3" custom Magnaflow/Dynomax catback - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #1
SSM_AV6-6

3" custom Magnaflow/Dynomax catback

Finally got my y-pipe which I ordered last Thursday, and got my car into the shop to get the exhaust put on. The parts used were: Magnaflow 7" round/30" long body "XL" resonator (#13741), 2.5"/3" Magnaflow y-pipe (#10778), and I ended up going with two 2.5"x14" Dynomax super turbo mufflers (#17733), since the shop said my Magnaflow 18" mufflers were too long to fit behind the bumper/after the y-pipe. So I went to the Advance Autoparts store a couple miles away and picked up the Dynomax mufflers for $47 each

Sound: I'm pleased overall, but the note could be a bit deeper. It doesn't sound horrible, but if it was much louder I would definitely be ordering up some Magnaflow 14" mufflers right now. On that note (no pun intended), the noise level is absolutely awesome with this big mother****er resonator on there. Idle is silent, driving through town, I couldn't hear it at all over the beater minivan and the work truck next to me while accelerating. On the highway, there is no noticeable drone, then again I'm at about 2100 RPMs through my county and my loud ass Michelin Hyrdoedge tires are busy making noise; I may need a wheel bearing but it doesn't get loud while turning, so who knows. At WOT it sounds nice, similar to stock but obviously louder. Can no longer really hear the VTEC crossover. Edit: wow, after watching the vid, from what you can hear over the wind, I am in LOVE with the sound. It is probably the closest sounding to a muscle V8 I have ever heard from an Accord For some reason, it sounds kind of unappealing from inside my car.

Acceleration: this thing PULLS in third gear now, a vast improvement over just the J-pipe. And this gain didn't need the ECU to relearn it; I expect it to get even better over the next week

Price: the resonator was $69 shipped via ebay, received it a few days after buying. The y-pipe was $27 shipped, but it took six damn business days to get; if you're impatient like me just pay $10 more for the "top rated sellers" on ebay for this part. Mufflers were $47 from Advance Auto, but you can get similar Magnaflows for $50 and the nice straight through ones for about $75 each, but I didn't feel like waiting several days AGAIN so I settled on the Dynomax. The entire piping and labor was $250 even, including the hangers welded on. So I spent $450 for EVERYTHING, not including the unused mufflers that I will probably sell on CL.

Videos/pictures will be up soon

Last edited by NHB_AV6-6; March 10th, 2012 at 03:13 PM..
NHB_AV6-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #2
SSM_AV6-6

Okay, thanks to the insane wind (camera was wavering back and forth on the ground, couldn't hear my car at WOT 15 feet away) videos will have to wait :|

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Looks just like a crappy OEM/Walker type setup from the rear. I told them I didn't want any tips, but they welded on straight 2.5" piping so it reached the bumper anyway.

Edit: finally got to take a vid, and take a full picture of the mufflers lol. Don't mind the hipsters on bikes :P

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

It rattles a bit when I take off and lug the engine, but if I keep it above 1000 like I normally do it's fine.

Last edited by NHB_AV6-6; March 10th, 2012 at 11:19 PM..
Old March 11th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #3

Damn, sounds quiet. Nice. Looks good too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 11th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #4
SSM_AV6-6

Thanks man. I was going for quiet and sleeper looking, I think both were achieved. I might swap out the resonator for the 6" but I might get used to the rattling or try to find a way to deaden that noise.
Old March 11th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #5

does look stock. :-) If i got this route, i guess i will be selling my Borla.
Atlas.46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #6
TrakCord

man ur lucky those dudes dint ride off with ur camera lol, and idk i just wanna give my opinion but not be offensive so please bear with me here. They sound like stock mufflers with straight pipes going to them, i think they are chambered mufflers not straight thru not ideal for performance, the craftsmanship looks good though except for the tips slightly out of alignment (maybe its the vid idk), and lastly that y-pipe is not an efficient flowing one eithr. Again just my opinion everyone has their preference and i understand what you were going for.
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #7
SSM_AV6-6

Are you sure about that y-pipe? I looked inside of it, and it is quite large and open between the inlet and outlets. There is a small V-shape divider to direct flow between the outlets, but it looks quite free-flowing to me?

These mufflers weren't my first choice, I got sick and tired of waiting for one thing or another (especially since somebody here sat on my money for 1.5 weeks and then told me they didn't feel like shipping the exhaust) so I called the nearest parts store to see if they had a pair of 2.5" mufflers in stock. Maybe down the road I'll put some of the 14" version of the straight-thru Magnaflows I originally bought on. But for what it is and what I paid I'm more than happy with what I got. Pretty sure Paul sells a very similar setup for 3x this much lol.
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #8
TrakCord

this issue isnt necessarily flow, its efficiency...what i mean by that is you can free up restriction with an open space, but when a large volume of air rushes into an open space it becomes very turbulent unless it is directed through it efficiently. Take a look at the vibrant y-pipe/merge collector compared to your magnaflow. Besides the price you can see the incredible difference in design and the smooth bends and collection the vibrant has...dont mean to get technical here but i cant help it sometimes lol . But i stand to be corrected thats my opinion here as usual.

Vibrant

MAgnaflow

Old March 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #9
SSM_AV6-6

So you're saying the division should be much closer to the inlet? I can see the advantage of the Vibrant Y, but I would think the large size of the Magnaflow's interior would compensate for that. Especially given that Magnaflow designs things like this to work with massive engines lol.

Is it better for high RPMs? Is that what you mean?
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #10
TrakCord

any time and engine does not have to work hard to move air it is just overall better. IDK exactly where it would benefit most though. Honestly, i cnt argue one is better than the other becuz i personally have never done real world testing with either but in theory the smoother and more uniform the flow path the better. IDK. Im just trying to convey info here. ,

I can however try to give you a quick example that everyone can relate to...have you ever seen those big water fountains that flow a shizload of water out of them and you notice how the water falls all crazy and splashes everywhere with no uniformity just random flow (this is an example of turbulence from rough edges).....And then there are those waterfalls that make the water flow out like as if it looked like a plate of smooth glass falling and it makes a minimal splash if any in the water below?? (example of sharp edges and smooth uniform flow) Well IMHO i equate this to how air should flow...
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #11
SSM_AV6-6

I understand. I suppose the gap between the outlets creates a little bit of resistance to airflow too. But if this is bad, than the OEM Y must be the worst possible type with pretty much an abrupt 90 degree turn each way :P I just figured of all the companies out there, that Magnaflow would make a great product for this piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in