03 v6 6speed strange engine noise please help! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #1

03 v6 6speed strange engine noise please help!

Hey all. New to the group. I own a few Hondas the accord being my latest purchase. Cost me a damn fortune for clutch pressure plate and flywheel but that's besides the point. I had a knocking and I am praying it is not a rod bearing. The noise is not there at idle but rather 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm. It will be really bad if I'm say at 2000 and constantly rev the throttle to 2300 and let it fall and rev again. It is very hard to explain. I done some reading. I don't think it is my timing belt tensioner. I don't think it's a rib bearings because at lower Rpms it don't occur and it doesn't knock at idle . 3k or a little over crushing it is a constant knock/ rattle. So anybody have some insight
cjw_89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #2

Have your valves been adjusted? Supposed to do them with the timing belt. Sounds more like a tick than a knock unless they are really, really bad.

Did the sound start when you had the clutch work done?

The sound only exists between 2 and 3k, not above?
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 8th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Honda enthusiast

03's are 12 years old now could be any of several things. Mileage? The recent work is something to consider, mistakes are made. Engine mounts make a ton of noise when they go bad. Doing what you describe in a 6-6 will jolt you all around and make alot of noise and eventually break something. It's good if you're doing diag but will put extra stress on your drivetrain and mounts. My guess is a mount or complaints bushing or both or a rod knock.
michaellowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 8th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #4
J30 LSD

if you haven't had an oil change in awhile, drain and collect a sample to send off for analysis. I don't believe it costs very much to have your oil inspected for any possible signs of failing rod/crank bearings.
flylow2cre8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 8th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #5

Post up a vid if you can
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 10th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #6

Yes post a video just got my clutch and flywheel replaced as well and I have a grinding noise now when cold up to 3krpms and weird noise when rpms drop from 3 to 2.5 in-between there as well even when warm. The grinding is rpm based so I dont think its my clutch idk. Also don't have and notification lights on.

Last edited by 05accord6spd; September 10th, 2015 at 11:49 AM..
05accord6spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 10th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #7

Might be wheel bearing noise. No idea what it is really.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 17th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #8

it is not a wheel bearing. It is not a con rod. It dear exist at idle. 2000-3300 is bad. I think the engine gets to a certain rpm and the belt has some slack and the tensioner begins to surge and rattle. Every video I listen to people have the noise at idle. Mine don't occur at idle. If it was a con rod it would be at all rpms and would get worse as idle increases
cjw_89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 27th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjw_89 View Post
Hey all. New to the group. I own a few Hondas the accord being my latest purchase. Cost me a damn fortune for clutch pressure plate and flywheel but that's besides the point. I had a knocking and I am praying it is not a rod bearing. The noise is not there at idle but rather 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm. It will be really bad if I'm say at 2000 and constantly rev the throttle to 2300 and let it fall and rev again. It is very hard to explain. I done some reading. I don't think it is my timing belt tensioner. I don't think it's a rib bearings because at lower Rpms it don't occur and it doesn't knock at idle . 3k or a little over crushing it is a constant knock/ rattle. So anybody have some insight
I just bought a 2006 accord v6 6mt, and have the EXACT same isue you are talking about. Whats even more strange, I just had to replace the fly wheel as well. I can say mine is close to 300k, and my mechanic told me it's piston slap... my mechanic recommened looking for a j32 swap. Not to go totally off topic here, but does a "j32" fit an 06 6mt accord, if so which engine code etc? Sorry, as stated, just bought this coupe, and this is my fist v6 6mt accord, and its been a hand full. thnx floks
accordlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 27th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #10

^^^ to also point out, it was making this weird "ticking noise", before I replaced the flywheel or anything on the car, the ticking noise becomes worst as the car gets up to operating tempratures, almost like a knock
Old September 27th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #11

Do a valve adjustment?

But if you want to do a swap.j32a3 is a direct drop in
Old September 30th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
Do a valve adjustment?

But if you want to do a swap.j32a3 is a direct drop in
ok, great, thanks. Do I need the TL ecu?
Old September 30th, 2015, 10:45 AM   #13

you can get away with the stock ecu, but it will be better if you get hondata
Old October 2nd, 2015, 07:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
you can get away with the stock ecu, but it will be better if you get hondata
OK, so this is aftermarket correct? I live in guelph, ON. Could you recommend a spot to get ahold of this? thanks.
Old October 15th, 2015, 07:58 AM   #15

question to you guys, I just swapped in a j32a3 into my 06 6 speed coupe. ( ill put up pics when I can). can a stock auto tl ecu work, or am I better off getting my ecu re-flashed?
thanks

j32a3
Old October 18th, 2015, 11:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordlyfe View Post
question to you guys, I just swapped in a j32a3 into my 06 6 speed coupe. ( ill put up pics when I can). can a stock auto tl ecu work, or am I better off getting my ecu re-flashed?
thanks
The Accord ECU cannot be reflashed. I believe the auto TL ECU's can work after a reflash but to do the reflash to your accord you need to do a few things.

Hondata provides lots of info covering this on their site.
pa1nt13aller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2015, 12:31 PM   #17

you need an 07-08 ecu to do the flashpro. You also need to get the wiring harness and the canbus wiring to make it work. Lastly, you need to find a dealership that is willing and able to do the vinn and immobilizer reprogramming for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in