RV6 HFPC Review - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:47 PM   #1
SSM_AV6-6

RV6 HFPC Review

Well, after a couple weeks, I finally received my HFPCs (had them ceramic coated; they don't keep ceramic finished items in stock), and had them installed today. My first impression was: yay, feels good driving around town without a clogged cat. And then I floored it at 2300 in third gear, and was quite impressed. The car put me back in the seat, and kept me there; not quite like the brute force of a V8, or a spooled turbo, but definitely NOT like an archetypal Honda. As for the sound, with an otherwise stock exhaust, I would liken it to the exact same result of putting an SRI or CAI on an otherwise stock car: silent while cruising, but just like a 250 hp car should sound during partial throttle acceleration, and then the engine jumps to life at WOT, like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Edit: now that the ECU has had about 125 miles to learn the newly freed exhaust flow, the car feels quite quick period, with gains throughout the entire powerband

BTW, to those wondering...after the third heat cycle, the catalyst CEL left, and never came back If you live in a visual inspection emissions state, I would recommend these, with maybe the stock heat shield attached.

Cliffs: low end torque was &mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">, top end is &mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Last edited by NHB_AV6-6; February 23rd, 2012 at 04:29 PM..
NHB_AV6-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:53 AM   #2

What price did you pay for this part?
chipperf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:43 AM   #3
SSM_AV6-6

I think it was $615, they are $555 right now with no ceramic coating.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:39 AM   #4
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

You have to give it at least another 100+ miles for the ecu to adjust and really feel the gains. Wayyy back in the day I bought those infamous eshift procats, and wasn't impressed at all initially, but after about a week of driving I definitely noticed the HP increase especially in top end .

Give it a few more days, even with your stock exhaust.
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
Damn .. That's pricey.. Didn't you just buy the new jpipe too? You baller
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #6
SSM_AV6-6

Tax returns ftw :P
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:08 PM   #7

nice..goin to get this when i get my tax return mula
gflip456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:12 PM   #8

Will the stock shields mount to these hfpc?
dingaling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:25 PM   #9
SSM_AV6-6

Not directly, but if you're handy enough to take those PITAs out, you could probably half ass the heatshields from the old cats onto the front and back of the new ones somehow, possibly welding the middle to the surface of the cat. I think the non-ceramic version would look fine like that, but obviously the ceramic surface would stick out like a sore thumb.

Just got back from a highway cruise to put some miles on her. Got back into town, and wow, after 120 miles, there is DEFINITELY a noticeable difference in acceleration. It's a shame I'm going to have to reset the computer, because the SOB P0420 code is still stored in the computer, I've been checking it every single time I drive the car.
Old February 24th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to TylerT
I'm assuming you can still pass the sniff test with the RV6 HFPC? What about visual?

Can't wait til it's time to smog my car, 2 years of no inspection = 2 years to enjoy some good ol' highflow cats!
TylerT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 24th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #11

^ Wait, why run hfcs if you gonna fail smog anyways? Just go without for 2 years.

Ive been lookin at these so I pass smog testimg here in md...and because I dont want rasp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 24th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #12
SSM_AV6-6

About emissions, probably will pass. Visual + ceramic = forget about it. The front one isn't all that visible, but assuming they actually look directly at it, it pops like I thought it would. nonceramic would be perfect, I don't even think you can really see enough down there to need heat shields. Plus, every two years you could just throw the front stock cat back on.

I would assume it will pass the sniff test as well. I did a bit of research on these at azine, since nobody here seems to have them, and nobody has had any emissions-related complaints whatsoever; they all love these. It's been 150 miles, and I still don't have any kind of CEL, and knowing our finicky ECU, that's a pretty good sign.
Old February 24th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #13
SSM_AV6-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post

Ive been lookin at these so I pass smog testimg here in md...and because I dont want rasp.
With intake and stock exhaust, they sound awesome.
Old February 24th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #14

Vids?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 24th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #15
SSM_AV6-6

I definitely plan on it. I will take it out to my secret spot, and should have a direct comparison to the car when it just had the intake. I had to reset the ECU to finally get the stored p0420 out of it so it will pass emissions, so it will be a couple days, but I will post a video
Old February 24th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #16

I went with the PCDs to.save some.money...
Atlas.46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #17

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but wouldn't the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust produce more gains for about the same price?
Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #18
SSM_AV6-6

A custom 2.5" or 3" exhaust would produce better gains, while still costing less than both. The precat deletes are cheaper still, and give a little more power. However, both options are irrelevant, as they do not replace the restrictive factory precats with high flow cats that will still pass most emissions and not screw the environment. I have had zero issues, no check engine lights, since using these. No nasty smell, no worrying about getting new o2 sims from richie because the ones that came with the PCDs were defective, etc.
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #19

I love the high flow pre cats. Notice the gains and meaner sound right away. I have it with the magnaflow catback and sounds great. Except when I'm riding it hard it will get a slight rasp at 3k. But not too bad. Definitely worth it, it was quite a task getting them installed though, lol
KaotikPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #20
SSM_AV6-6

That's why I paid a small shop lol. If it wasn't 30 outside, I'd probably try to tackle it. At least now I know my JP install will be a total breeze, as all the nuts are brand new.
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #21
SSM_AV6-6

03 Accord V6 30-110 RV6 HFPC + SRI - YouTube

Took a video tonight, compared it to the one I took three weeks ago after installing the SRI. Knocked off about .4 or .5 seconds from 30-110, which ain't bad considering it's about 15 degrees warmer and it honestly doesn't feel quite as powerful as it did on Thursday before I reset the computer to finally clear the cat code. Would it take longer to adjust after resetting the computer period, than just adding the mod and driving?
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #22
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Yup.. cause it has to relearn all your mods from scratch, rather than just adjusting for the hfpc's, like it eventually did for you..

Why people reset their computer after every mod is beyond me. Every mod you add it will adjust from there, rather than resetting it all the way back to stock.. in your case, I understand since you had a cel to get rid off, but that could have easily been done with a diagnostic tool..
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #23
SSM_AV6-6

I tried that. I cleared the codes several times with my Torque/OBD2 thing and when that didn't work, I brought it to Autozone and told them to scan/clear it. After well over 100 miles and several heat cycles the code was still stored.

I figured that was the case. It took 120 miles early last week for it to feel better top end, and it's topped 150 miles since the battery disconnection. At least now I know not to dyno the car until at least a week after mods are done. I can't believe Atlas gained 10 whp by replacing the XLR8 V1 with XLR8 V2 JP with no relearn time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in