Suggestions on Exhaust setup - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1

Suggestions on Exhaust setup

Hey guys, it's about that time to consider an exhaust system especially with tax returns in a week or so. I just wanted some suggestions to help me out. So far I have a 05 AV6-6 with I/PCD/ Xlr8Jpipe. I want to car to be as quiet as possible which means I plan on leaving the Cat. converter intact or upgrading to a high-performance one plus a resonator. The car is still very quiet unless I'm in Vtec. Also, I have the 06 rear lip as well as I have seen people have had fitment issues fitting their muffler tips through the rear lip. Any suggestions on diameter size, type of muffler, piping, resonator? I live in Miami as well so I have no issues with emissions, just thought I'd mention that.
dhiraja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #2
SSM_AV6-6

For a full catback, the Borla seems to be the quietest one available. I am in the same exact boat. I am doing HFPC and the XLR8 J-pipe, but am undecided as to what I want to do with the rest of the exhaust. I want something ideally OEM, like an LS430 axleback, meant for more power and as quiet as OEM accord exhaust. I would like a 2.5" midpipe with a long resonator. But if I can find a Borla for cheap enough I may just spring for that. It looks a lot like stock, and isn't very loud at all.
NHB_AV6-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #3
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
Comptech if you can find it for you^
Fly was just selling one on the forums.
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 13th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #4

What diameter are you guys thinking on the midpipe before the Y. I think I read online that someone had 3" but I'm not sure if they were doing single muffler. I want double mufflers and I was thinking of just getting the mufflers and have the shop custom the midpipe and put on the exhaust for me as well. I was actually leaning towards full custom with a good resonator, but I don't know if the car will be quiet still.
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #5
SSM_AV6-6

Sonnick mentioned he had the 3" single exhaust, and I think he had a resonator and said it was still too damn loud. Which discourages me because my original plan was to custom make an entire exhaust like what you want, using a Magnaflow resonator and probably Flowmaster mufflers.
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #6

Just leave the stock catback and put in an electric dump passed the Jpipe. Wisper quiet when ya need it, screamin when ya want it. Prolly perform better then a catback anywyas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #7
ER MER GERD!!!!

Apex'i WS-II is nice and quiet even w/ the XLR8 V2 Jpipe. under normal cruising almost as quiet as stock.
DMunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Just leave the stock catback and put in an electric dump passed the Jpipe. Wisper quiet when ya need it, screamin when ya want it. Prolly perform better then a catback anywyas.
This.

Or you can do a 3" midpipe with an ever larger resonator than I currently have (6" round X 30"). You could do the Magnaflow 5x8x24, which has a good amount more volume than mine. You may only need small mufflers with that reso.

But if having a quiet exhaust is priority, go with a 2.5" midpipe. You can still use a large resonator (5x8x18 or so) and 2 nice mufflers. I'd suggest Magnaflow (5x8x14) or Vibrant Streetpower (5x9x15). The Vibrants should be a little quieter given their larger size. Either should sound very nice and still maintain quiet exhaust note you're looking for Keep in mind that anything smaller than suggested will probably be louder than you want.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
This.

Or you can do a 3" midpipe with an ever larger resonator than I currently have (6" round X 30"). You could do the Magnaflow 5x8x24, which has a good amount more volume than mine. You may only need small mufflers with that reso.

But if having a quiet exhaust is priority, go with a 2.5" midpipe. You can still use a large resonator (5x8x18 or so) and 2 nice mufflers. I'd suggest Magnaflow (5x8x14) or Vibrant Streetpower (5x9x15). The Vibrants should be a little quieter given their larger size. Either should sound very nice and still maintain quiet exhaust note you're looking for Keep in mind that anything smaller than suggested will probably be louder than you want.

What would the diameter of the Y be when the mid-pipe fuses into the two Left/Right pipes to the mufflers, still 2.5"?
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #10

The muffler shop will know what to do. At the end of the midpipe where the Y split is they should have 2 2.25" pipes meeting to form the "Y." So in essence, the mufflers you buy should have a 2.25" inlet if you go with a 2.5" midpipe. If you go with a 3" midpipe, you should buy mufflers with a 2.5" inlet.

You could always buy a Y pipe btw. A lot of companies shelf them.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #11

So what are the pros and cons of 2.5 vs 3 inch midpipe as far as power and sound and cost?
Old February 19th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #12

anyone?

About ready to jump on this mod, just need the last bit of info from above ^
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #13
SSM_AV6-6

Ironically, the 3" seems quieter, as long as a nice resonator and large mufflers are used. I went with a custom built 3" catback with Magnaflow resonator and two 2.5" Magnaflow muffers. Pieced together, including having a shop do the welding/mounting, you should be spending roughly $450 for that setup. It sounds like the consensus is light mods = stick with 2.5", serious mods (entire exhaust upgrades, good intake at least) = 3".
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #14

Borla 140080. Nuff said
2 Amigos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHB_AV6-6 View Post
Ironically, the 3" seems quieter, as long as a nice resonator and large mufflers are used. I went with a custom built 3" catback with Magnaflow resonator and two 2.5" Magnaflow muffers. Pieced together, including having a shop do the welding/mounting, you should be spending roughly $450 for that setup. It sounds like the consensus is light mods = stick with 2.5", serious mods (entire exhaust upgrades, good intake at least) = 3".
Well, I have PCD and j pipe as well as intake so I guess I will be doing pretty much what you did with the 3" mid to 2.5" y pipe to mufflers.

I don't want to buy Borla because they are expensive and I hear they are equal or lesser performance than going the custom route.
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #16
SSM_AV6-6

Well, for a mass produced catback I would say Borla is my all-around favorite. However, with performance a high priority, it couldn't hurt to custom make a 3" exhaust. If I was happy with just an intake and catback, I'd definitely get the Borla, but with HFPC and JP on the way I would hate to spend more money for less power lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in