Borla exhaust question - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChrisQ80

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #1

Borla exhaust question

My car came with Borla exhaust with the resonator deleted. From what I've read, it's supposed to be relatively quiet (with the resonator in) Those of you that have an unmodified Borla cat-back, is it any louder on the highway / part-throttle?
vinuneuro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #2

I've seen vids of it w a resonator and it's about the quietest aftermarket exhaust they make for our cars...do u like urs? Could u post a vid so I could hear what urs is like? I'm thinking of getting one
07J30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #3

Interested in swapping with you btw.

If anyone has a clip of what this will sound like with PCDs/Jpipe I'd be interested to hear it. Nothing in the thread had both mods.
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 15th, 2014, 02:22 AM   #4

I wish I could get a sound clip. My custom Borla with pcds and jpipe, sounds phenomenal.
Ilovemyvtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 15th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemyvtx View Post
I wish I could get a sound clip. My custom Borla with pcds and jpipe, sounds phenomenal.
Glad you like it�� I swear, at certain rpm, it sounded like a v8
simione is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 15th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #6

Whats custom about it?
Old July 15th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBUS-AV6MT View Post
Whats custom about it?
He bought my old exhaust. 3 in to split 2.5 with 2 borla xs mufflers
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #8

Oh...I thought you were talking about a modified catback not a full custom. Would still like to hear it.

Closest I found to pcd/jpipe/borla catback was jpipe and catback. I'm wondering how raspy it'll be with pcds. Loud is fine...tinny raspy is now.
Old July 15th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #9

The borla ones i have heard sounded good but were very quiet. Not sure the sound you are going for but that can either be awesome or a little bit of a let down.
Priddin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 15th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #10

Quiet under 3k is good. Want to get rid of the rasp I have from 3-4k mainly. WOT beast mode is fine with me.
Old July 15th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Quiet under 3k is good. Want to get rid of the rasp I have from 3-4k mainly. WOT beast mode is fine with me.
I know atlas46 had borla in the beginning. Not sure if he ever used it with pcds or not. I'm pretty sure there would be no rasp, as I know that exhaust is super quiet. Maybe atlas can chime in?
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Oh...I thought you were talking about a modified catback not a full custom. Would still like to hear it.

Closest I found to pcd/jpipe/borla catback was jpipe and catback. I'm wondering how raspy it'll be with pcds. Loud is fine...tinny raspy is now.
Where did u find this I wana hear it. Thanks!!
07J30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #13

It was a dyno vid in Atlas' thread:

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...av6-daily.html

Sorry I don't know the post number. Should be pretty early in the thread he dumped the Borla quick.
Old July 15th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #14
The Jester

Quote:
It was a dyno vid in Atlas' thread:

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...av6-daily.html

Sorry I don't know the post number. Should be pretty early in the thread he dumped the Borla quick.
DAMN! watch that motor mount flex on the first video.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #15

Interesting that the pic of the exuast Atlas posted has a mid-muffler whereas the Borla site doesn't show one. Can anyone confirm which is right?

I'll post a clip tomorrow of mine tomorrow.

vinuneuro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #16

I put a Dynomax VT and 36" Resonator, i will tell you my exhaust sounds amazing and mean when on the throttle and literally zero drone at idle and cruising. The only issue and i am not sure if its a heat shield yet or the muffler is the valve rattles at 1000rpm bad so when you first start up in the morning and the car is heating up it sounds like you are driving a jalopy. After that start up and running it is amazing. I really cant recommend enough. I got it, and the rest of the 3" piping done for $500 total, all mandrel bent. Something to look at if you arent sure what you are looking for yet.
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #17

That tapping/rattling sound is from the VTs probably. I almost got them then I read a lot of people complaining about the flaps making a lot of noise at certain rpms. I guess when the air pressure is just enough to start to lift the flap but then slams shut when it lifts enough to release the pressure.

Some complained that the spring that holds the flap shut rusts and breaks then the flap just vibrates around.

Nothing against your exhaust, its a great idea to get rid of the drone but just wanted to give you a heads up.
quickkick127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #18

Yeah thank you for the heads up. It will help me with a lot of troubleshooting lol.

I am overall happy with it to the point that the start up is fine with me even though.

So to everyone else. Know that there is a good chance you might get a rattle. It happened about 2 weeks into owning it. That being said, i have zero drone when driving and it is very quiet until i get on it. Which is exactly what i wanted!!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:34 PM   #19

Currently I have a Borla Catback with 3.7 IM, and TB, CAI, RV6 J-pipe and stock pre cats. I want to get PCD's but I'm worried about rasp.

Currently the car sounds awesome. Not much louder than stock at all. It's all induction noise. The exhaust does have a really nice tone. I don't want to ruin it with the PCD's so I was thinking of HFPC.

2003 honda accord v6 6mt exhaust rev - YouTube

03 accord v6 6mt hondata flashpro - YouTube
Sonnick likes this.
ChrisQ80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 13th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #20

I just recently got a 03 honda accord and really like the borla exhaust but I can't find any preformance exhaust systems made for the sedan. Will a system made for a coupe fit on the sedan or are there any good systems for the sedan out there I'm having trouble finding one. I want a deep but loud sound
Johnsonv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 13th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #21

Do your own custom exhaust. The kits are way to expensive and don't offer the best performance.

Best gains:

Single 3" exhaust with one muffler out. More exhaust pressure and less to travel and lighter. I did this with a 36 6" magnaflow res, and a magnaflow offset muffler. We will see how it sounds but my 2.5" exhaust with just a magnaflow exhaust was STILL making a gun shot every so often ( to much back pressure).

second best is:

3" to a 2.5 dual. This will be the most quite and you can get away with a smaller resonator. something like a 24 or 18 will work well.

A 2.5" exhaust system is just WAY to restrictive for our cars and I run an auto pushing around 250 wheel.
nick650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonv6 View Post
I just recently got a 03 honda accord and really like the borla exhaust but I can't find any preformance exhaust systems made for the sedan. Will a system made for a coupe fit on the sedan or are there any good systems for the sedan out there I'm having trouble finding one. I want a deep but loud sound
It can be moded to fit the sedan. I got my borla from my buddy who had it on his 06 sedan. I believe it was just the hanger mounts on the 2 rear mufflers that have to get moved.
Rich01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
Interesting that the pic of the exuast Atlas posted has a mid-muffler whereas the Borla site doesn't show one. Can anyone confirm which is right?

I'll post a clip tomorrow of mine tomorrow.

Im pretty sure that pic from Borla is just a representation and not the actual product. Notice that the longer pipe going to the resonator section has a different bend, so are to 2 bends going to the rear mufflers. Mine does have a mid muffler also.
Rich01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick650 View Post
Do your own custom exhaust. The kits are way to expensive and don't offer the best performance.

Best gains:

Single 3" exhaust with one muffler out. More exhaust pressure and less to travel and lighter. I did this with a 36 6" magnaflow res, and a magnaflow offset muffler. We will see how it sounds but my 2.5" exhaust with just a magnaflow exhaust was STILL making a gun shot every so often ( to much back pressure).

second best is:

3" to a 2.5 dual. This will be the most quite and you can get away with a smaller resonator. something like a 24 or 18 will work well.

A 2.5" exhaust system is just WAY to restrictive for our cars and I run an auto pushing around 250 wheel.
There have been no dynos showing that a single 3" makes more power than a 3" to dual 2.5" split. I will say it's definitely lighter and may make more power, but who knows.

With that said, I had a 3" split to dual 2.5" and it was NOT quiet at all lol. I had the huge Magnaflow 36" resonator and 2 Vibrant Streetpower mufflers and it droned in the car and was pretty loud. Some people may not have considered it really loud, but I changed back to a stock catback because of it.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
There have been no dynos showing that a single 3" makes more power than a 3" to dual 2.5" split. I will say it's definitely lighter and may make more power, but who knows.

With that said, I had a 3" split to dual 2.5" and it was NOT quiet at all lol. I had the huge Magnaflow 36" resonator and 2 Vibrant Streetpower mufflers and it droned in the car and was pretty loud. Some people may not have considered it really loud, but I changed back to a stock catback because of it.
Your definitely right about the "light" part with the borla. It is insanely light compared to the stock. The borla is a very subtle exhaust, and comes in handy when the police are around. No drone what so ever. You can hear it when you get on it but I do wish it was a littttle bit louder sometimes. But its not a "look at me" kind of exhaust which I like, very dignified.
pa1nt13aller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in