Rebuild tranny - what are the options? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gwiffer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #1

Rebuild tranny - what are the options?

It seems that I will be in need of a new tranny for my 2004 AT V6. What are the choices/prices out there? How much should I expect to pay for a proper re build? Should I go with after market re build like dr. devil? Please guys provide some info as to what are the options and costs associated with this type of a swap.

Thanx!

Saxon
saxon22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #2
enjoying j36 luv

make sure u get someone that knows what there doing around here shops suck out there and do **** work. take your time and find a good shop.
stillloco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #3

some people go through great distances to meet great mechanics.
DCdonDubby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #4
✔ Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to otsb708 Send a message via Skype™ to otsb708
^ I am one of them. I have a 2 hr drive just to get to the only exhaust shop I'll ever go to.

Sent from my iPhone 4[S].
otsb708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #5

I got a decent mechanic and swpping one should not be a major hassle for him. The problem is what I should swap tyhe tranny with? Should I go to the junk yard and get something for $500, should I get one from the dealer and basically have a brand new tranny or should I have it beefed up in one of the specialized tranny shopes like the Dr. Devil. Or sell the car while the tranny is still pulling OK and move on. Decissions, decissions.
Old April 11th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #6
SSM_AV6-6

Can you drive stick? /Batman

If you have any openness to learning, I would strongly suggest getting a six speed. These transmissions are very stout, hell, I don't even know of anybody complaining about bad synchros here. Just make sure the check valve is taken out of the slave cylinder. Also, a TL transmission = LSD. Not to mention there being a .5 second difference in 1/4 mile acceleration from the 5AT to the 6MT.
NHB_AV6-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #7

I have no problem driving stick but prefer AT since traffic in NY is a killer. I just want t super strong tranny installed that will last another 100K trouble free but thanks for the info and advice. Always much appreciated.
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #8
Mr. Detail

You might be better off finding a low mileage used AT out of an '05-07 V6 Accord. A good performance build isn't cheap and a regular (OEM performance) rebuild is pretty risky because most shops either don't have the first clue how to properly rebuild one or only replace the parts that are obviously worn. Ask me how I know this...
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #9

Acurazine has some good information about this. If you change the fluid regularly (w/ Honda DW-1 or Redline synthetic atf), install an external cooler w/ inline filter, and replace the 3rd/4th gear pressure switches every 2-3yrs/50k miles the stock transmissions can last a long time.

I would look for a low mileage AT as Scottwax said and proceed to do the things I just listed. How much are low mileage ATs in your area?
2 Amigos likes this.
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #10

Just had to have mine done at 140k. I had a local shop do it for $2000 with a 2 year warranty rebuilding mine. The stealership wanted close to $4500.00. Also looked into buying a junkyard find and having them insatal it but you get no warranty and its not as easy to find one with low miles as you would think. Good luck!
djham78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #11

The tranny is skipping more and more. My luck! Thanks for all he info guys! I am still at ????? as what to do. So far my options are:

1. dealership = 4000 plus install at an independent shop.
2. Level 10 = 3200 plus $500 for the install - better option than the dealership since the level 10tranny could be had with 3 year warranty for extra $200.
3. Getting a 2005 - 07 tranny with low miles Less than 25K woud be ideal = that would go for around $1400 around my neck of the woods (NY metro)+ the mandatory install ($500)
4. selling it as is, cutting my losses and moving toward something else.

So option 1 = $4500 1 year warranty
option 2 = $4000 3 year warranry
option 3 = $2000 no warranty
option 4 = payments for the next 5 years

Every option is like being on a bus to a state prison - no matter how you slice it I am getting ****ed!
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwax View Post
You might be better off finding a low mileage used AT out of an '05-07 V6 Accord. A good performance build isn't cheap and a regular (OEM performance) rebuild is pretty risky because most shops either don't have the first clue how to properly rebuild one or only replace the parts that are obviously worn. Ask me how I know this...
Problem is good rebuild is $$$$. Putting down $4K on a tranny is somethinf I am reluctant to do. Then again spending 2K and getting no warranty is like playing Russian rullete.
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #13

I wish I could sell you my tranny. I just bought it new from Honda with a 3yr/36000 mile warranty...I really want a 6 speed tho...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Nick000468 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #14

I have researched level10 and it seems they are not as good as one would think. I went to a local tranny guy and he wants 2800 for the job.
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #15
jbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon22 View Post
...or should I have it beefed up in one of the specialized tranny shopes like the Dr. Devil. Or sell the car while the tranny is still pulling OK and move on. Decissions, decissions.
Tell me more about this Dr. Devil (starts Googling....)

I'm intensely interested in your progress. Mine is on it's way out or soon will be, and we're debating what to do next. A manual swap is not likely going to be in our budget, but a stock rebuild is plausible (at least the cost is, God only knows how stuck we'll get trying to do it ourselves).

I saw a good DIY full of pics for a 6G V6AT rebuild with a ton of pics...was that in here? Recent searches turn up nothing (probably just asking the wrong questions).
jbl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #16

Dr.evil granny's are very expensive, but they are reputable I had a back and forth conversation with them years ago. Don't forget you also ave to pay for freight shipping with the dr evil trannys. Check on acurazine like someone suggested, someone has a turboed to auto that's holding up last I remember.
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #17

So the quest continues. The tranny is still working but her days are numbered. I can feel the end. I have been searching and searching and so far nothing has come up. ****!
I have been trying to get more info on the elusive Dr Evil shop, but so far finding a web page of his, a tel. number address or anything that would pin point his location has been fruitless.
How does he stay in business if there is no web page or a way to get in touch?

ANybody knows how to get some info on the place???????
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #18
I <3 My J30A4

Found some on Car-part.com It will not let me copy and paste the link for some reason. But fill in the info and you will find some.

As for shops that can do the swap for you.

RCT Performance
RPM
NRG Tech

Just to name a few for you.

I can personally vouch for RCT cause I along with tom (comptechv6) along with kevin (05av6) have gone to RCT and my experience has been great and they do some sick work on our cars.

Pm me if you got question or anything i live in queens too man
qnzthg89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 1st, 2012, 06:52 PM   #19

dr evil transmission - Yahoo! Search Results
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #20

So the inevitable had happened. My car's trany died a couple of blocks from my place. Need some info on reputable tranny shops in the NYC Metyro area. There is got to be a couple. I am all ears! Getting to work on Monday is gonna be fun.
Old November 30th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #21
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnzthg89 View Post
Found some on Car-part.com It will not let me copy and paste the link for some reason. But fill in the info and you will find some.

As for shops that can do the swap for you.

RCT Performance
RPM
NRG Tech

Just to name a few for you.

I can personally vouch for RCT cause I along with tom (comptechv6) along with kevin (05av6) have gone to RCT and my experience has been great and they do some sick work on our cars.

Pm me if you got question or anything i live in queens too man
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #22

The above are regular shops. I am looking for a tranny dedicated ones. I got nothing against the ones mentioned above but would prefer to have the tranny rebuild by a place that specializes in doing only that.
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #23
I <3 My J30A4

They are their, just hard to find. I pm'd you my number.
qnzthg89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in