Engine tick after HFPC install? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By simione

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #1

Engine tick after HFPC install?

Car never did this until I installed the hfpc so it might be a normal manifestation. Noticed it the first time I fired her up after the install.

When I crank the car it fires up and does its initial idle surge at 1.5k for 1-2 sec before the idle comes down to normal. There's no ticking during this short high idle time. As soon as it settles down to normal idle I hear a loud ticking for about 30 sec then it goes away completely and I don't hear it at all again.

It must be either injectors or valves but I find it strange it only happens for such a short time after startup. I have almost 200 miles since the install everything is tight no exhaust leaks.
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2015, 07:14 AM   #2

Sounds like the usual valve tick after the car warms up, but it usually doesn't go away and the car normally has to go through at least 1 fan cycle before it starts. May worth doing a valve adjustment if you have the tools. I hear a series ticks after turning off my car, but that's on all cars with newer pipes off the manifold.
Rich01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2015, 09:56 AM   #3

If it were valves wouldn't it be loud all the time instead of just 30 sec after startup?

Old April 5th, 2015, 10:18 AM   #4

Yeah, it would start ticking after about the first fan cycle and stay that way. Not sure. I suggested the valve adjustment to help eliminate one possibility. Any way to post a video clip?
Old April 5th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #5

I noticed a sound from my car after turning it off. Only noticed this after installing full custom exhaust. It only makes this kind of ticking/popping sound for a minute after car shuts down. Notice same noise from bmw's, etc.
brian6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #6

I will get a video
Old April 5th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #7

The stock cats are thick cast iron and shield a lot of the noise that is produced. The pcds and HFPCs are thinner stainless, which allows more of the sound to escape.
simione is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #8

Good point, never thought about the thickness of the 304 ss materials used on these
Old April 5th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by simione View Post
The stock cats are thick cast iron and shield a lot of the noise that is produced. The pcds and HFPCs are thinner stainless, which allows more of the sound to escape.
Agree here. I did PCD's, and ported heads at once and thought something was wrong. It got much louder.

NA.... Till I Spray
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #10

my video isnt capturing the sound very well at all. dunno what to think here, hopefully its nothing damaging. car sounds like it has cams for the first 30 sec, then just goes away and sounds normal.

also if i give it a little rev during this "loud ticking" time period the sound goes away?
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07J30 View Post
my video isnt capturing the sound very well at all. dunno what to think here, hopefully its nothing damaging. car sounds like it has cams for the first 30 sec, then just goes away and sounds normal.

also if i give it a little rev during this "loud ticking" time period the sound goes away?
The Ecu is programmed to actually misfire the motor to aid in getting the catalytic converters up to operating temperature. The reason you didn't hear it before is because the cats are cast iron and thick. What you're hearing is normal
07J30 likes this.
simione is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in