BBK or Upgraded Stock Brakes? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #1

BBK or Upgraded Stock Brakes?

As the title states I'm trying to decide which direction to go. I apologize if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find much info for my particular situation. I don't want to spend the money and be disappointed.

So the stock brakes suck. I'd love to do the RL BBK but I'm not too excited about the extra weight. My question is, if I'm just rollin as DD and just want some better stopping power out of my brakes, nothing crazy just something that doesn't fade or warp like the stock stuff does, should I go with the BBK at the expense of the heavier (rotational) parts or can I do upgrades like slotted rotors, good pads (EBC, Hawk, ETC.) and SS lines and it suffice? The only performance mods I have are an Intake, Jpipe and catback. From what research I've done I get a sense that both directions improve stopping regardless and I really don't plan on adding any other engine performance goodies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #2
SSM_AV6-6

The stock brakes suck? I thought exactly the opposite when I test drove my AV6 when I owned the Solara. Granted the disk size is different, but the Solara did have SS brake lines and TRD pads.

I've never cared for BBKs, then again I've never had one. They are ridiculously expensive, and the only time I've upgraded my brakes significantly, I put drilled Brembo rotors and Hawk HP pads on my old Integra and was 100% satisfied. I would think factory size Brembos and Hawk pads would be excellent for a DD AV6
NHB_AV6-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #3

SS brakes made a huge difference on my camry when I did it too. and The solara brakes stock are a lot like these...Kinda crappy (from my experiences). I did a BBK on my camry after a while, similar to the RL one but I could feel the heavier rotors even though it did stop that much better. But the options are far better with the accord then the camry (or solara) so all the choices prompted more questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 26th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #4

First, try some fresh fluid and a good bleed. Next, go for some aggressive pads. Nobody needs a big brake kit on a daily driver.
gwiffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #5
V6P Official Vendor - Excelerate Performance

Send a message via AIM to Excelerate
Stoptech Performance Street Pads are a great option. They have the highest maximum operating temp (MOT) of any street pad on the market at 1300F. Not only do they perform well very hot, but they also perform in the cold. We have plenty of customers who run these pads in subzero climates and have no problem at cold start. They are made with a para-arimid compound and therefore are a lower dust, lower noise pad.

They have been dyno tested against a few different pads. When compared to the Hawk HPS, they outperformed them by 25% from 0-700F. After 700F, the Hawk pads began to fade while the Stoptech pads increased in performance all the way to their MOT of 1300F.

It's the same pad that Stoptech puts in their BBK's as well. You really are getting a great pad and at a great price. If you would like rotors as well I can put together a package deal for you. Feel free to PM me.
Excelerate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #6

Sounds like the stock upgrade is the way to go. Thanks for the advice.

Old March 27th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelerate View Post
Stoptech Performance Street Pads are a great option. They have the highest maximum operating temp (MOT) of any street pad on the market at 1300F. Not only do they perform well very hot, but they also perform in the cold. We have plenty of customers who run these pads in subzero climates and have no problem at cold start. They are made with a para-arimid compound and therefore are a lower dust, lower noise pad.

They have been dyno tested against a few different pads. When compared to the Hawk HPS, they outperformed them by 25% from 0-700F. After 700F, the Hawk pads began to fade while the Stoptech pads increased in performance all the way to their MOT of 1300F.

It's the same pad that Stoptech puts in their BBK's as well. You really are getting a great pad and at a great price. If you would like rotors as well I can put together a package deal for you. Feel free to PM me.
How are they compared to the axis ultimates? I am running these on my 6speed 4dr accord but will need to be replaced soon
bigmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #8
V6P Official Vendor - Excelerate Performance

Send a message via AIM to Excelerate
Based on the information I have read about the Axxis Pad, the Stoptech's are better. They have a higher Maximum Operating Temp then the Axxis. The Axxis pad is made with a beefed up Ceramic material which has less bite and is advertised as not a low dust pad. The Stoptech Pad is made with a para-arimid compound and is a lower dust, lower noise pad due to it's composition. Both are going to work well cold, but the Stoptech pad is the better bang for the buck.
Excelerate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in