cleaning CAI filter - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #1

cleaning CAI filter

When i bought the car, there was a typhoon CAI system previously installed. It also has some sort of a cover over the filter. This CAI dives straight to the bottom of the engine bay (i assume this is where the best air is) and looks like a pain to clean. So my question to you is: what is that cloth cover thing over the filter, and how do i get to the thing so i can clean it?

Thanks in advance.
lee0eel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2012, 04:33 AM   #2

The cloth cover is an extra barrier to protect against dirt/dust etc. I know the K & N filters also come with this covering (I think they typically say to use it in the winter? but I am not 100% sure).

It really depends how smart the person who installed the CAI in the first place was. I know when I put mine in, I angled the Clamp, so that I could just bend the inside drivers side wheel well lining, and put my hand through and un-thighten it and then pull it out the same way I put my hand in. Simple easy, takes me less then a minute to remove the filter out of the car and clean it.

Otherwise, you might have to go from the bottom of the car and unhook it, or the worse case scenario is that you have to remove your front bumper to get the filter off.
triplep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Carpe Diem

Just remove the bumper to get to it. It only takes about 10-15 mins once you get the hang of it. Going through the fender liner is an option too but it is hard to do unless you jack up the car and remove the wheel first.

I have the same cloth cover on my typhoon CAI and I just rinse it out in the sink under some hot water for a few mins whenever I change my CAI filter. Just wring it out good and you don't have to worry about letting it dry before you stick it back on.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 19th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #4

do you think i could take the system off at the trottlebody and pull it up, then take the filter off??
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Carpe Diem

Nope. There's a metal arm attached to the tube that is bolted to the car. See the picture below.

Old January 19th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #6

great....... How easy is it to remove my bumper then? And could you give me a link to a DIY on taking the bumper off??
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:49 PM   #7

It takes a little time when doing it the first time. You're just unfastening clips under the body, under the hood (where the grille connects), and in the wheel wells. Once they are unfastened, unhook the bumper from each side with a tug. It doesn't take much strength. Finally, pull the bumper from under each headlight, and then lift the bumper from the center. It can be a one man job, just take your time to avoid cracking the bumper.
gr8ness97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:11 AM   #8

Just do it through the wheel well, take the wheel off, remove the wheel well liner, and your there. If you want to aviod this all together just make the intake a short ram intake, thats why it comes in two sections. I got the same K&N CAI and I do it through the wheel, you only gotta do it every so often any way.
BAcHIGU_671 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:23 AM   #9
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee0eel View Post
great....... How easy is it to remove my bumper then? And could you give me a link to a DIY on taking the bumper off??
https://docs.google.com/present/view...Q0&hl=en&pli=1
Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:53 AM   #10

thanks for the information. So how exatly do i go about removing the wheel well then?
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:55 AM   #11

Plastic body clips and I three screws, two unter the bumper and one top left of the wheel well. The clips are all along the body, u should be able to just get away with removing the front half of the clips and be able to bend the lining away enough to get to the air filter. When you put the filter back make sure you put it in a way that the clamp is easiest for you to get to the next time you have to clean it.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Carpe Diem

Don't forget you have to jack up the car and remove the tire first or else it's a very tight squeeze. Also, if the clamp isn't facing the right way, good luck getting it off.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM   #13

^^ Yeah LOL forgot TAKE THE TIRE OFF thanks Ike....once you do this, its a good time to think if you want to make it a short ram beacuse the 2nd pipes bolt is down there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in