K-Tuned billet shifter review - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By invsblduck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2015, 10:06 PM   #1
SK8 OR DIE

K-Tuned billet shifter review

Manufacturer page: TSX / Accord Shifter

--------------------------------
NOTE: Review will be biased since I've been using Bardi's custom short-shifter for the last 3 years, which is AMAZING. (Review here.)
--------------------------------

So first off, it's an absolutely gorgeous construction and clearly-sexy piece of hardware...

(non-K-Tuned lever extension attached)

Secondly, it weighs in at a whopping 4 lbs 7oz.... that's two pounds heavier than stock box with my current lever (weighing only 2 lbs. 8oz)...

With my Skunk2 shift knob installed, total comes in at 5 lbs 6 oz.

Getting to it:

PROS:
  • Solid feel and construction (radically different than stock, but similar to Bardi's)
  • Fully adjustable at multiple points (lever height, throw, box length, etc)
  • Higher spring rate on the sidearm (requires more force to move along horizontal plane of 'H' pattern)
  • Just freakin' looks bad ass in the car
  • Probably feels better racing...which won't be till next year for me!

CONS:
  • Higher spring rate on the sidearm ; )
    • MEGA tendency to MIS-shift when going from 5th->6th
  • Additional weight
  • More slop than I would like in the throwout bearing... but upon closer inspection, I guess it's engineered this way. Not sure why. Probably has to be some amount of play in it, is all I can guess.
  • Possibly sub-optimal angles for the telescoping poles compared to OEM (or Bardi's obsessive engineering)? No clue, just speculating a possibility until I use it more.

Throw:

I adjusted the throw to exactly where Bardi designed his, since he put a lot of thought into the optimal angle for usage vs. performance (see here and especially here):

[Mis-]Shifting:

Shifting feels great (but I'm accustomed to a true short-throw shifter already, otherwise I would be flying off the page about how ridiculously awesome it is...).

The billet 6061 aluminum and stainless steel have got to be more solid compared to the stock plastic box. Whether this shows entirely or not while driving around town, I'm uncertain so far. I sure can't wait to slam it around on a track one day though

Now a word about mis-shifts....

I'm not the mis-shifter type.
We've all done it at some point, for whatever reason.

This shifter has caused me to go from 5th gear to 4th gear by accident more times than not. I think because the spring rate on the sidearm is higher than what we're used to. So you really have to pay attention and mean it when shifting to 6th. Because of that, I don't know if it's worth the risk.

That said, this was designed for actual racecar drivers--people who aren't shifting stock transmissions and have different needs (I will read this years from now and feel embarrassed after gaining experience).

Installed pics:

(sorry, low light / phone pics)

(those are all with the lever height about a 1/4" off the lowest setting... ie., the knob will be lower when you slide the lever down.)

FWIW, here are pics with a lever extension (haters gonna hate!).......but this just made the mis-shifts worse. Even though I love idea and the ease of shifting otherwise (because of the additional leverage and proximity to the wheel):

Wish we could get a real racing lever, like this one!

I'm stoked! Not sure if it's convenient for the casual DD, but IMO once you use a short shifter like this, you won't want to go back!!! This thing is pure Terminator...clicky, mechanical shifts!
K3N likes this.

Last edited by invsblduck; May 16th, 2015 at 02:37 AM.. Reason: added another link
invsblduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2015, 07:09 AM   #2
K3N
Ken

Great post! I was considering this but kind of put out on the back burner due to how overly crisp or sharp it could have been. Your review pretty much sums it up for me. I really like the ease of the stock shifter for everyday driving but I've always felt it could use a little improvement. I think I'll stick with Bardi's shifter as a happy medium.

Thank you for the post!
K3N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 16th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #3
SK8 OR DIE

^ Np, glad you found it useful.

UPDATE: After another day of driving I'm realizing how solid it feels. That base is STURDY!

Old May 22nd, 2015, 05:21 PM   #4

My friend installed this on his RSX, I could've sworn he installed it wrong because of how hard it was to throw it into gears. His bushings/cable didn't make things better. He loves it though, I love short shifters but it didn't do it for me at all.
nismoasfuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #5

great post!
GreatRow23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in