4" intake construction - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2015, 09:30 PM   #1

4" intake construction

hey guys so I've been collecting the parts for the j37 top swap (IM and TB) and I'm in the process of building the intake for it. I've been doing a good amount of research but I still have some questions.

1.) Has anyone tested the difference between the 4" sri and the 4" cold air intake? I live in Rochester ny and unless the gains are seriously significant I'd rather go the SRI route to prevent hydro locking. plus from what I've read the sri provides almost the same amount of airflow when moving as the cai does. Not to mention I have fog lamps and I really do not want to remove them so I fear the cold air will just be a waste without removing the fog light housing in front of where the cone would be.

2.) Do I have to relocate the battery for the 4" sri? how about for the 4" cai? I want to use an actual cone not the panty hose method.

This is the website I am using to order all of my parts.
Aluminum Pipe
I have measured the outside diameter of the TB and it's 83mm = 3.2667 inches so I would want the 3.25"-4.0" coupler correct?
I would really like to stay away from relocating the battery so if anyone could give me their thoughts/opinions that would be great. This site offers all of the equipment needed to build almost any intake I just need to know which parts to purchase for sure and I'm having trouble second guessing myself. I'm on a budget seeing as I'm a college student so I don't want to order more parts then I have to. Thanks I appreciate the input in advance guys.
7.5GenV66MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2015, 09:58 PM   #2

From what I can tell those pipes look to be to short. If im reading the diagram correctly.
05accord6spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:40 PM   #3

sorry I had the wrong page of the website. here's the page with all the aluminum pipes. I'm also trying to figure out how big of a cone I should go with.

Aluminum Pipes

the website is called silicone intakes. be careful I feel like it'd be easy to spend a ton of money on there LOL
7.5GenV66MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5GenV66MT View Post
I live in Rochester ny and unless the gains are seriously significant I'd rather go the SRI route to prevent hydro locking.
How often do you drive in 6"+ of water standing on the road?

That should answer your fear of hydro locking.
200366HFP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:19 AM   #5
Calm like a bomb

Just did my own convertible CAI with a bypass valve that can be removed and slip the filter on there for SRI. Pretty much everyone who has switched from CAI to SRI said they didn't notice any differences. The only difference I can see between the two, which is negated by the members who have done both with the same results is the temp of the air entering the intake. It will absolutely be colder air on a CAI but apparently that doesn't seem to matter much. Also the density and specific gravity of water is such that you would need to submerge your filter and stand on the gas pedal to create enough vacuum to move large enough volumes of water into your engine. I would recommend you buy a hydro-shield from injen (or wherever) and a bypass valve if youre that worried about hydro-lock. Cut the piping at an intelligent location and couple the piping together with the BPV. Run that with the hydro-shield and you've got no worries. As far as living in Rochester, that is why I recommend cutting the piping. In the winter you can replace the BPV with the cone filter and hydro-shield or pre filter. Good luck man!
StevilKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2015, 04:22 AM   #6

Well ill need another track day. Thus far [email protected] with SRI now that i have the 4" CAI lets see if my 100mph increases. Thats a good indication on power gains
Grand_hustle17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2015, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
How often do you drive in 6"+ of water standing on the road?

That should answer your fear of hydro locking.
in miami, Theres deff a good chance haha, but this is true, i have seen people in florida with CAI forever with no issues.
nismoasfuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17 View Post
Well ill need another track day. Thus far [email protected] with SRI now that i have the 4" CAI lets see if my 100mph increases. Thats a good indication on power gains
PM me the dates and what track you went to.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2015, 02:40 AM   #9

Pm'd
Grand_hustle17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #10
The Jester

I ordered from that same site, and what I ended up doing was just relocating the battery. It'll put the filter just about exactly where the battery is. However if you wanted to get tricky on it, you could get a 45 and a 90 piece, 2 couplers, and then try to squeeze it behind the battery in the fender.

I will say that the biggest struggle is not hitting the fuse box. i'd recommend a good size coupler for it coming straight off of the TB, so that it can have the like 10* flex it needs to avoid the fuse box, then have a length of straight pipe, cut the 45* down so it makes just enough bend to get the piping around the battery, and then use the 90 and cut it to whatever length you need it to to get the filter in the right location.

Good thing about those 90s is if you start to cut off lengths of them at the right place and angle, you can make them 78*, 63*, whatever you want or need since the radius is so large.

Otherwise you can try just using the 2' 90*, a coupler for the TB, and then cut the other end of the 90 as needed to get the angle correct, and then with that spare straight tube that you just cut off to get the angle correct, put a coupler on that newly cut angled section, use your straight pipe and cut it down so you can get the filter where you want it behind the battery, then attach filter to that straight pipe section.

Also there is a snap clip location where I believe some wires go that is just under the fuse box, attached to a small piece of sheet metal. If you pop that snap clip out, then use the hole on there to ziptie the piping in place, then ziptie the wiring to the hole, you can get your ghetto intake mounted and locked in place without any extra bolts or fixtures.

The more you know
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2015, 04:25 PM   #11

I'm runnin a custom 4in intake. You'll need a 90degree pipe, a straight pipe, 4in to 3in reducer for throttle body and a 45 degree 4in coupler. Modify the straight pipe to whatever length you want it be. That'll determine how low it sits in that area. It was a tight fit but its in there. Nice deep "growl" when at wide open throttle. I was able to leave my fog lights in.
Cakes85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2015, 04:27 PM   #12

There's a DIY thread on here somewhere that I used to make my 4" CAI from eBay parts. It was cheap and worked perfect. I'd search but I'm on mobile.
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2015, 04:38 PM   #13

I got all my parts off the website siliconintakes. I used an AEM dry flow filter to make it complete.
Cakes85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in