What's wrong with my trans!! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #1

What's wrong with my trans!!

I have a 6mt with 127k miles on what i think is original clutch but clutch is still working fine. My problem is when my car is cold and i come to a stop and shift into 1st it's really difficult to go into 1st, basically have to force it into gear with a few tries. When i shift into 2nd either a downshift or upshift the gear will feel very notchy like it's catching on something. All the problems go away and shifts like butter after the car is warmed up. My question is could this be my 1st-2nd synchro going bad or maybe just the trans fluid needs changing?
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TylerT
Change your transmission fluid to GM Syncrhomesh Friction Modified.

I bought my 6MT with 74,000 miles with similar issues .. 1st / 2nd gear were pretty notchy when the car was cold.

After changing to this fluid, my gear changes are buttery smooth (Now have 119,000 mi)

Make sure you get the Synchromesh * Friction Modified* fluid.
TylerT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #3

Alright thanks man
Jakefrom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 9th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Bobby Lane Racing

you should always allow your transmission fluid to warm up, that's whats wrong. You're not allowing the fluid to expand, thus putting more wear on your synchros in which to a point synchromesh won't even make a difference.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #5

At times it's tough for me to get into 1st from a stop as well and I have the GM fluid.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to v6xjinbo
where can i buy the MT fluid, i went to Autozone, Pepboys and etc and i couldn't find the lube that i need for my transmission. Maybe they ran out of it
v6xjinbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to TylerT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
you should always allow your transmission fluid to warm up, that's whats wrong. You're not allowing the fluid to expand, thus putting more wear on your synchros in which to a point synchromesh won't even make a difference.
While I agree fluid temperature plays key a role in lubricating / gear engagement, I haven't had any difficulty going into gear regardless of fluid temperature after switching to GMSFM fluid 50,000 mi ago. The first few gear changes can be a little notchy on a cold trans, but I haven't had to apply any kind of major force to get into gear, have consistent grinding or gear pop outs like I did with the Honda MTF fluid. I guess I'm basing my recommendation from my personal experience with it.

What fluid are you running in your J35 Accord?
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Bobby Lane Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerT View Post
While I agree fluid temperature plays key a role in lubricating / gear engagement, I haven't had any difficulty going into gear regardless of fluid temperature after switching to GMSFM fluid 50,000 mi ago. The first few gear changes can be a little notchy on a cold trans, but I haven't had to apply any kind of major force to get into gear, have consistent grinding or gear pop outs like I did with the Honda MTF fluid. I guess I'm basing my recommendation from my personal experience with it.

What fluid are you running in your J35 Accord?
I use Honda OEM MTF only.

I've torn down plenty of Honda transmissions and I've seen it all. I'll tell you right now just because it feels better doesn't mean it's a good thing for your synchros. My transmission is smooth as butter using only Honda MTF. Like any mechanical part that needs lubrication. Whether engine or transmission. It's wise to warm the car up first before you operate it. Also its wise to allow the transmission to warm up as well. Which means drive a block or two first before you start hammering it in and out of gears. The fluids need to pump and lubricate.

Like you said, the first few gear changes can be notchy on a cold transmission. Imagine what is actually happening when you experience this notchy feel. Just imagine. Remember the synchros are gears as well. Notchy means the teeth are not mating correctly, mostly due to improper lubrication or worn teeth. What happens when it's feeling notchy? What is the result of that. It's only going to get worse.

I advise to do a fluid service immediately for the thread op
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
Had the same issue. 2nd gear was very notchy and would pop out randomly along with 3rd.
Flushed out the fluid and replaced it with AMSOIL tranny fluid. Within days it was a day and night difference. Feels like butter
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #10

My transmission feel like that sometime, my friend recommended Amsoil transmission fluid. Im probably gonna give that a try.
Av6Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #11

I ran redline during last winter. Warm up for 2 min in the garage and couldn't get into 2nd gear... The viscosity was too high. swap to amsoil and it stopped. I still have issue with it once in a while, but that only on really cold days *car now parked outside*. So I warm up the car a little bit more.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
Amsoil ftw!
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 10th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #13
SFL AV6

Think I'm gonna switch to amsoil tranny fluid when I do my drivetrain maintenance...currently using Redline which did stop my random third gear pop out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jiga21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #14

not trying to thread jack but how often do you guys do the "flush" on the tranny and is it safe?
elliott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Bobby Lane Racing

i change my MTF after every track event which is once a month. However if I were to street my car, I'd change it out every other oil change.
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #16

I am having a similar problem, but mine is i can not get into second gear from first. but it only happens at lower rpm(under 3k), and at higher rpms. so i am not sure what the problem actual is. i just had my trans rebuilt and a new oem clutch put in back in august. any comments would help thanks.
Duck617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #17

@Duck617: Did Paul replace your 2nd gearset/synchros?
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #18

yeah, because i had the same problem before but it was worse. i had a clutchmaster stage 3 in, and petal would engage close to the floor. so i brought that up thinking it would help and nothing. so i am not sure what it is i am doing wrong, but i just want to be able to shift through gears with no problem. whether it is city driving or spirited.
Duck617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #19

Thanks for all the help. Nighthawk do you reccomend a certain trans fluid brand at this point or is it not worth changing from the honda brand?
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #20

thats funny every1 seems to be having this problem on the 2nd and first gear. but mine is an 06 accord and i have the same problem except its going to 3rd or back to 1st. never in second so far. but thanks for all the trans fluid tips im going to have to change mine to the gm one.
samaccv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #21

Yeah my problem alot of the time is just going into first gear. Second is mostly only troublesome when its really cold. Strangely my gear changes have gotten a little better now but I think it may be because of the warm weather here in Cali.
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #22

I'm not sure if I have the GM stuff but at 103K (bought at 82K) third gear has no issues and is one of my smoothest gears. But 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 some times are a little notchy and rough even when warm, like its pushing past a gate or lock or something. I figured it was just the way the trans was. When moving quickly through the gears its not really an issue, more so when I do it slowly. From a stop I'll almost always test out first before I have to get moving jsut to make sure I'm fully in gear.

It's my first manual so I don't really know what to think. My buddie's 8thgen with 32K feels about the same though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #23

yea bigbird thats the same kind of feeling i get on mine as if im pushing thru something to get it in gear. but mine is 3rd, and 1st, it most be a honda issue since we all having this problem with the trans.
samaccv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in