DIY turbo idea for cheap? lol - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thisaznboi88
  • 1 Post By screaminz28

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #1

DIY turbo idea for cheap? lol

I have too much time on my hands since school is out. So decided to build a turbo kit for fun for cheap. lol

Just a though. I was thinking about build my own turbo kit from a variety of parts to decrease the cost since the cheapest used J&R kit is around 5000 bucks used.

Here my thought. Using richie PCD (370) from the head down I would cut up this ebay downpipe from the gen6 accord/CL and that would be my manifold.

So cut this mofo and use the flanges to weld onto the PCD. Will need to cut, bend, and weld the exhaust down pipe since it doesn't have a spot for the external wastegate to exit.

~179

T3 T03 Stainless Turbo Charger Manifold Downpipe Exhaust 98 02 Accord V6 CG J30A | eBay

From there the turbo would be a Borg Warner S362SX ~800
or a turbonetics T-62 ~795

Borgwarner Airwerks FMW S300SX3 62 S362 S300 88 A R Open Scroll Turbo | eBay

Turbonetics T4 62 1 Turbo Journal Bearing Free Shipping | eBay

intercooler would be this and you gotta play Tetris to get it all to fit. ~197

Full Aluminum Bolt on Turbo Intercooler Red Piping Kit for 98 02 Accord V6 CG | eBay

Blow off valve pipe connector thingy ~13

Type s RS 2 5" Aluminum Turbo Blow Off Valve Flange Pipe Pipping Adaptor Silver | eBay

HKS blow off valve ~84

HKS Universal Black Blow Off Valve BOV SQV SSQV 3 III OE Free USA Shipping | eBay

AEM boost controller ~320

Aem Tru Boost Gauge Type Electronic Turbo Boost Controller P N 30 4350 | eBay

or AEM boost controller with AFR ~470

Aem 2 Gauges Combo Uego Wideband A F Ratio EBC Turbo Tru Boost Controller | eBay

For the turbo oil lines and what not you can go to Jegs.com or similar site to pick up the remainer.

RDX 410cc injectors ~350 bucks

Xenocron Tuning: RDX 410cc Injector Set of 6

total 2313 so far not including msc stuff like 2 step colder ark plugs, oil cooling line, hondata flashpro, oil bung for drainage, etc.

or you can say F it and get a used twin turbo set up. for around 3k and be limited to 350whp from this dude

Twin Turbo set up, Wilwood BBK, sub enclosure - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
accord325 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #2
Got LSD?

DIY takes along time to do since everything is custom. Trust me! You will save a ton of money though. The key for me was working with tig welders so everytime i needed a pipe cut and welded i took it to work.

You could cut out the boost controller and just use the 5-9 psi waste gate spring to also reduce some cost.

Just remember there are numerous hidden cost in this build...I know you know that since you are not new to custom work.

On a side note: You dont think you could get more then 350whp out of sunnys twin setup? Cant remember the boost setting he was on, but i am sure you can crank it up. I run 13.5, single turbo, on pump gas. I do run meth spray <9psi as a fail safe.

DO IT!!
00suprchrgdAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 28th, 2015, 10:34 AM   #3

I also recall Sunnys set up running super low, like 4psi
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 28th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #4

^ he said 9 on his 400whp thread
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 28th, 2015, 02:52 PM   #5

thank you for the suggestion. I live in Charleston, WV and there is no customer fabricator that are willing to work with imports. Everywhere here pro american, Rolling coal, and etc. So I am just trying to get the turbo fitted for now and when I return back to Cali have the manifold piping made with stronger material. Power goal is 350-400whp. I am currently at 253whp N/A. My Compression ratio is around 9.6 instead of 10 due to the tl-s heads 89mm combustion chamber vs the accord 86mm bore. I want to run 6 psi or less just because I dont know how much power the stock j30a5 rods, piston, sleeve, and ring land could handle. So low boost and broad power band is my goal not peak numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00suprchrgdAV6 View Post
DIY takes along time to do since everything is custom. Trust me! You will save a ton of money though. The key for me was working with tig welders so everytime i needed a pipe cut and welded i took it to work.

You could cut out the boost controller and just use the 5-9 psi waste gate spring to also reduce some cost.

Just remember there are numerous hidden cost in this build...I know you know that since you are not new to custom work.

On a side note: You dont think you could get more then 350whp out of sunnys twin setup? Cant remember the boost setting he was on, but i am sure you can crank it up. I run 13.5, single turbo, on pump gas. I do run meth spray <9psi as a fail safe.

DO IT!!
Old May 29th, 2015, 09:34 AM   #6
The Jester

Just try muffler shops, collision repair, stuff like that. They're usually more forgiving on what it is they do.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 30th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #7

got a few more ideas from the people on acurazine DIY turbo idea for cheap? lol - AcuraZine Community
Old May 30th, 2015, 09:48 AM   #8
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

^ man, I love reading posts by I Hate Cars - so informative and clear.

Well, I'm not into Forced Induction. But, it makes sense to just buy Sunni's set up since it is bolt on ready and he is asking OBO for it.

He may still be in Atlanta, GA so, shipping it to West VA should be fairly cheap.

You would either have a turbo for back-up, or sell the spare to make some money back...and he is throwing in a bunch of good stuff with that sale. Sunni's sale also comes with a FIC, you could sell that and make some money back too, etc.
WHEEELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 30th, 2015, 01:03 PM   #9

That is true that it come a with all sorts of goodies, but I don't like how his Dyno graph looks. The power just can't carry all the way to red line, and my car has a higher redline. The power of the twins turbo set up looks kinda off compared to a single gt35 turbo. And kiet also said the turbo was undersized for the setup on one of the thread. It should have been gt28 or gt30.

I am pretty sure I can piece out a kit for around for about 2-3k

Last edited by thisaznboi88; May 30th, 2015 at 01:16 PM..
Old May 30th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #10

Wait - I thought he was running GT28s - wasn't it? Twin GT28s should make good power at 10 - 15 psi
screaminz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 30th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #11

He made 350whp. I'll post the link in a bit. Gt25 is still capped at 350whp, and it was around 11psi.
Old May 30th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #12

The compressor map for a GT2560 looks to be the sweet spot for twins if you want to make around 400 WHP, but it would be at about 13psi. That jives with what he made if it was 350 whp at 11psi. That extra couple lbs would nearly get you to 400whp.

I'm using some guestimates for our motor as well - I think our VE is above 92%, and may even be close to 98% - but I'd rather err on the side of caution. I also have to guess BSFC - so I used .55 since that's pretty common. I was conservative on a/f as well at 11:1
thisaznboi88 likes this.
screaminz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 30th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #13

I think this was the dyno chart. Its not too bad now that I take a look at it again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in