TL-S rear sway bar installed...conclusions - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DMunny
  • 1 Post By DMunny

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #1
ER MER GERD!!!!
 
DMunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Statesville, NC
Posts: 129
Smile TL-S rear sway bar installed...conclusions

My buddy who got me to fall in love with the AV6-6 in the first place recently traded his in for a brand new Ford Focus ST. He hit me and and say hey man I need some help with some stuff and I got this rear sway bar we can throw on your car. So I went down last saturday and I helped him out with some stuff around the house and then we went about putting on the rear sway bar off a TL-S. I really didn't think that it would make a huge difference until I saw the stocker. It's twice as thick. I feel like I can just toss the car around the bends now without worries. The car rolls way less and just hugs the corners. Not only that the general ride feel feels more planted. I think it's just mental but I swear my acceleration feels more crisp and a little more instant. So if you are considering upgrading your rear way....DO IT!!!!
Sonnick likes this.
__________________
...V6 = VTEC AND TORQUE CAN CO-EXIST...
DMunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old November 20th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Sleeper
 
NvrDwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 2,101
On my 03 focus i had a 25mm rear sway bar. Roush suspension else where with a track alignment. it was the best ever to throw around a turn. The rear bar was just a bit bigger than the front which made it a little tail happy which was scary at first, but I learned to lay the power when that happens. That car would move effortlessly.
NvrDwn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Sonnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMunny View Post
My buddy who got me to fall in love with the AV6-6 in the first place recently traded his in for a brand new Ford Focus ST. He hit me and and say hey man I need some help with some stuff and I got this rear sway bar we can throw on your car. So I went down last saturday and I helped him out with some stuff around the house and then we went about putting on the rear sway bar off a TL-S. I really didn't think that it would make a huge difference until I saw the stocker. It's twice as thick. I feel like I can just toss the car around the bends now without worries. The car rolls way less and just hugs the corners. Not only that the general ride feel feels more planted. I think it's just mental but I swear my acceleration feels more crisp and a little more instant. So if you are considering upgrading your rear way....DO IT!!!!
You should run your buddy with the ST
__________________
7.5G J30 6spd -- 13.28 @107.56
Full Bolt ons/Street Tune/3.94 Final Drive
Instagram = j30_allmotor
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #4
ER MER GERD!!!!
 
DMunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Statesville, NC
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
You should run your buddy with the ST
We plan on it as soon as I get my brakes and alignment done. Right now When I'm slowing down from anything over 80mph the car shakes violently. It's been a while since I posted in here but I am rolling with an injen RD CAI, xlr8 V2 Jpipe, Apex'i WSII catback, UR stock diameter crank pully, CT engineering SS, sitting on Tein Dress ups and KYB struts. I think vs a stock ST it should be a drivers race.
Sonnick likes this.
DMunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #5
ER MER GERD!!!!
 
DMunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Statesville, NC
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrDwn View Post
On my 03 focus i had a 25mm rear sway bar. Roush suspension else where with a track alignment. it was the best ever to throw around a turn. The rear bar was just a bit bigger than the front which made it a little tail happy which was scary at first, but I learned to lay the power when that happens. That car would move effortlessly.
yeah i can definitely mash the gas sooner in a corner w/o worrying about ending up in the ditch.
__________________
...V6 = VTEC AND TORQUE CAN CO-EXIST...
DMunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Sleeper
 
NvrDwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 2,101
What breaks and pads are you getting?

I spent like $200 for good rotors and pads and have done some hard breaking.. love them.

Last edited by NvrDwn; November 20th, 2014 at 11:46 AM..
NvrDwn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #7
ER MER GERD!!!!
 
DMunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Statesville, NC
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrDwn View Post
What breaks and pads are you getting?

I spent like $200 for good rotors and pads and have done some hard breaking.. love them.
was just going to go stock replacment but if you got something better for around 200 let me know what and where. Because I can do the job myself and save on labor.
__________________
...V6 = VTEC AND TORQUE CAN CO-EXIST...
DMunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Sleeper
 
NvrDwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 2,101
i have a sedan, more than likely you have a coupe so thats what I'm looking up, fyi.

These pads:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...6&autoModClar=

These rotors: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...6&autoModClar=

Best ever for daily with a few 100mph pulls, just bed them in correctly.
NvrDwn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #9
ER MER GERD!!!!
 
DMunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Statesville, NC
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrDwn View Post
i have a sedan, more than likely you have a coupe so thats what I'm looking up, fyi.

These pads:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...6&autoModClar=

These rotors: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...6&autoModClar=

Best ever for daily with a few 100mph pulls, just bed them in correctly.
Thanks bro, I know where 200 bucks is going on payday.
__________________
...V6 = VTEC AND TORQUE CAN CO-EXIST...
DMunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #10
The Jester
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,352
Those rotors are a good link, my pads are lasting near forever(got equivalent of ebc of those pads) but the rotors could be newer.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2014, 06:18 AM   #11
Sleeper
 
NvrDwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
Those rotors are a good link, my pads are lasting near forever(got equivalent of ebc of those pads) but the rotors could be newer.
You mean couldn't be newer?
__________________
PCDS, Custom 3" exhaust, 3" HFC, 4" CAI, Polished ZDX TB, P&P Intake Manifold, P&P Runners, deleted butterfly valve, UDP, deleted a/c and p/s, 160lbs lighter, and smaller tires.

1/8th mile 9.06 @ 82.31
8's here I come.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NvrDwn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2014, 06:22 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 46
I think he means his rotors are on its way out, so 'could be newer' would be right.

on topic, I ordered the parts but winter is here so I don't know when it'll get installed
atrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2014, 07:15 AM   #13
ER MER GERD!!!!
 
DMunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Statesville, NC
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrx View Post
I think he means his rotors are on its way out, so 'could be newer' would be right.

on topic, I ordered the parts but winter is here so I don't know when it'll get installed
yeah I'm in NC and this past saturday was cold as faaaack. The beer helped tho.
__________________
...V6 = VTEC AND TORQUE CAN CO-EXIST...
DMunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2014, 07:34 AM   #14
Sleeper
 
NvrDwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
those rotors are a good link, my pads are lasting near forever(got equivalent of ebc of those pads) but the rotors could be newer.
you have those same rotors? For how long?
__________________
PCDS, Custom 3" exhaust, 3" HFC, 4" CAI, Polished ZDX TB, P&P Intake Manifold, P&P Runners, deleted butterfly valve, UDP, deleted a/c and p/s, 160lbs lighter, and smaller tires.

1/8th mile 9.06 @ 82.31
8's here I come.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NvrDwn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:16 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 610
I forgot I have a tl-s sway bar sitting in my garage. Maybe I'll install it and see what all of the fuss is about.

I need to find a large parking lot so I can thrash about and not worry about ending up in a ditch.
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2014, 10:21 AM   #16
ER MER GERD!!!!
 
DMunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Statesville, NC
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBUS-AV6MT View Post
I forgot I have a tl-s sway bar sitting in my garage. Maybe I'll install it and see what all of the fuss is about.

I need to find a large parking lot so I can thrash about and not worry about ending up in a ditch.
be prepared to cuss at honda for the lack of space to turn your wrench. but once the stocker is off the rest is cake.
__________________
...V6 = VTEC AND TORQUE CAN CO-EXIST...
DMunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2014, 04:18 PM   #17
teamxxxracing
 
ET racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Queens N.Y.
Posts: 91
Installed the 19mm.neuspeed rear sway bar.$125.00 free shipping.Works good.
__________________
Richie[#4812]
ET racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2014, 06:10 PM   #18
The Jester
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrDwn View Post
you have those same rotors? For how long?
My rotors have been resurfaced, twice, and are still above spec by some for minimum allowable described by Honda.


I think i've replaced my pads twice. I live in an area with nearly no flat land.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2014, 10:31 PM   #19
Mr. Detail
 
Scottwax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 1,118
I've got both the front and rear TL-S bars on my car, definitely reduced lean in turns, car feels way more planted. Might go up to an after market 23 mm rear bar, did the rear bar first on my car and liked how it made it rotate better (less understeer). Adding the front TL-S bar and an upper front strut bar brought back some of the understeer, although not as bad as the stock anti-roll bars. So increase rear roll stiffness with an even larger bar should get me back where I was with just the rear TL-S bar but with even less sway.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 22nd, 2014, 04:29 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 610
Do the stock bushings work or do I need TLS bushings? Probably putting new ones on either way and I'd be surprised if the stock ones work with the wider bar.
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 23rd, 2014, 07:07 PM   #21
Mr. Detail
 
Scottwax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 1,118
Get either the TL-S bushings or some urethane bushings in the proper size, 20 mm.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 23rd, 2014, 09:36 PM   #22
The Jester
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,352
Definitely go urethane. Scott what is your current setup in mms? Have one of the conservative sizes of rear bar in there because I did not want to unbalance under/oversteer by going with the wrong sizes. The oversteer it has now is near what I want it at. Slightly dangerous if somebody else tries to high speed it around a corner, super agile for someone experienced with the car.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 24th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 195
Best to get moog endlinks as well.
bigballer8526 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 24th, 2014, 08:47 AM   #24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballer8526 View Post
Best to get moog endlinks as well.
no. oem or spherical bushing links......
qaz393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 24th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by qaz393 View Post
no. oem or spherical bushing links......
moogs are definitely beefier.

oems are weak. couldnt even loosen mine as I stripped the hex key. I just cut it off.
bigballer8526 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 25th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #26
Mr. Detail
 
Scottwax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
Definitely go urethane. Scott what is your current setup in mms? Have one of the conservative sizes of rear bar in there because I did not want to unbalance under/oversteer by going with the wrong sizes. The oversteer it has now is near what I want it at. Slightly dangerous if somebody else tries to high speed it around a corner, super agile for someone experienced with the car.
27 mm solid bar up front, 20 mm solid bar rear. Original for the sedan is 25.4 mm hollow and 13 mm solid respectively. I think it still understeers a bit too much. Not like stock though. My son's Prelude has 25 mm front and 23 mm rear and his car feels very neutral.

Increased front end stiffness = understeer
Increased rear end stiffness = oversteer

When you get them both right though, the car should rotate well and not lean towards either under or oversteer. Since 27/20 still has some understeer, I'll go larger in the rear and have 27/24.
__________________
2004 Honda Accord EX V6. Mine is shinier than yours.

2004 Infiniti G35 6MT. Also super shiny.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #27
The Jester
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,352
As of now I have 25.4 hollow and 20 rear and it feels very solid, maybe with some slight oversteer likely contributed to body roll(at high speed), if I remove the supports behind the rear seats(those diagonal metal panels) the car feels a bit locked up in the turns which I would assume is understeer.

So it sounds like if I wanted some more stability I would need to go aftermarket rear and 27 tl-s up front. The current oversteer only occurs over 70-75 (Phoenix has VERY banked VERY high speed twisty highways compared to norm)

That could potentially take care of that high speed issue though, am I correct in thinking this? Given that I have better tires installed and a stiffer suspension frame that it should feel more secure on those style turns?
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 26th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #28
Bobby Lane Racing
 
nighthawk04v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
As of now I have 25.4 hollow and 20 rear and it feels very solid, maybe with some slight oversteer likely contributed to body roll(at high speed), if I remove the supports behind the rear seats(those diagonal metal panels) the car feels a bit locked up in the turns which I would assume is understeer.

So it sounds like if I wanted some more stability I would need to go aftermarket rear and 27 tl-s up front. The current oversteer only occurs over 70-75 (Phoenix has VERY banked VERY high speed twisty highways compared to norm)

That could potentially take care of that high speed issue though, am I correct in thinking this? Given that I have better tires installed and a stiffer suspension frame that it should feel more secure on those style turns?
Most likely what you are experiencing is not oversteer, but improved grip up front from upgrading the rear bar. Your car will not "over steer" with a sway bar change unless your rear alignment is set to do so. Removing the support brace behind the seat softens up the rear chassis thus allowing the rear to grip more, which will cause the car to understeer or feel "locked up" mid corner.

If you upgrade the front bar, you will experience "understeer" and more push mid corner.

If the over steer you are experiencing at 70-75 is controllable than it is a good thing.


Feeling secure and stable is not an improvement in handling but a mere factor that the car is setup to feel stable and secure like a factory car. A car that handles will drive like poo in a straight line, most of the time tracks out.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 26th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #29
The Jester
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
Most likely what you are experiencing is not oversteer, but improved grip up front from upgrading the rear bar. Your car will not "over steer" with a sway bar change unless your rear alignment is set to do so. Removing the support brace behind the seat softens up the rear chassis thus allowing the rear to grip more, which will cause the car to understeer or feel "locked up" mid corner.

If you upgrade the front bar, you will experience "understeer" and more push mid corner.

If the over steer you are experiencing at 70-75 is controllable than it is a good thing.


Feeling secure and stable is not an improvement in handling but a mere factor that the car is setup to feel stable and secure like a factory car. A car that handles will drive like poo in a straight line, most of the time tracks out.
Interesting outlook on it. Was aiming for somewhere between the two where the drivers still go wtf is going on in this turn, but not crash.

At 45 as long as you balance throttle through the turn, turns fantastic. 70-75 on the sweeping turns, if you try to change lanes it feels like you're about to slip out.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On