Code PO430 - Anybody got it and had it fixed? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Code PO430 - Anybody got it and had it fixed?

This morning I got check engine light, went to Auto Zone had it checked and it came out like this:

Code PO430.

Anybody got this???? What needed replacing? Is it the cats or O2 tat need to be changed? Or is it something else.

I got 150,000 on the car and it is a 2004 V6 EX.

Any help guys?
saxon22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2
SSM_AV6-6

Funny, I got this same exact code a few days ago. It would seem that the cat is toast, after googling that code. Pretty much everybody who has had it, regardless of car, had to replace a cat. Your options are: pay the stealership 5-600 for one OEM cat (and likely replace the other one in the near future), buy the high flow precats from RV6 for $550, buy the precat deletes from RV6 for $350, or try to buy a universal for like $350 from autozone, still have to have flanges welded onto it. At least it's the front cat, and not the rear one. I'm using this as an excuse to get some HFPC's put in

BTW my car is a 2003 V6 with about 160k miles. It seems our cats like to crap out at about 150k or earlier.
NHB_AV6-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #3

The question is which cat is it? V6 has got more than one. **** another expense.

Old February 8th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #4

BTW I changed one of those last year with an OEM one. I was hoping this would be a less expensive O2 sensor or some other inexpensive repair. tHANKS FOR THE INFO.
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #5

do you still remember which one...front or rear one....that's mean may be you need change the other one....that's code not for o2 sensor but for cat one..
6thaccord98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #6
SSM_AV6-6

I believe the P0430 is for the front bank, P0420 is for the rear. You could probably go out and inspect the front one and see if it looks like it is original or has been replaced. I'm thinking it's the old one, which is probably the first reason I want to replace both right now. Spending over $1000 in exhaust repairs in a one year period is not something I want to look forward to. Half the price + HP gain > twice the price + zero gain.
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #7
SSM_AV6-6

I'm taking my car to get the O2 sensor tested tomorrow. It's the only way to be sure the O2 isn't acting up, and I don't want to blow $550 if I don't have to.
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #8
Mr. Detail

Had that happen to my first Maxima. Reading through the forums, pretty much the only way to solve the problem is replace the cats, O2 sims or non-fouler extenders.

Found a pair of low mileage used cats from someone who put headers on their Maxima, bought them for $85, swapped them with the original cats. Problem solved.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #9

^The problem is that these ceramic precats (close-coupled cats) have to deal with all of the extra fuel on cold starts, which eventually makes them deteriorate and clog up. My theory is that the failure of these precats has more to do with the number of cold starts/heat cycles, rather than accumulated mileage.

Here's an interesting thread on driveaccord: Some bad cat pics... - Drive Accord Honda Forums
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #10

The good news is, the check engine light is gone. I have noticed that it clicked after a rather cold morning we had teother day and only after did I stepped on a gas getting on the freeway did the check engine light popped on. Other than that, surprisingly, the car feels lie it is breathing better. Also a couple of days ago I tanked up the beast. I am so hoping for it to be just a hick up because of dirty gas, or gas cap not turned all the way or a faulty o2 sensor. With Valentines coming and the obligatory stuff that need to be bought I am not ready to plunk another $500 for this.
Old February 12th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #11

I have been driving the car since the check engine came up and then disapperared. It feels like the car drives better (go figure) and so far the light stays off. Perhaps it was just a glitch in the system.
Old February 12th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #12
SSM_AV6-6

Possibly. My CEL also turned off for a little bit, and then turned back on.

Also, if it's the gas cap, it would be the "evap system" CEL code. My gas cap's seal ring was bad, and I threw on a new gas cap and it stopped that code from coming back.
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #13

I am hoping and praying it was a one of the kind glitch in the system. Could have been bad gasoline (althogh I always use super only). I am going to wait and see if the check engine light comes back. So far I am all clear. Funny my bro visited me last week and I told him about the check engine light. He was surprised I was bothered by it. Then again he is driving a Ford! LOL.
Recently I had been contemplating getting a 4 cyl. sedan thinking I could drive with less ooomph. Test drove the new Accord and despite not loving gas prices of today (4.19 in my neck of the woods - NYC), I just could not force myself to switch. Perhaps when gas prices reach $5/gal. I will bite the bullet. Until then V6 it stays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in