Redline Synthetic Transmission Fluid - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2004, 06:46 PM   #1

Redline Synthetic Transmission Fluid

Well I've just now turned 10,500 miles and I am going to do a flush and fill of the transmission with some Redline Synthetic ATF fluid.

I have noticed that after driving over an extended period of time in stop and go driving the fluid becomes extremely hot. Redline looks as though it will provide much better protection from the dreaded transmission failure.

Anyone running Redling in their transmissions?

Dustin

2003 TL Coupe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in San Marion Red. -------> build date 02/04/03. Best ET: [email protected]

1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible - Medium Partiot Red w/tan top and tan leather interior. Car just turned 37k miles. Best ET: [email protected]

2003 John Deere with 3 on the tree and HID headlights so i can mow at night. Grant steering wheel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:57 AM   #2
member: stroppy moo club

Send a message via ICQ to bored&stroked Send a message via AIM to bored&stroked
This is one fix. But you should also do the real fix- extrenal tranny cooler. This will keep you temps from getting to the boiling point. Also a external tranny filter is a great idea.
98 GMC 1500- so low, so sweet. Daily driver #1.
06 CBR600F4i- freakin rocket ship. Daily #2.

Disclaimer- I can't spell correctly to save my life.
bored&stroked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:30 PM   #3
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally posted by Roadmaster on March 1st, 2004 at 08:46 PM

Honda says to only use Honda tranny fluid. If you ever have tranny probs, they may give you crap if you try and warranty it and it has another brand oil in it.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:48 PM   #4

it WILL void your warrenty. anything major as a tranny the dealer has to fix, they request a sample of the fluid. somting as big as a rebuilt will warrent the honda reps to come out personally to check it out. (at least it was that way with my pontiac and my hyundai when tranny failed in warrenty) i had my dealer call honda and ask while i was there. i had already purchased my synthetic fluid and brought it for them to use instead.
ADDICTED2ICELED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:41 PM   #5
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
I highly doubt that.. if so, isn't motor oil the same?

PS, I have being looking, but I don't see an external tranny cooler available for 7gen yet?
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:52 PM   #6
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally posted by brex on March 2nd, 2004 at 04:41 PM

I highly doubt that.. if so, isn't motor oil the same?
No, motor oil is different...... you can use your own choice there.

But for the tranny, p/s, and brakes, I think the manual says you have to use Honda approved fluids....... although I could see where you might could get away with it for the p/s and the brakes, since the fluid would not typically be a reason for a failure in those systems. The same can't be said for the tranny. Imo, the repair cost would factor into Honda's opinion too.

Quote:
Originally posted by brex

I have being looking, but I don't see an external tranny cooler available for 7gen yet?
It wouldn't be specifically for a 7th gen, or even an Accord, just a run-of-the-mill tranny cooler (B&M, Hayden, etc,).
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:16 PM   #7

call honda and ask them youself if you don't believe me *shrug*
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:10 PM   #8

Honda is not going to void your warranty for using a far superior automatic transmission fluid. An automotive company can not require the owner of a vehicle to use one and only one brand of a specific fluid without even the possibility of using other brands unless they provide the replacement oil for free.

Redline Synthetic is not only recommended by Comptech but it is also a direct replacement that meets all the required minumum standards of Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid.

An oil that does not meet those standards would be cause for concern, but using an oil that meets and exceeds the standards will be covered even in the event of a catastrophic transmission failure. You can call honda all you want, and sure they are going to state that they require you to use their product, but remember they are looking out for their best interests.

Consumer protection under the Magnuson Moss act is put in place to protect owners like myself against such acts by a dealership or automotive corporation.

Dustin
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by ADDICTED2ICELED
call honda and ask them youself if you don't believe me *shrug*

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Roadmaster
Consumer protection under the Magnuson Moss act is put in place to protect owners like myself against such acts by a dealership or automotive corporation.

Dustin
in the meanwhile, IF somthing were to happen to your tranny... you've gotta either front the money for the repair, or go without a car untill you argue the point with them. They make the call weather your tranny gets fixed or not...

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:44 AM   #11

First and formost, honda didn't even care about the fluid in the 01-02 and now some 03 Acura TLS/CLS's they just replaced the transmissions, no questions asked.

Second, do you honestly expect honda to come out to my car, take a sample of my fluid and say, "Sir, you were using Redline Synthetic Fluid and that in and of itself was the sole reason your transmission failed." ---- NO.

I have the feeling that it is more the fears of the owners backing down to the dealerships. Its great marketing! Why not force fear into the owners and make them use only HONDA ATF fluid. Because honda would in turn loose money. We base all of our information on "Word of Mouth" myths in the business.

Has anyone had their transmissios blow up, then denied warranty work from honda because they used a superior fluid? Give me some dealership names and car owners and we will see if this really stacks up.

Is it even possible to know the difference between HONDA ATF, REDLINE, and another brand of the same fluid?

I will take my chances, and I sure has hell am not going to let a dealership nor an automotive company dictate that I MUST use their product and only their product.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:57 AM   #12

i know that they did a chemical test on my fluid in my HYUNDAI... yes i know it's a hyundai, and not a honda, but just to show you they do actually do it. and the HYUNDAI rep did have to come to authorize replacement of my tranny that blew @ 22k miles. they look for any exuse to not take the blame. The people i am dealing with at HONDA are the same service center as the HYUNDAI people and have never set me wrong (ie. i wanted synthetic oil i was willing to pay extra for. they told me it cost too much from them, and drove me to pep-boys on the the shuttle for me to purchase it myself and bring it back while they started working on my car) he said they don't want you to use synthetic because it is far superior and causes their mechanics less chance of future jobs.

and as you said, you will take your chances... just like anything else you do to your car. changing springs voids your suspension warrenty, messing with electronics voids your electrical components warrenty, changing headlight to high wattage bulbs voids the warrenty if your wires burn up. but we all do it. i'm not saying it's not better, or they won't replace it. i'm saying it's your risk.

My friend works at a Jeep/Suzuki dealership, and someone blew the tranny on his jeep, and because he used synthetic, they would only pay 50% of the cost of the repacement.

So no, i haven't had the problem with HONDA specifically, but the general workings of warrenty replacement are still the same.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:29 PM   #13
Banned

Re: Redline Synthetic Transmission Fluid

Quote:
Originally posted by Roadmaster
Redline looks as though it will provide much better protection from the dreaded transmission failure.

Dustin
it won't do jack if our trannys are prone to failure, IMHO. Johntypes (on acura-cl.com) changed his tranny fluid(redline) every 5,000miles, once he learn't the CLS tranny had problems. He did this really early to(11Kmiles). He is at 40Kmiles today, and his tranny is slipping. bottom line is this: its either honda fixed the tranny problems, or were're F**KED! oh, yeah, and john added a B&M tranny cooler, also, to no avail.
modfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:56 PM   #14

Yeah I agree. There just isn't any real good solutions. I really hope our versions of the 5A is different, but I somehow doubt too many modifications were made. I would just feel more secure knowing I have better fluid and an external cooler. But hell, I can't find the input/output lines that should run to the radiator.
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #15

I have been trying to figure out how to put an external tranny cooler and filter on myself. If anyone has done this, can you please share it with the rest of us. Thanks.
Kaiser311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #16
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
^^
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #17

Well I can speak from experiance, that Honda will come out and inspect the car for any modifations small or large. On my fiances 5th gen SS Prelude Honda came out and inspected the car when the tranny started to slip. The car had a intake, catback, rims, and neuspeed sport springs, pretty mild mods. The car was maintained to Hondas service schedule and they denied the warranty due to her AEM intake, springs, and her rims saying the 3 mods altered the shift points of the car and caused failure. Well the 17inch wheels equiped with 215/40/17 tires on the car where the same exact hieght as the factory stocks, so that theory does not work. Dont know how suspesion hieght changes shift points, And the intake makes no sense at all. After proving this to Honda, they still denied the warranty. The car also had an extended Honda Care warranty also, which is total crap, because it is a seperate company, not honda and they dont do crap for you. So yeah if your tranny went I am pretty damn sure they will check the fluid because they checked our preludes fluid also. Dont kid yourself, corporations do not throw money away. Also your owners manual states any modification done to your car that is not Honda parts and not Honda installed, will void your warranty. Honda covers there butt every way they can.
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:35 AM   #18

I called my neighborhood friendly dealership and asked them why/how they approved synthetic oil, but not tranny fluid.

they got the information for me and gave me this little tidbit from honda:

when they approve a certain item on their vehicles, they themselves must use and test it before it is approved. they cannot take the words of the manufacturer's product claims and tests. most non-oem items have some sort of disclaimer as to their use on your vehicle.
Old March 18th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #19

I e-mailed Redline some time ago and asked them if they could recommend a replacement tranny fluid for my 7th Gen V-6. In a word, their answer was "NO." Maybe they are taking the safe route, but if they don't feel confident enough to stand behind this application, I wouldn't use it.
fastnotfurious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:44 AM   #20

They tried that BS on me for my transmission the second time.
I got a attorney to send a nice letter to them.. and I got my transmission replaced... although that one didnt last long either.
Variance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:12 AM   #21
I'm still not 21.

Send a message via AIM to BConly
honda does specifically say to use only honda fluid for the tranny... I've heard horror stories of people who didn't follow that.
BConly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to driven
I swear if honda gives me sh1t for having aftermarket parts on my car, and say that voided my transmission warranty. I would go straight to honda of america with it. My dealership SELLS every aftermarket part you can buy for your honda!! they could never get away with telling me that this stuff voided my warranty!
driven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in