04 V6 Sedan Exhaust question - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2004, 11:54 PM   #1
Vtec = Torque

Lightbulb 04 V6 Sedan Exhaust question

Is it me or is there nobody that has a different exhaust for the 04 Accord V6 Sedan? I love the car, but the exhaust has to go.

I used the search and none of the posts were relevant, I'm hoping you guys could help me with some information.

Is there that much lack of demand for the sedan?
Its A V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2004, 12:03 AM   #2

check out this one... came across it on cardomain...
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/397279
bigBEN CM6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 11th, 2004, 12:03 AM   #3

This is the only one I've seen:

Click here for more pics.

I believe he had to custom fit the exhaust tips by cutting outlets into the bumper. Great job IMO. Makes it look much more aggressive. I hate the way the stock exhaust looks (how it curves downward). It makes the car look cheap! Why did Honda design it that way?!
Monoxide Child is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 11th, 2004, 12:08 AM   #4
Vtec = Torque

Yeah, now that's nice. It enhances the look greatly.

I too wonder the same thing, it looks very lame stock.

It'd be nice if Greddy or Apexi would release one..anyone. I know Greddy has one for the coupe, shouldn't be *too* hard to make it for the sedan.. oh well.
Old March 11th, 2004, 05:40 AM   #5
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Magnaflow and Borla have exhaust systems that fit the sedan...... although I think the tips need to be modified on the Borla, to fit the sedan's bumper.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 11th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #6
NXceptionalAcCoRd

HEY THAT"S MY CAR!!! Yeah I hated the way it looked too, but don't worry honda is not the only one that makes it like this, look at VW, Benz, and a couple of others. I have borla on mine and I'm very pleased with the sound. You're gonna have to do some custom work for it to have any sound though, I had them custom a 2.5in straight pipe and I also got a megan test pipe in there too! Sounds really nice.
bda$$accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #7
Vtec = Torque

If you don't mind, how much did the borla setup cost you?

Also, what does the magnaflow exhaust look like?
Old March 11th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #8

what makes the G35coupe sound the way they do? Does your exhuast sounds similiar?
bigBEN CM6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #9
NXceptionalAcCoRd

Well if you weigh the cost and benefits of a exhaust system like greddy, borla and others it's just not worth the money. So I just decided to custom the exhaust. It was $120 for each Borla XS Muffler, $100 to custom build the piping, $40 for tips, and $70 for the Megan test pipe. I'm pretty sure my car sounds louder than a g35 but for sure it doesn't sound like rice! Hey 'It's a V6' where are you located in SOCAL, you can come by and check out my ride if you want.
Old March 13th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #10
Vtec = Torque

I live in Garden Grove, and I work in Aliso Viejo, where you located?
Old March 13th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #11

Fyi, I just saw where the Greddy Evo2 system is out for the gen 7's..... but it didn't say whether is was coupe or sedan, but the picture shows a coupe, so probably coupe. May fit a sedan with some minor tip changes though.
Old March 13th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #12
Vtec = Torque

yeah, i saw it on greddy.com, it does say coupe, but it shouldn't be too hard to convert it for a sedan, no? Maybe someone can elaborate on this further.
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #13
NXceptionalAcCoRd

'Its A V6' I live in Huntington Beach, so we're pretty near. Let me now if you want to meet up or someting.
Old March 13th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by Its A V6 on March 13th, 2004 at 01:26 PM

yeah, i saw it on greddy.com, it does say coupe, but it shouldn't be too hard to convert it for a sedan, no? Maybe someone can elaborate on this further.

Since it's for the coupe, the tips would come straight out the back..... the coupe's rear bumper has "cutouts" for the tips...... the sedan's bumper does not.

So, you'd either have to modify the muffler tips to fit the sedan bumper......... or modify the bumper by cutting out some "cutouts", which I read here that somebody had done, so that's an option, I guess.
Old March 14th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #15
Vtec = Torque

Huntington Beach, that's close, let me see when i can.
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #16
Who's yo daddy?

Talking Just ordered Magnaflow 15800 system

Hope it's not too loud. There's a thread in the vendor / groupbuy section http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...124&forumid=81

Vendor is "performancepeddler" on eBay. Looks legit (has tons of positive feedback.) Spoke with Brad @ 866-399-4215.

$375.00 shipped for the 15800 system. Vendor will have Magnaflow drop ship to me direct. Should be here late this week, early next week. I'll be sure and get pics up ASAP.

Jim

Link to Magnaflow http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/cat-backs/honda.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2004, 04:48 AM   #17
Who's yo daddy?

Smile

Anyone who's installed the Magnaflow 15800 system on a 7th gen sedan (without modified tips) please post some pics! I'd love to see it.

Fedex shows mine in Ohio already. Should be here tomorrow, or Friday at the latest.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 17th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #18
Who's yo daddy?

Talking It's on

But it's louder than I expected. 2500 rpm is really loud. I also noticed an immediate loss of torque (at least the butt dyno can feel it.) Hope it quiets down over the next several weeks.. but I highly doubt that.

Oh well, for $375.00 shipped it's still a great deal. Might have to add another resonator before it's all said and done, but that's not a problem.

Please excuse the dirty ride.. it's freak'n snowing here again!

Last edited by Mackdaddy; March 17th, 2004 at 07:04 PM..
Old March 18th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #19

Mackdaddy - Looks good but if it's loud like you said it is, I'll just keep my stock setup for now.

Spoiler, Splash guards, fenderliners, chrome tips, day/night mirror, 3M clear-film hood protectant, 35% llumar Tint, pinstripes? (came with it)
Brembo blank rotors with Napa Auto Premium Ceramix brake pads (stops better than stock brakes)
Blue03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #20
Who's yo daddy?

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue03
Mackdaddy - Looks good but if it's loud like you said it is, I'll just keep my stock setup for now.
I spoke too soon. It's so obnoxious between 2400-2900 RPM, I'm taking it off! It's that bad. And, I don't give a crap what Magnaflow says, I feel a loss in low end torque. So, I'm off shortly to have my stock system re-installed.

Live and learn......

Old March 18th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #21
Who's yo daddy?

Smile

Just in case anyone wants this system, I posted it in the For Sale section. I've got some things I'm interested in listed in the post as well (possible trade.)

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...769&forumid=80

Last edited by Mackdaddy; March 18th, 2004 at 05:23 PM..
Old March 18th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #22
mog

Quote:
Originally posted by Mackdaddy
I spoke too soon. It's so obnoxious between 2400-2900 RPM, I'm taking it off! It's that bad. And, I don't give a crap what Magnaflow says, I feel a loss in low end torque. So, I'm off shortly to have my stock system re-installed.

Live and learn......
I had lost in torque before too installing a dynomax turbo muffler on a 4runner. But it looks like those magnaflow pipes are way too big...thus giving u loss in torque. Do you have measurements on the stock and magnaflow pipe diamters? I wonder if the borla have the same problem...
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2004, 04:09 AM   #23
Who's yo daddy?

Magnaflow system is 2.25" to the "Y" and 2" thereafter (and these are O.D. measurements, not I.D.) Should be just about perfect for an NA setup (by design at least.)

Not sure what the OE setup is....

Last edited by Mackdaddy; March 19th, 2004 at 12:05 PM..
Old March 21st, 2004, 06:08 PM   #24

Re: It's on

Quote:
But it's louder than I expected. 2500 rpm is really loud. I also noticed an immediate loss of torque (at least the butt dyno can feel it.) Hope it quiets down over the next several weeks.. but I highly doubt that.

Oh well, for $375.00 shipped it's still a great deal. Might have to add another resonator before it's all said and done, but that's not a problem.

Please excuse the dirty ride.. it's freak'n snowing here again!
Saw your pics of the Magnaflow. You mentioned that it was very loud at 2500 RPM, and that you might add another resonator. I was looking for a performance exhaust for my 03 V6 Sedan, but I'm interested in power, not noise. My V2 makes all the noise I need.

The pics make it look like there's a lot of room to add another resonator behind (or in place of) the cat. Have you tried this yet, and if so how did it work? I agree with you--you can't beat the price. Talked to HR, and they are still offering at less than $400 delivered. But I'll be wasting my money if it's loud and another resonator won't fix it.

By the way, if you're thinking about getting a race cat (ie resonator--it's not a cat at all), the only one's I've seen are 2.25" ID and 2.5" OD. The outlet on the downpipe is about 2.44", so it's not a good match. I ended up grinding the inlet to the race cat to soften the transition. My thought was to weld a flange to the inlet of a resonator with a 2.5" ID inlet and outlet and just slip fit the Magnaflow (after cutting the inlet flange off) into the 2.5" outlet of the new resonator, then clamp it together. If I need to put the factory cat back on, I'd just slip off the new resonator and then band clamp the Magnaflow flange back on. Should work if the Magnaflow piping is 2.5" OD.
fastnotfurious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 21st, 2004, 06:16 PM   #25
Banned

Re: It's on

Quote:
But it's louder than I expected. 2500 rpm is really loud. I also noticed an immediate loss of torque (at least the butt dyno can feel it.) [/IMG]
well, the reason your experiencing a torque loss, could be because you have your stock airbox in. I'm just guessing. for gains, try freeing up some air, by installing a cold air intake. Injen, and aem make them.

I installed my magnaflows, after a prior installation, of an injen cold air intake, and an apexi vafc. The first mod I did to my car was an injen cold air intake. I felt a torque loss down low and a gain up top.(so it seems that just intake alone, w/stock exhaust, or just exhaust alone, w/stock intake, results in a low end torque loss). now with mods, on cars, you really have to be patient, and do more mods, that compliment each other. if you look at dyno graphs on imports, done by tunning mags, you can see that intake alone gives power in certain rpm rangers, and looses power in others. So too does exhaust. However, when looking at a dyno graph of a car with an intake, and an exhaust, you always see quite a difference, when compared to stock. I've even gone the extra step and tunned the car with the apexi VAFC, and let me tell you, my torque, both low end, and top end, is no joke now. you are a cold air intake away from seeing gains my friend, trust me.
however if you can't stand any sort of noise at all, then breathing mods in general, are not for you.

Last edited by modfreak1; March 21st, 2004 at 06:30 PM..
modfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 21st, 2004, 06:22 PM   #26
Banned

Quote:

Live and learn......
In my experience it only drones at exactly 2,500rpms, and its not even loud at all. It truely is the quietest exhaust you can get out there, expecially from the outside. its very quiet on the outside, with a nice deep sound. when you are going up hill, and its constantly landing at 2,500rpms, yes it does get a little anoying, but thats about it. under normal driving its not loud on the inside, and I've had both parents in my car, and they didn't even notice, so go figure!

Modifications in general do change your car's characteristics. You really should have driven it with the magnaflows for a while, to see if you like it/can get used to it. When I was looking at exhausts, I found that magnaflow, borla, and tanabe, pretty much had the same exact piping measurements! Go do the research for yourself if you doubt me. they are all 57-60mm piping. And they all will drone at a certain rpm down low, unless you add a resonator. Now if gains are what you are after, I suggest you don't go with a resonator, like borla's are using, because that will slow up the exhaust flow, and thus nulify some gains IMHO.

Last edited by modfreak1; March 21st, 2004 at 06:38 PM..
Old March 21st, 2004, 06:52 PM   #27
Who's yo daddy?

Gentlemen,

The exhaust is off the car for good AFAIK. You have no idea how loud it was from 2400-2900 rpm in my car. Period. I don't doubt others like it, but it's not for me. Seems everyone else who have done afermarket exhaust own coupes. I have yet to hear from anyone with a 7th gen sedan post their opinions.

I do have a puesdo CAI (OEM Accord coupe V6 6-spd CAI.) The combination of the heavy 17" wheels&tires / CAI / Magnaflow catback killed low end torque (around town daily driving off the line acceleration.) The exhaust and wheels are now off the car. Much better acceleration and braking. Don't know if the 17's will ever go back on either.

Jim

Last edited by Mackdaddy; March 21st, 2004 at 07:20 PM..
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:03 PM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Gentlemen,
The exhaust is off the car for good AFAIK. You have no idea how loud it was from 2400-2900 rpm in my car. Period. I don't doubt others like it, but it's not for me. Seems everyone else who have done afermarket exhaust own coupes. I have yet to hear from anyone with a 7th gen sedan post their opinions.
well, what can I say man? I mean you are right that most of the people with magnaflows are coupe owners, but none of them have posted complaints about the noise, and all of them LOVE their exhaust. I don't know what to say. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but regarding the question of your low end torque, I have to ask you this: "how do you go from 16's to 17's", and not expect that? I mean you added the wheels at the same time you did the exhaust modification right? Don't you know that 17's WILL sap your torque because you have increased your moment of inertia? Oh and your 6spd cai, does count as a cai, so I guess I have to blame the wheels. The 6spd cai, can't be anywhere as loud as the Injen or aem cai's, and god knows I had a reaction similar to yours when I put on my injen's. But I didn't complain, life went on, and I love them now. In fact from now on, I will always put one on any import I own. to each his own man. Just take my advice, and take it easy on the mods. god knows you shouldn't lower your car..........you might complain about the bouncyness.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:21 AM   #29
Who's yo daddy?

17" wheels went on the car right after I got her last November.

Lol, see my gallery on Fotki.

Last edited by Mackdaddy; March 26th, 2004 at 08:35 PM..
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #30
Banned

Where can I get a megan test pipe (isn't that a hi flow cat)???

Please help!!!
TheRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in