Turbo kit/ manifold building interest. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #1

Turbo kit/ manifold building interest.

First thing I have to say is that what I am about to talk about IF he even goes through with it won't actually start for another couple of months. The guy making my turbo manifold was asking me today what kind of market (needs for turbo manifolds etc.) there is for the j series engines. And I told him I would make this post and see what responses I received. One question for you guys i have is if the manifold fit our j30a4/a5 it would also fit the j32a3 and the j35a8 ? Let me know. Thanks.
stalloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #2

Precat deletes are the same so I'm thinking yes it would work with all motors.
stalloutboy likes this.
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #3
The Jester

I would have interest. And yes it would work on all of those engines. Just would need ample room or at least a test fit to guarantee since these engines are in different cars and different engine bay layouts. What kind of price range would he be talking for a group buy?
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 17th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
I would have interest. And yes it would work on all of those engines. Just would need ample room or at least a test fit to guarantee since these engines are in different cars and different engine bay layouts. What kind of price range would he be talking for a group buy?
Well I would obviously be the the test dummy for our accords and I'm pretty sure he has a friend with an 04 3.2 tl that would gladly test fit the manifold. Yeah he would probably only want a group buy that's why I asked if it wpuld fit those other engines. Price range I'm not exactly sure since this would be his first time dealing with the j series engines but it our manifold looks pretty simple to make. Because all it is is a 6th gen v6 turbo manifold with precat deletes instead of headers. Also it depends on what other parts you would want to get from him because if I'm not mistaken he's a dealer for comp turbo and other companies.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #5

If I see him today I'll ask for an estimate on the manifold.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #6

here a starting point.

P2R J-Series Exhaust Manifold Flange Type-2, For use on V6 Honda/Acrua engines, P391 - HeelToe Automotive
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #7

I'm interested if it would be just the hot side parts. I dont want a $6000 turbo kit because I don't need a name brand turbo. China works for me!
screaminz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #8

maybe have the manifold and the piping and optional turbo/blow off valve combo or DIY set.
oraclem19 likes this.
Old October 17th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #9
The Jester

I'm not sure if there should be an option to include an exhaust set with the kit. Makes it more complete and all for plug and plays, but also ups that price.
Old October 17th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #10

maybe make so that I can be adapted to go after the cats? That way it can keep cost down and people with HFPC/PCD can still keep those pipes just incase they need to go back to stock. Also have the turbo sit somewhere where the stock intake or batter position is? Just throwing out ideas. I have no clue how to set up a turbo
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
maybe make so that I can be adapted to go after the cats? That way it can keep cost down and people with HFPC/PCD can still keep those pipes just incase they need to go back to stock. Also have the turbo sit somewhere where the stock intake or batter position is? Just throwing out ideas. I have no clue how to set up a turbo
That's my plan. I don't see why (other than because cats are a restriction) that someone wouldnt just offer an up-pipe that connects to the stock cats. Then you could use RV6 PCDs for better flow.

I would have the turbo over the transmission, forward and towards the fender a bit. There's quite a bit of room in the engine bay (TL at least) with the intake box and battery removed. Yes, it would require the battery be relocated, but that's minor and should be done anyways. The exhaust downpipe would probably have to be custom fabbed since you could ideally use different size turbos, but I'd have options to connect to the stock catback (not ideal), or to a 3in flange where the stock exhaust would connect.

I'm amazed that a turbo system hasn't been done already since tuning is now an option. I think its because most of the TL peeps drive slushboxes which you still cant get a hondata for. If there is ever a solution for the 04-06 Auto, I think there will be MUCH bigger support.
thisaznboi88 likes this.
Old October 17th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #12

Quote:
I REALLY like this idea but I'm not sure exactly how it would work. I should see him tonight or tomorrow though and I will talk to him about it
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #13

Hell, Im down. Boost and spray on a J35 swap. God, I'm going to kill myself if I keep doing this stuff. LOL
thisaznboi88 and stalloutboy like this.
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #14

I can't imagine what the throttle response would be if you had cats between the engine and turbo.

A shorter distance between the heads and the turbo is almost always the best solution. Replace the pcds/cats and most likely the jpipe but end up with a better design.

At least if I were to buy one it'd have to be that way...
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBUS-AV6MT View Post
I can't imagine what the throttle response would be if you had cats between the engine and turbo.

A shorter distance between the heads and the turbo is almost always the best solution. Replace the pcds/cats and most likely the jpipe but end up with a better design.

At least if I were to buy one it'd have to be that way...
This is true I didn't even think about that. Most people will probably want it the same way and it'll just make it easier overall so he doesn't have to mock up 2 designs.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #16
The Jester

Yeah no chance keeping the cats would be a good idea. Some idiot will put it on stock cats and blow it up.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #17

It never stopped the CT supercharger folks, lol. Not saying it is ideal, but it would work. STS has built a business around using the stock exhaust components to feed a turbo. The other potential upside is that it could be carb compliant possibly. I know in some states you cant move the placement of the cats - does that mean you cant put anything 'inline' of it though? If you have both 'precats' installed, and they connect to an uppipe instead of a j-pipe and that connects to the stock 3rd cat, then all is copacetic with the gov right? We don't know what emissions and cats are here in SC, so I dont know the legality of all that.
Old October 17th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #18

removal of the Cat is a federal offence punishable up to 3k in fine. blah blah blah. Sucks for people that have to do visual and smog test
Old October 18th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #19

If you want to see some of the work he's already done on other cars look up powerdynamix. He's big on the club lexus forums.
Old October 18th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #20

This would be great if it were an option. I'd definitely buy it.
Z3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #21

Im thinking bare minimum he would make for sale would be the piping and manifold. So intercooler, intercooler piping, manifold and down pipe which you can weld your own exhaust to or he can do a custom. He gave me an estimate on a full kit though yesterday for $4k. Do NOT take this estimate to heart though. I believe this full kit would include everything except EMS, fuel, and exhaust I'm not sure though as we didn't get into details. I think I started this thread a month too early guys .-. Sorry lol but I'll keep it updated
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #22

4k is cheap considering J&R was 6k
stalloutboy likes this.
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #23

Quote:
4k is cheap considering J&R was 6k
Exactly what I'm thinking. But remember this is a very early estimate we'll know more when he starts to fab my kit up.
Old October 19th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #24

Which turbo would he be using for this kit ? Also, would that include the battery relocation kit?
Z3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #25
DAT Dewd from Dallas MANG

my 2 cents...

I think your friend should focus on exhaust piping that goes either from the heads to the battery location with a turbo flange or a 180 coming from the j-pipe going up to where the battery is with a turbo flange......
don't forget we would need a down pipe returning back into the exhaust as well...

this way people could switch and use any turbo they want
all people buying the kit would need to fabricate their own charge pipes and intercooler setup...

this might be easier to mock up and mass produce as well....
you would need only 2 to 3 jigs....
bdbconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbconcepts View Post
I think your friend should focus on exhaust piping that goes either from the heads to the battery location with a turbo flange or a 180 coming from the j-pipe going up to where the battery is with a turbo flange......
don't forget we would need a down pipe returning back into the exhaust as well...

this way people could switch and use any turbo they want
all people buying the kit would need to fabricate their own charge pipes and intercooler setup...

this might be easier to mock up and mass produce as well....
you would need only 2 to 3 jigs....
That's the idea. While some people have no problem dropping 6K on a full setup, I'm not willing to, and inevitably even those kits make compromises in places I may not want to.

Get the hot side parts done, and maybe a 3in pipe with a v-band that is 18in log and one 90 and one 45 bend so the downpipe can be fabbed after the fact.

This would allow people to do whatever they want for a turbo, wastegate, downpipe, etc.

Personally, I would fab the up pipe as two pieces, flanged at two ends connecting to the stock cats, and then a v-band that has an upipe that has a T3 or T4 flange, with differing sized wastegate flanges. I'm not sure if a T3 flange is needed on these cars, might be easier to just do a T4.

To be honest, I'm not sure why RV6 hasn't done this already. An up-pipe would be a great add on to their PCDs, and would only complement them, it wouldn't steal sales from it.

Maybe I should just do it and quit talking about it, lol.
Old October 20th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #27

no twin turbo no care
qaz393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 20th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaz393 View Post
no twin turbo no care
meh - not really worth the effort.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminz28 View Post
meh - not really worth the effort.
yeah sonny had a twin turbo and had a lot of issues. car only made like 350whp with a twice turbo
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:36 PM   #30

^but wasn't he only running 5psi? Also it was all for show, wasn't it done on a completely stock J30 or atleast only lightly modded? Also Paul was working on a twin build...not sure if anything ever came of it though.

If this happens I may consider switching to a turbo set up instead of trying to find another supercharger...
quickkick127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in