Underdrive Pulley Problem - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #1

Underdrive Pulley Problem

So, I installed the Unorthodox underdrive crank pulley and have tightened the hell out of the crank pulley bolt so that shouldn't be any concern. However when I always hit 3rd gear the misfire light flashes on me.

My guess is its unbalanced? I might just take it off and put the stock back on idk...heres a video capturing it. I'm not feeling very safe with this modification on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk49...ature=youtu.be
pa1nt13aller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #2

I have an unorthodox crank pulley on my accord as well and I dont have a problem. just an fyi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa1nt13aller View Post
So, I installed the Unorthodox underdrive crank pulley and have tightened the hell out of the crank pulley bolt so that shouldn't be any concern. However when I always hit 3rd gear the misfire light flashes on me.

My guess is its unbalanced? I might just take it off and put the stock back on idk...heres a video capturing it. I'm not feeling very safe with this modification on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk49...ature=youtu.be
bozos_si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozos_si View Post
I have an unorthodox crank pulley on my accord as well and I dont have a problem. just an fyi.

Hmmmm okay good to know. Maybe I'll datalog and try to find out what the sensors are reading when I duplicate the scenario.

Old August 19th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #4

Reset the ecu
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2014, 10:04 PM   #5

Bro, you need to scan your ECU to see if there are any codes stored, and running it hard if it keeps flashing. The light only flashes, then goes off ?
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2014, 01:38 AM   #6
The Jester

1. There's a misfire light?
2. If problems continue without resolve, send it over, will test to see if it's just the pulley :-)
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord325 View Post
Bro, you need to scan your ECU to see if there are any codes stored, and running it hard if it keeps flashing. The light only flashes, then goes off ?
Yes the light flashes then goes away after 4-5 "flashes" of the check engine light. I am familiar by this as a misfire. Ill, scan it soon yes.

@Oracle the misfire light flashes in the video I provided. The car runs very well normally, but something is going on with high cam I think...idk if its the pulley or not. I'm going to datalog tomorrow morning and see what I can find out.
Old August 20th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #8

Pretty sure the pulley has nothing to do misfire. From the threads I have read on here, misfires are caused by valves that are out of adjustment or a coil pack going bad
simione is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #9

Like I already told you, I didn't have any issues like that on mine. But just some advice, I'd check the bolt tight sometime in the near future. I torqued mine to spec when I installed it and about 2k miles later when paul went to take it off, he didn't need any tools, the bolt was free spinning.
quickkick127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #10

Could also be a crank or cam sensor going bad.
Old August 20th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by simione View Post
Pretty sure the pulley has nothing to do misfire. From the threads I have read on here, misfires are caused by valves that are out of adjustment or a coil pack going bad
+spark plugs or valve cover seals allowing oil to seep into the plug holes with the coil packs. If the smaller pulley is causing misfires, you've got bigger problems. If an engine can run without the serpentine belt (no accessories), then I wouldn't think the pulley could affect timing. It's just coincidence, i think.

Example, after cleaning and recharging my air filter, I got misfires after hitting the limiter while not under load. Reset ecu and it went away. Did check and found a little oil around one of the plugs so I cleaned it. Weeks now with no issues since.
Rich01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #12

WAIT. I just realized.....im running full synthetic. I just switched it over to full synthetic recently because I work at honda and had a lot of saved up 1Qt's of it. So i went the cheap way and used em up. I heard somewhere recently not to do that in our engines....verification anyone???
Old August 20th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #13

I've used full synthetic for two+ years now without this problem.
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa1nt13aller View Post
WAIT. I just realized.....im running full synthetic. I just switched it over to full synthetic recently because I work at honda and had a lot of saved up 1Qt's of it. So i went the cheap way and used em up. I heard somewhere recently not to do that in our engines....verification anyone???
Man, not to sound mean but you are throwing everything at the wall and hoping it sticks. Oil is not your problem. I bought my car with 48k miles (currently 134k) and switched to full synthetic since day one. I did this with all my vehicles. The only thing they say about switch to synthetic is that viscosity is lighter and could cause some oil to leak through old seals.

You have a misfire, its fuel or spark. Hope that helps. I suggest scanning the ECU asap

NA.... Till I Spray
Old August 20th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord325 View Post
Man, not to sound mean but you are throwing everything at the wall and hoping it sticks. Oil is not your problem. I bought my car with 48k miles (currently 134k) and switched to full synthetic since day one. I did this with all my vehicles. The only thing they say about switch to synthetic is that viscosity is lighter and could cause some oil to leak through old seals.

You have a misfire, its fuel or spark. Hope that helps. I suggest scanning the ECU asap
Telling the truth isn't being mean...sorry I'm acting before I give it any thought myself. I'll look into it, scanning and datalogging. thanks everyone
Old August 21st, 2014, 12:33 AM   #16
Banned

i have the rz light weight pulley let me know if u fix the problem aslo what belt did u use for the pulley?
Accord_J30A5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 21st, 2014, 12:40 AM   #17

mines been running fine. i got 338k kilometers on the car.

running 5w-20 synth or 10w30 conventional for now
qaz393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in