Looking for The best set up for a cutout w least rasp - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #1

Looking for The best set up for a cutout w least rasp

Alright so I too am trying to go with the sleeper cutout idea. I purchased the rv6 pcds and the v3 jpipe and a dmh 2.5" cutout. I had originally installed the pcds with the stock j pipe and the car had no rasp. Then when I put the v3 jpipe on I got a ton of rasp from 3k-4k. It's unbearable. I sound like a ricer in those rpms. I haven't bothered installing the cutout yet because I am so undecided on what to do. Do I sell the v3 and get the xlr8 or atlp j pipe? Richie told me to install a resonator but I don't know if I should put it before the cutout for fear it might defeat the purpose of the straight pipe or after the cutout which I also fear the rasp will return when the cutout is open. I am also debating doing the full 3" j pipe collector and 3" cutout but I think it will make the car sound farty and I believe the 2.5" will sound a lot better. I'm at a toss up. I really want to do the cutout hands down but I want good gains and a good sound with no rasp. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to research this but not many people have gone the cutout route so little is known.
7.5GenV66MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #2

See below for my cutout vids. I went with the 3" from DMH. I don't think it sounds farty at all, but it's definitely raspy. Think about it; the exhaust is completely straight through with. I obstructions. I think it sounds BOSS AS ****....but I may be biased

http://youtu.be/UXP0tFLie8w

http://youtu.be/_cF6M_npuLE
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #3
The Jester

Any pcd or hfpc? Or just the pipe and cutout.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 8th, 2015, 08:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
Any pcd or hfpc? Or just the pipe and cutout.
Me? I'm full bolt on.
Old April 8th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #5

He has pcd and I agree with you on the rv6 j pipe being raspy I have factory pre cats still and if the car is cold idk why but its raspy. I have rv6 j pipe and 3 inchbexhaust to magnaflows no res
05accord6spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #6

LOL, I think the thread subject title is hilarious.

Oxymoron = "No rasp, Cutout"

Sorry bud, not ragging on you. Just saying even by deleting just PCD's you get rasp, let along the whole damn exhaust
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #7

http://youtu.be/_cF6M_npuLE <<<<< You run through gears like a mad man.
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #8

Well yes there isn't any way around rasp for a cut out ha, straight pipe/cut out is the same deal both ways, its basically no exhaust.
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:24 PM   #9
SFL AV6

Really ???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jiga21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #10

I'm The jpipe has nothing to w rasp...so buying an atlp or xlr8 v2 will b a waste. The rasp comes from a combination of pcd and whatever CBE you have.

I have the rv6 v3 jpipe. Originally paired w stock precats and stock CBE =no rasp
Then I added Borla CBE still no difference in rasp
Then I added HFPC and my car sounds almost like it did with stock precats(no rasp)

I'm confident even if I went w pcd instead of hfpc the borla would quell the rasp effectively bc it's a quiet exhaust.

So you either buy a quiet exhaust and pcd or a loud exhaust and hfpc. I think if I added a cutout rite now it would rasp but not terribly, bc of the hfpc. Honestly I don't know y ppl go for pcd over hfpc, sure it's cheaper, but (for me atleast) the rasp and 1-2 hp (peak) the pcd offered over the hfpc wasn't worth the rasp.

You got rasp after adding the rv6 jpipe bc it took away the last cat that was killing the rasp, i think ur best bet would b buy hfpc, sell pcd, and install cutout.
Old April 8th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #11

drop a resonator in and call it a day
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #12

I would go with the high flow cats but honestly from what I have seen from building other cars (mainly 4 cylinder turbos) the high flow cats present barely any gain. There's more then just a 1-2 hp difference between a high flow cat and no cat. I've seen 10hp-15hp difference in some exhausts comparing high flow cats and no cats. Honestly the stock cats on the accord are almost as good as the high flow cats IMO. You're basically just paying $600 for cats wrapped in stainless steel if you buy the cats alone from rv6. So without the hfpcs being an option which j pipe would help produce the LEAST amount of rasp with the pcds? I'm running the stock catback right now and if that isn't the most quiet option for a catback then idk what is. So why do I have so much rasp? When I rev it sounds good until the revs drop down and then it sounds like a tin can being rattled down the road at 4000-3000rpm and then again briefly at 2500rpm. Sonnick I live in Rochester ny and I would be very interested to know who you went to for your setup. You claim it's raspy as hell but your rasp is nothing compared to the rasp I am experiencing. Atleast I cannot tell from your videos. Maybe in person it's much different? especially since I have the stock catback to quiet all noise except the rasp? I would do a performance catback but I need to be able to be almost quiet for when I come home at 1-2am in the morning thus the cutout is the best option for me. Jiga I'd also like your input seeing as you've minimized the rasp as well. Maybe it's just the open cutouts drowning out the rasp? I just want to make sure I get things right before I waste a Saturday and money on something that's going to sound like ****. forgive me if I sound like an idiot for wanting a good exhaust tone.
Old April 8th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #13

high flow cats are 300 cell, stock accord is 900.

Pipe diameter is also different stock is 1.75 Rv6 is 2.25in. I measured it all on my build thread.

get a borla exhuast. I wish I got one instead of a magnaflow. The Drone!!!
Old April 8th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #14

$300 for high flows? where are you looking? I just checked rv6 and they want 560 for hfpcs. glad I bought the jpipe on black Friday for 350. it's now 450 lol saved a 100! go me. but seriously though how would the borla solve my rasp problem? the stock cb is even quieter.
Old April 8th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #15

I get no drone what rpm range do you guys cruse at.
Old April 8th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #16

300 cell meaning the opening are 3x bigger compared to 900 cell. And the hp diff is minimal. There is a thread on azine of a guy who dynod pcd and then hfpc. (Allowed for ecu learning etc) and the diff was u guessed it...1-2 hp more w pcd...w a loss of 5+ torque. I researched a ton before landing on hfpc.
Old April 8th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #17

Unless I'm racing the car I try to keep it around 2000rpm. she's silent as a mouse. Quick downshift and everyone loses their mind! hahaha
Old April 8th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #18

07j30 God damnit now my head hurts. ughhhh I can't win with this car idk what to do especially since I've got the j37 IM and TB on the way. I feel for every piece of information I find on this car I find another that contradicts it and proposes a new path. lol so many options
Old April 8th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #19

sell the car and buy a faster one. Problem solved

I got my RV6 v3 HFPC for 300 second hand ;p.

high flow cats to prevent cancer Yo!
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #20

You can't conpare a boosted 4 cyl to an all motor V6. PCDs will produce a few more HP, but not 10-15. You may see another 3-4whp up top, but that's with other complimenting mods. HFPCs are fine on an all motor car.
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #21

yea but isn't 3-4whp is like 7-10 crank hp? I see what you're saying though. it's probably almost unnoticeable.
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5GenV66MT View Post
07j30 God damnit now my head hurts. ughhhh I can't win with this car idk what to do especially since I've got the j37 IM and TB on the way. I feel for every piece of information I find on this car I find another that contradicts it and proposes a new path. lol so many options
There isn't much to think about, pcd/hfpc, j pipe, 3 inch exhaust/cutout, ported runners, 3.7 Tb and IM, 4 inch SRI/CAI then wait for engine to die get a j32 and do something with the heads and cams then get a tune.

Last edited by 05accord6spd; April 8th, 2015 at 07:12 PM..
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:20 PM   #23

hmmm if I go with the hfpc's I could sell my stock cats without fear of having to put the cats back on if I ever want to sell the car..... then I could do the cutout all day with the rv6 jpipe and have no rasp issue whatsoever right? how much do used cats typically sell for? yah I've already began looking for used j32a3 engines. I can store it in the backroom at my shop and slowly build it until I'm ready to do the timing belt on the j30a5. then i'll just pull the motor and drop in the 32......
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #24

Im going to be doing pcds and just get a resonator no reason to spend 200$ more when a 60$ res will stop most of the rasp. The price of pcds vs hfpc will pay for your e cut out.
And then if you don't like the pcds you can sell them to me

Last edited by 05accord6spd; April 8th, 2015 at 07:25 PM..
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #25

haha I already have the cutout though. So I'm wondering if I sell the pcds and stock cats and stock j pipe if it will make up for the hfpcs.
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:30 PM   #26

Dibs on your pcds lol
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05accord6spd View Post
Dibs on your pcds lol
Sonnick and 07J30 like this.
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #28

Yeah slick move
State.Of.Prime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #29

would a 2.5" resonator between the 2.5" jpipe and 2.5" cutout slow down the exhaust gas velocity any?
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #30

I think it comes down to how sensitive to rasp u r...if ur real sensitive the cutout is a bad idea no matter what. The hfpc will cut rasp better than resonator IMO but wont eliminate it with the cutout open and bypassing the rest of the exhaust.

My current setup is mostly intake noise at wot...I got a complete pnp intake setup in the works....can't wait!
Sonnick likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in