V2 intake clunking under accel in first - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #1

V2 intake clunking under accel in first

Just installed a v2 on my 6-6. When I'm in first gear and get on the throttle sharply from a slow roll I feel a "clunking" through the gas pedal. The anchor point at the bottom is secure and all other connections are tight. The clearance through the passage to the fender well is tight and there is a fair amount of pipe movement right there. Enough to where if I wiggle it I can deflect it approx one inch without too much effort causing it to contact the sheet metal in that area.

Anyone have this much movement with thier v2? I think this issue must have to do with the intake because I never noticed it until I installed it. I bought it used and the throttle body coupler seems kinda flimsy. Perhaps adding to the problem? Anyone have any ideas what to check for or how to sure it up?

Last edited by 07J30; March 11th, 2015 at 07:33 PM..
07J30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #2

Used to have that problem during cold start but it's an easy fix. Just adjust how you angle and clamp the intake to the tb so the intake tube is farthest away from the body frame. Secondly, you can add a stopper at where the tube is making contact with the body. I put a piece of plastic washer on the frame where the intake tube will most likely to hit. No it's little to no more noise.
nathanhuu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 12th, 2015, 05:16 AM   #3

By this do you mean increasing the space inside the coupler between the tb and the intake tube? Or adjust the coupler while watching the clearance where the tube enters the fender well and secure in a position where most clearance is observed?

Old March 12th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Carpe Diem

Put some felt or something similar on the sheet metal where the V2 is hitting.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 12th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #5

Adjust the coupler.
nathanhuu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 12th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #6

Ok so I got the intake squared away...no contact anywhere and all possible contact points have been buffered. Bad news is the clunk remains. It's not in the intake at all.

When I come out of first gently and am rolling at about 1-2 mph I'll give it a quick throttle snap (1/2 throttle) and as soon as I do that I get the clunk a fraction of a second later. Almost like somthing has excessive play and the throttle takes the play out then when contact is made I get the noise. I can feel it through the pedal and hear it slightly also.

It's def up front somwhere, and when I drive grandma style no clunk. It happens with the wheels turned or straight and only in 1st or 2nd gear (torque is a factor maybe?).

I've checked all suspension components up front and brake components, all tight. I've checked the exhaust and hangers, all tight no contact w underbody. Everything else seems snug. Axles have a very slight amount of play in both directions.

NRG torque damper was added not long ago however it's still snug, no play. Perhaps an engine mount elsewhere? Could Nrg dampener worn my rear mount out? I had to deviate from the "standard" mounting holes on the bracket to make it even close to fitting but retained the recommended mounting points. I'm lost, no idea what to look for
Old March 12th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #7
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07J30 View Post
Ok so I got the intake squared away...no contact anywhere and all possible contact points have been buffered. Bad news is the clunk remains. It's not in the intake at all.

When I come out of first gently and am rolling at about 1-2 mph I'll give it a quick throttle snap (1/2 throttle) and as soon as I do that I get the clunk a fraction of a second later. Almost like somthing has excessive play and the throttle takes the play out then when contact is made I get the noise. I can feel it through the pedal and hear it slightly also.

It's def up front somwhere, and when I drive grandma style no clunk. It happens with the wheels turned or straight and only in 1st or 2nd gear (torque is a factor maybe?).

I've checked all suspension components up front and brake components, all tight. I've checked the exhaust and hangers, all tight no contact w underbody. Everything else seems snug. Axles have a very slight amount of play in both directions.

NRG torque damper was added not long ago however it's still snug, no play. Perhaps an engine mount elsewhere? Could Nrg dampener worn my rear mount out? I had to deviate from the "standard" mounting holes on the bracket to make it even close to fitting but retained the recommended mounting points. I'm lost, no idea what to look for
The sound happening right after the engine catches the transmission is usually an idicator of something attached to the engine hitting another component physically. The fact that it happens not when you actually engage the engine but right after sounds like it's either in constant contact or nearly. When the engine torques against the trans it jumps upward and outward(thus the dampener), when you let off or disengage it from the trans it sits deeper.

Sounds like it might still be that intake hitting if it really is real close to the body panels.

However if you had to fab any part of an engine mount, I would look there as well for either anything that can knock or anything that can be moved. If it's moving, the engine is moving.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 13th, 2015, 07:09 AM   #8

I have a similar problem. Some clunking going on at the front of the engine, usually as the clutch engages or disengages. There was a another clunk going on but I found out that was the exhaust muffler hitting the inside corner of the bumper trim.

Ya it seems as torque is applied...I get a clunk. Then again I am putting down 300whp+ so I wonder if its my axles....
pa1nt13aller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 13th, 2015, 07:19 AM   #9

Do you have the Nrg torque damper in the location where it's anchored to the rear mount?

Last edited by 07J30; March 13th, 2015 at 08:34 AM..
Old March 13th, 2015, 09:11 AM   #10
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa1nt13aller View Post

Ya it seems as torque is applied...I get a clunk. Then again I am putting down 300whp+ so I wonder if its my axles....
could also be something like the shocks being worn out and worn out springs (our car sits when it accelerates so you could be hitting the bump stop up top)

or IIRC there's something about how the LCA moves that if that bushing is worn as all hell it can hit the frame, something like that.
Old March 13th, 2015, 11:43 AM   #11

Well I drove it this mourning and I couldn't replicate the clunk, perhaps because the engine was not up to temp yet? Very strange. I have new konis/htechs going on as soon as we get settled into the new house, but every bushing seems in good shape (no slop or cracking) with the exception of some minor cracking on compliance bushings.

The motor mounts all seem good but I don't really know how to check them, I see no fluid leaking from them or wet areas and from what I can feel they are all tight and intact. Anything special I should do to check them?
Old March 13th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #12
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07J30 View Post
The motor mounts all seem good but I don't really know how to check them, I see no fluid leaking from them or wet areas and from what I can feel they are all tight and intact. Anything special I should do to check them?
well **** I hope they weren't leaking any fluid, that might mean your tail light fluid is getting low...

I know for autos you can put the car in park and in/out of gear with a little rev to see how much the engine jumps, but in a manual that might just slip and burn the clutch.

Could try driving it hard, disengage the clutch hard and quick, see if you can replicate it.

then try that whole foam with AEM thing too, since that's probably it.
Old March 13th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #13

Our cars have hydraulic mounts no? I guess I just figured they did Bc I've heard of ppl filling them w poly.
Old March 14th, 2015, 01:52 PM   #14

Just got the cmc replaced also...come to think of it, I noticed this problem start right after I got it back and I doubt if they adjusted the clutch pedal after replacing the cmc. Could this be my problem? Does the pedal need to be adjusted after cmc replacement? According to shop manual it does

Last edited by 07J30; March 14th, 2015 at 02:45 PM..
Old October 25th, 2015, 08:54 AM   #15

It's the NRG torque damper that makes the clunk. I noticed this awhile ago but it slowly faded away. recently I inspected my under body and found the torque damper bolt on the engine mount to be very loose, tightened it back up, started to get a loud clunk as I applied torque.
Old October 25th, 2015, 09:11 AM   #16

The bottom mount for the torque damper can swivel, so my guess is it needs to be aligned perfectly as torque pushes it back, if not, it will buckle and clunk.
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #17

This ended up being the damper. Where is "screws" together was loose. I meant to come back and update this but never did. Hope this helps anyone in the future and good suggestion paintballer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in