Bigger is Better! My 2.5" J-pipe to 3.5" exhaust build (Dub thee "2535 header") - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:06 PM   #1
TrakCord

Bigger is Better! My 2.5" J-pipe to 3.5" exhaust build (Dub thee "2535 header")

6/28 - IT IS ALL DONE!!! System is complete! (post #76)
6/21 - J-Pipe is complete! (post #55)
6/18 - Post # 51. PICTURE of J-pipe U-bend DONE!! Rear PCD & V-band flange done

I said it and i meant it. I am on a mission to extract as much power as i possibly can out of the stock engine on stock ECU. My goal is 280whp and this is how i intend on reaching that goal. A custom 2.5" precat delete setup in a long tube design collecting right under the shift box or just after the original location of the 3rd cat into a 3.5" single exhaust running under the rear seat location and exiting just in front of the right rear tire. Is it crazy? Yes! But someones gotta try just how big can you go before it starts to hurt and that guy is me!

Here is a screenshot of the parts necessary. I have a local exhaust shop that is going to sell me 8ft of 3.5" straight exhaust tubing for 50 buks total. Lucky for us all you need is one 90 degree bend and there is plenty of room underneath the car to make that bend and exit in front of the right rear tire.

I have a guy that is about as top quality and affordable as you can get local to me and he does TIG welding so he is going to be the chosen one to help me accomplish this. He built the exhaust on my Audi and i was super satisfied.

As always there will be plenty of dyno testing and results will come as soon as i can get this this built. I want to blow past just breaking into the 12's so mid 12's here i come!!
thisaznboi88 and Atlas.46 like this.

Last edited by AccordingLO; March 4th, 2013 at 12:42 PM..
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:13 PM   #2

I'm excited to see the results!

Does having the exhaust exit in front of the tire affect the tire at all? Heat it up too much/make it greasy?
gwiffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:20 PM   #3
SFL AV6

Oh yea !!!!!!! I'll be sure to record n edit up the Dyno vids

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jiga21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:32 PM   #4
TrakCord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiga21 View Post
Oh yea !!!!!!! I'll be sure to record n edit up the Dyno vids
hell yea boy and i need your mad Dyno plotting skillz to compare graphs!!
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM   #5
TrakCord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiffer View Post
I'm excited to see the results!

Does having the exhaust exit in front of the tire affect the tire at all? Heat it up too much/make it greasy?
dont know yet but considering many pro drivers plus Nascar guys have the side exit exhaust im not to concerned but i will be very sure to take tire temps and remedy as necessary. Cornering performance is the priority here not so much straight line. I am doing side exit to save weight and becuz that big of piping will hang to low going under the rear suspension.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:23 PM   #6

As they do in NASCAR to account for ground clearance, a rectangular tube may help keep it off the track. Probably net you at least an inch or so more of clearance.
200366HFP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:34 PM   #7

in for results!
sohclubkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:37 PM   #8
TrakCord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
As they do in NASCAR to account for ground clearance, a rectangular tube may help keep it off the track. Probably net you at least an inch or so more of clearance.
much appreciated but they dont use mufflers and i will be using (2) magnaflow 14161 mufflers to attempt to quiet the beast down. The mufflers will be mounted in the center of the car and right now i have the same setup just 3 inch and the mufflers are 3-4 inches off the ground.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM   #9

Cube doin it big! I know you hate the word, but you will be incorporating a Jpipe into your setup Longtube 'header' =PCD + Jpipe
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:50 PM   #10

So... Did you order these parts yet?
Atlas.46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:21 PM   #11
TrakCord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
Cube doin it big! I know you hate the word, but you will be incorporating a Jpipe into your setup Longtube 'header' =PCD + Jpipe
yup thats pretty much what i will be doing but i'd like to think of it as a longtube header just becuz i can lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas.46 View Post
So... Did you order these parts yet?
yup that screenshot you see is the parts right before i ordered them
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:36 PM   #12

3.5" exhaust piping is huge.
3" is not enough for you ?
acuracl35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuracl35 View Post
3.5" exhaust piping is huge.
3" is not enough for you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanob247 View Post
Is it crazy? Yes! But someones gotta try just how big can you go before it starts to hurt and that guy is me!

sohclubkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:36 AM   #14
TrakCord

lol thanks, sometimes you just never know until you try
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:51 AM   #15
SFL AV6

Quote:
hell yea boy and i need your mad Dyno plotting skillz to compare graphs!!
Lol u already know I gotchu!

Quote:
lol thanks, sometimes you just never know until you try
NIKE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #16

^Lol.

Paul, I hope you make power, but I'm going to speculate a bit here I agree with you on the 2.5" Precats, I think you will make some power from 4K to redline. However, I think the 3.5" exhaust is a bit overkill. We won't know until after you dyno, but I'm going to say any gains that are seen will be from the 2.5" PCDs. Even if you gain power from the 3.5" exhaust, there is no way I'm doing mine over LOL. The only thing I'd consider for my exhaust is to trade for a stock exhaust plus cash and do a cutout.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #17

Quote:
The only thing I'd consider for my exhaust is to trade for a stock exhaust plus cash and do a cutout.
Would this be for quieter daily driving, yet the ability to "open it up" when needed/wanted? What exhaust do you have now?
200366HFP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #18

Ive had a larger exhaust pipe then recommended and i lost hp. I had a 3" but on a 4cyl and there is. I don't know how a v6 will act but there was a diagram that explained how too much pipe and not enough back pressure will decrease HP.
NYKnick1015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
Would this be for quieter daily driving, yet the ability to "open it up" when needed/wanted? What exhaust do you have now?
Exactly. I have a custom 3" with a Magnaflow resonator and Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers.

I'd love to have a 'slight' tone while cruising like the G37 (not the same tone, but same in terms of volume) and once the cutout is open, the awesome rawness. When the cutout is closed, it's like having sex with a nun for the first time. But once opened, it's like fcuking Jenna Jameson while skydiving from outer space.

NYKnick: I gained 14whp/20tq from the addition of my custom jpipe/merge collector/3" catback and UR pulley untuned. I have a feeling with a tune the gains will be much, much higher.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #20
TrakCord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKnick1015 View Post
Ive had a larger exhaust pipe then recommended and i lost hp. I had a 3" but on a 4cyl and there is. I don't know how a v6 will act but there was a diagram that explained how too much pipe and not enough back pressure will decrease HP.
well i guess we will not know until i get all the parts in and start this process...my theory is if 3" can be put on a 4cyl and gain power why cant you go bigger on a 6cyl? There are guys that have true dual exhaust straight off the head and never merge i think with 2.25 pipes...IDK about power gains but the size is way bigger than 3.5 inches...
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #21
TrakCord

Quote:
^Lol.

Paul, I hope you make power, but I'm going to speculate a bit here I agree with you on the 2.5" Precats, I think you will make some power from 4K to redline. However, I think the 3.5" exhaust is a bit overkill. We won't know until after you dyno, but I'm going to say any gains that are seen will be from the 2.5" PCDs. Even if you gain power from the 3.5" exhaust, there is no way I'm doing mine over LOL. The only thing I'd consider for my exhaust is to trade for a stock exhaust plus cash and do a cutout.
lmao well you wouldnt have to change much just maybe a 3.5" mid pipe then merge into your existing 2.5 inch dual exhaust that you currently have. The j-pipe is another story though. On a side note i dynoed 2.5" dual exhaust vs 3" single and made identical power thats why i am running single to save weight. So given that it looks like the flow through a 3" single pipe is maxed out and the 2.5 dual pipes have more than enough volume needed to keep the flow constant coming out of the 3" pipe. So if someone wanted to do a 3.5" mid-pipe i assume that 2.5 inch duals would still have a large enough volume to keep the flow constant as well.
Sonnick likes this.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #22
TrakCord

Also i wanted to note a couple variables i will be testing when i dyno this exhaust. I will re-test the effects of the power steering belt connected and disconnected. Also i am making a simple EGR block off plate to test. Also I will re-test the MDX intake manifold spacer as well. I am pressed to find the ideal combination and im hopeful with more variables i can find the best one. I do expect a loss in torque but this is just an assumption. This is where the spacer should finally show its true colors. If you guys remember i picked up about 10wtq in the midrange with the spacer in and lost about 7whp at redline. Well since this exhaust is gonna be big im hopeful that the power peaks at redline or a hunder RPMs or so before redline.Hopefully after the addition of the spacer it will lower the peak hp a bit to a more usable RPM.

Quick view of the simple EGR block-off plate. Simple as tracing a template using the gasket for the EGR valve onto some thin scrap aluminum sheet then cutting it out using some tin snips pictured. If i had to specify a thickness of the aluminum block-off plate i would say its about as thick as the gasket. This thin piece will be sandwiched in between the EGR valve and the cylinder head base. Basically the order will go cylinder head, gasket,block-off plate, EGR valve. The nuts should still have adequate thread to tighten everything down. This will throw a check engine light in case anyone was wondering. But i have a light for at least 5 things already so what do i care lol.I have not installed it yet.

Last edited by AccordingLO; March 4th, 2013 at 12:43 PM..
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #23

Does the plunger inside the EGR valve move down into the gasket or is it all contained in the valve? I'm just wondering if there will be a problem with it hitting your new block-off plate
gwiffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #24
TrakCord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiffer View Post
Does the plunger inside the EGR valve move down into the gasket or is it all contained in the valve? I'm just wondering if there will be a problem with it hitting your new block-off plate
i have used a sandwich blockoff method before and there was no issues but i think the plunger moves into the valve instead of outward
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #25
TrakCord

got some parts in today, 3.5" magnaflow 14161 muffler and dual 2.5" stainless v-band flanges to be used for the 2.5 precat deletes and connect to the 2.5" J-pipe.

JCharged and sohclubkid like this.

Last edited by AccordingLO; March 4th, 2013 at 12:44 PM..
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #26
TrakCord

PArts still rollin in i absolutely love the Vibrant collector it has a built in mini Venturri! i did not know this?? Sonnick this ones for you bud .

I had a mishap with the 90 degree bend i was sent the wrong diameter so it will be another week before i get the proper part exchanged for me.

JCharged likes this.

Last edited by AccordingLO; March 4th, 2013 at 12:44 PM..
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #27
SFL AV6

Looks beautiful, like something iron man would rock lol

Old May 10th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #28

Lol. Looks really good man. Loving the collector Looks very similar to mine. Can you take a picture of the inside where the 2 pipes come together?
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #29

Classy.

Nice work with the build so far.
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #30
TrakCord

gettin the last of the parts needed, i am missing my 3.5" 90 degree elbow but i can still do some mocking up and piecing together. MAde the outlet section just in front of the RR tire, i had to oval out the end of the pipe to gain some ground clearance. Took some old pre-cats and chopped off the flanges and had to port match them to the factory gasket size.
Also took a pick for sonnick since he wanted to see the inside of the merge collector.

This is what the 2.5 PCD's will be built from. I am still debating if i will actually do a J-Bend since i recently learned that the HART racing team does not use a J-bend they just collect straight back into the merge section. Picked up about 6ft of 3.5" tubing ill tell you this stuff is big!!

Last edited by AccordingLO; March 4th, 2013 at 12:45 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in