbs a piece. Also I do have a torque dampener don't know if that would contribute to the numbers as well, I know though that I can spin through 1st 2nd 3rd and into 4th if I hammer it down without TC. So I don't know if that might have thrown the numbers of a bit? As far as the dyno being calibrated properly I would assume it is, but I was unaware that you can calibrate it for altitude?
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Bobby Lane Racing

Yeah who knows, it's all a guess on here. It just sucks cause I've tuned plenty of J30a4's making more power than what you're showing. I could see a 15-20hp difference due to conditions and environment, but that's a big gap.
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
Yeah who knows, it's all a guess on here. It just sucks cause I've tuned plenty of J30a4's making more power than what you're showing. I could see a 15-20hp difference due to conditions and environment, but that's a big gap.
I hear you I was disappointed as well when the numbers came back. And from the the other dyno pulls i've seen on here I was expecting quite a bit more. Mind you I think where you are located you are a little closer to sea level then me .

I mean using this calculator
Wallace Racing - Braking HP Loss at Altitude Calculator
If the car made 240hp at sea level then according to the math, it would lose approximately 25 hp at my altitude.

But I guess the nice thing is, that it kept making power all the way up to 6500 rpm, and it was pretty smooth with no bumps or spikes.

I know paul said he did a base on the same kind of dyno as this one and he was really disappointed with the numbers. I also talked to the guys doing the dyno and they were impressed with the numbers and torque so I duno? Said they dyno'd an auto TL and it only put out 170hp but who knows.

EDIT: I found pauls post and he said he dyno'ed 179 bone stock. Not sure about his altitude etc but 179 bone stock to 236.6 is about a 60hp increase.
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #10
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
Wow I feel disappointed for you.........
Anyways I never knew that altitude factored horsepower.. but I can now see why..
Anyways try another dyno my man..
Those numbers are way too low
GL
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #11

What compression ratio do these J35s end up with?
gwiffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Bobby Lane Racing

what bore diameter?
Old January 7th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #13

Yeah I never knew altitude played such a big deal but it makes sense considering air is less dense at higher altitudes. I know that turbo and sc cars are less effected thought.

But consider this, I ran against a amg 63 twin turbo benz on the quarter, and the guy on slicks only trapped a 13.5, I'd have to see the slip, but I know Cubano traps quicker then that.

Nah, the numbers aren't what is 100 percent important. I was just curious.

Bore is 89 on the tl block and 93 stroke using the mdx parts. I would love to know the CR as well, I have no idea what the deck height is etc. I would think its in the 11s as the stock TL motor is 11:1.

Last edited by triplep; January 7th, 2012 at 06:07 PM..
Old January 7th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #14

I got 237 w/ a v3 j-pipe at sea level. That sucks the dyno read so low for real.
Ilovemyvtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #15

Tough luck, now I'm looking into dynoing my build, where should I go to get the best results in the eastern region?
DCdonDubby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemyvtx View Post
I got 237 w/ a v3 j-pipe at sea level. That sucks the dyno read so low for real.
Well 237 with just a Jpipe is high. Also, it's hard to compare dynos across the country as there are almost infinite variables. I must say...50lb wheels?! Is that without tires? If so, those are the heaviest wheels ive ever heard of minus 20"+. if so, that definitely has a large impact on your numbers. I'd attribute at least 10hp to your wheels.chit that would make your wheel/tire combo 70+lbs which really doesn't make much sense. Have you ever been to the track?
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
Well 237 with just a Jpipe is high. Also, it's hard to compare dynos across the country as there are almost infinite variables. I must say...50lb wheels?! Is that without tires? If so, those are the heaviest wheels ive ever heard of minus 20"+. if so, that definitely has a large impact on your numbers. I'd attribute at least 10hp to your wheels.chit that would make your wheel/tire combo 70+lbs which really doesn't make much sense. Have you ever been to the track?

It's 50 lbs with tire and rim, my bad. I have 18inch Axis decade rims, I think they run about 25 lbs a rim, and the pirellis run about 24lbs a piece. So it definitely isn't the lightest combo around.

From the discussion going on here, yes the dyno's have a huge difference between them. I know some place even calibrate them so you have a little better run to keep everyone happy and especially you happy. The guy I went to is a no kinda **** type of person, and wouldn't give a rats ass if you were disappointed with your numbers. There is another guy in town with a dynojet so if I was really interested in chasing numbers I would go to him.

Yes I have taken the car to the track.. it was my first time and I was a complete noob at it so I launched with traction control. My fastest of the night was 14.25 @ 97mph I believe, I'd have to check my slip.

In the summer I might be heading to the west coast, and if I do, then I might try to dyno again at sea level and see what kind of difference it makes!
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #18
★★★★

Anybody who has ever dyno'd their car knows exactly how you feel OP.

My 3.5L has been on the dyno four times now, each time ending with some sort of disappointment.

Don't let it get you down, just keep pushing to find out what is bottle-necking your setup and address it. It gets better every time
MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #19
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #20
TrakCord

ouch those numbers hurt, but ye numbers r just that only numbers, you need to take a trip to miami and dyno on a dynojet then you'll feel better
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #21

I guess I'm the only one happy for you. Alt, temp, and humidity really does affect performance. Your hp line is solide to red line and that is a nice fat torque line. Does your car feel faster? thats the important thing. You made a common mistake and that is to get a base line, but here we are and the important thing is that your happy with your car.
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #22

The dyno just read really low i guest... i did 295 with my j32a2.. going 3,5 this winter and planning for 340WHP !

Do you have a big TB ? 3,5 inch intake is a must also , ported intake manifold runner too..
Fred931931 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #23
Mr. Detail

Here is a way to calculate horsepower using your quartermile trap speed assuming you know what your car weighs.

Horsepower Design Equation Formula Calculator - Engine Horsepower Trap Speed Method
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #24

Cubano: hahaha damn right.... except its like 5000km's away from me so it would take me a few days to get there. Easier to head over to the west coast and find a dynojet at sea level, mind you like I said. Its just numbers so who really cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel72 View Post
I guess I'm the only one happy for you. Alt, temp, and humidity really does affect performance. Your hp line is solide to red line and that is a nice fat torque line. Does your car feel faster? thats the important thing. You made a common mistake and that is to get a base line, but here we are and the important thing is that your happy with your car.
Thanks man! Yeah for sure there are a lot of factors that for some reason people can't see and they are just stuck on the numbers. I found pauls old J35 dyno and he pulled 201hp on the stock ECU. But saying that he pulled a 179 base. I might see if I can take my dads TL to get a BASE on it and see if there is a huge difference.

Yeah the car feels wayyyyyyyyy faster, everyone I take for a spin can't believe how hard it pulls. I remember when I ran the 1/4 I was pressed in my seat through 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th. It is just night and day. Even just screwing around with it, the torque and power are unbelievable. I mean without Traction Control... 1st takes a second to spin through and like I mentioned before, on the stock engine, I could spin through 1st but I would get traction at some point and I would chirp into 2nd. But now, It doesn't get any traction in 1st 2nd and 3rd and probably some of 4th it just spins and spins.

I am happy with the power curve and like you said the torque curve is soooo nice, the guy that did my dyno, couldn't believe that the engine kept the torque so long and so high.
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #25

As long as you feel a substantial difference, don't worry about your numbers. Dynos are really misinterpreted in the tuner world. They should be used as a "tool" to see improvements to the car, not to see who has the highest numbers. Sure it can be nice to have high numbers. It's good for the self esteem lol. But honestly, numbers are just numbers.

Your track time isn't too bad considering you are about 2/3 mile high. 3500ft has a large effect on acceleration of all motor cars. Your corrected 1/4 mile would probably be a 13.6 around 102-103. That isn't bad at all, especially considering it was your first time. Trap speed is indicative of power. 97 is a stock trap, but at sea level. I trapped just over 101 with my mods, but my track is basically at sea level.

EDIT: Just put it into the correction factor table here http://www.iroc-zpostforum.com/NHRACF.htm and got 13.64 @101-102.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #26

Is it possible to contact the dyno shop and get a list of some stock cars (N/A, not F/I) and their dyno numbers? That would help put your numbers in perspective. You did state that an auto TL put down ~170whp (258chp stock?); that's a loss of 35%...that's alot.

Last edited by gwiffer; January 9th, 2012 at 03:06 PM..
gwiffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanob247 View Post
ouch those numbers hurt, but ye numbers r just that only numbers, you need to take a trip to miami and dyno on a dynojet then you'll feel better
I am willing to make that trip, but first a 6speed tranny w/lsd. Think you can help me get setup in the summer?
DCdonDubby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiffer View Post
Is it possible to contact the dyno shop and get a list of some stock cars (N/A, not F/I) and their dyno numbers? That would help put your numbers in perspective. You did state that an auto TL put down ~170whp (258chp stock?); that's a loss of 35%...that's alot.
Yeah I am not to concerned about the numbers, the shop had a dyno day, and some of the guys posted their results. A guy ran a Integra type r, not sure about the upgrades etc, but he put down 131hp.... which is 64hp less then what it is rated at 195. 5L v8 mustang put down 190. And a Shelby cobra, not sure about the upgrades, put down 530hp.

So from just those numbers, altitude and that it was a dyna motive dyno, I can see that alot of people are putting down way way way less numbers, then one would expect to see at sea level on a dynojet.

But with that said, I will try getting it dynoed at sea level on a dynojet just to see what kind of numbers I can put down. But this will only happen if it is convenient for me, not going to go out of my way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in