Brake Upgrade - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #1

Brake Upgrade

So my brakes are shot and I've been wanting to do the tl-s brembo brake upgrade but when I researched all the parts needed the price got to be a little higher then what I can spend right now with the j36 motor build I'm in the middle of. I found a set of calipers used for 450, 200x2 for the knuckles, 60x2 for the hubs, 30x2 for tie rods, and without even getting pads and rotors yet the bill was around $1000.
So since that's more then I can spend right now I've been looking for a nice set of cross drilled and slotted rotors with pads to fit the stock caliper. I tried searching the forums but I got all sorts of mixed reviews and unrelated conversations that had nothing to do with the topic of the thread. So I went on carid to see what was available for my 07 av6 and these are what I found. They're all name brands and I just wanted to double check and see if anyone has had any luck with these exact kits or what they might recommend.

Powerstops: PowerStop® - Honda Accord 2007 1-Click Street Warrior Z26 Drilled and Slotted Brake Kit

Hawk: Hawk® - Honda Accord 2007 Sector 27 Brake Kit

Stop Tech: StopTech® - Honda Accord 2007 Drilled Sport Brake Kit

I looked at the Brembo rotors on their site but I'm not sure what pads to get with them. I'm assuming any ceramic pad that fits the oem caliper will do...

I also wanted to know if you guys had any input on these PowerStop remanufactured calipers: PowerStop® - Honda Accord 2007 Performance Disc Brake Calipers
They're still single piston but would save me a lot of work to paint my calipers and make them look new/fancy but I probably won't get them because that'll be money towards my brembo upgrade next time my brakes are bad.

Thanks for your time guys. I have a track meet next Friday at Empire dragstrip that the entire Rochester car scene page on facebook (2000 members) are going to so I really want the accord to shine, kick ass, and represent the j series family so your guys input would be much appreciated.
7.5GenV66MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #2
J30 LSD

I would personally look to put funds away for a good BBK setup after the build. In the mean time, I would just keep turning the factory rotors and replace pads with Honda or an equivalent aftermarket.
flylow2cre8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 8th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #3

The factory rotors are shot. They have more heat cracks then GM has recalls and they're causing a big pulsation in the pedal. The Pads have decent life on them so i'm thinking the original owner who I bought the car from must have pad slapped it and they're the original rotors.

Old September 9th, 2015, 09:35 AM   #4
Carpe Diem

Why not go the RL caliper route?
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2015, 09:58 AM   #5
Sleeper

I want the rl calipers but I have a sedan. Ffs honda..
NvrDwn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #6

I went with these guys and have had many hard breaking sessions. I bought them off ebay though. The pads that came with them aren't great, but I still used them. I should be 30+K on the rotors and 10k+ on pads.

Brake Rotors | Performance | Pads | Ceramic | Metallic | Disc
items in ATL Performance Brake Rotors Brakes Auto Drilled Slotted New store on eBay!
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2015, 12:26 PM   #7

Why not stock size brembo blanks and quality pads? Diameter is only going to help if you are tracking the car. Im not sold on two pistons being that much better than the stock one piston calipers either.
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2015, 12:29 PM   #8
Sleeper

I have centric high carbon cryogenic rotors and hawk street/track pads and high temp break fluid. My breaks begin to over heat and start to shake the steering wheel at 80mph or faster.
Old September 9th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrDwn View Post
I want the rl calipers but I have a sedan. Ffs honda..
Bozos_si has rl calipers on his sedan, why can't you?

Last edited by 05accord6spd; September 9th, 2015 at 12:59 PM..
05accord6spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #10

Are you talking about braking once from 80 mph fading your brakes?

I'm on the autozone deluxe with high temp fluid. My fronts are slightly warped but they don't fade anything near that bad.

Are the sedan brakes that bad?
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2015, 01:12 PM   #11

Yup. i have RL calipers on my sedan. Also have the rear brake upgrade with pilot rotors.
bozos_si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #12

I swapped out all my brakes and put the ones from my v6 on the girlfriends 4 cylinder so she got an upgrade from the stock 4 cylinder as well. LOL.
Old September 9th, 2015, 01:14 PM   #13
Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBUS-AV6MT View Post
Are you talking about braking once from 80 mph fading your brakes?

I'm on the autozone deluxe with high temp fluid. My fronts are slightly warped but they don't fade anything near that bad.

Are the sedan brakes that bad?
It's not fading, just does that warp feeling when they get hot. They won't do it breaking from 60.

A sedan can't use those calipers unless they upgrade their rotors to the coupe size. The sedans are smaller and not as thick. Haha. Yeah whatever.

1/8th mile 9.06 @ 82.31
8's here I come.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 9th, 2015, 01:14 PM   #14
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozos_si View Post
Yup. i have RL calipers on my sedan. Also have the rear brake upgrade with pilot rotors.
I have the same setup as well.

Coupe or sedan, it doesn't matter.
Old September 9th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #15

What is needed for the rl caliper upgrade? Are they brembos? And are they 4 piston?
Old September 9th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #16
Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5GenV66MT View Post
What is needed for the rl caliper upgrade? Are they brembos? And are they 4 piston?
They are 2 piston and swap right onto a 6spd coupe. To my knowledge they will not swap onto a 6spd sedan because sedans have smaller rotors. Which means you'd have to buy the rotors and pads for the 6spd coupe as well.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

1/8th mile 9.06 @ 82.31
8's here I come.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 9th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #17

^ they are 4 piston calipers made by advan. You will need custom brackets to run RL calipers and the rotors are from a 350z nismo. I think they are 12.6inch.

If you want to go the OEM route. Do the legend GS caliper with stock size rotors. You get more initial bite and the pedal feel is like stock.

BBK feels way to soft since there is no upgrade for our master cylinder. You also have to consider will it fit under the rims. If you are on stock rim you will have to run 20mm spacer in the front thus adding to the cost.

Or your last opinion would be to stay with the stock brakes and have the rotors resurface and throw some Autozone ceramic pads on there. Also get a G2 caliper paint kit and some brass wire brush. That would be your cheapest route. Don't forget to regrease those sliding pins while you're down there
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #18

The RL bbk will fit sedan/coupes without any difference in parts.

You'll need
RL Calipers
Brackets
350Z Rotors (from any of the 350z's that came with brembo brakes)
Stainless Steel lines (if you want)
Pads

It's a pretty good upgrade when comparing it to other big companies, but I mean, in the end it'd be your call.

As far as the TL-S brembo's go, most have said that. You need the entire knuckle to run in. But i have read that some of the TSX guys have ran them without the knuckle. I believe they drilled a hole or made a hole bigger or something. Not 100% where but that was how it was done. Also, they had to run s2k rotors i think?
ikethegreat likes this.
757Accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #19
Sleeper

Yep got it way wrong lmao. There is something that was 2 piston from a 90's model that fits a 6spd coupe. I read it not long ago.
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrDwn View Post
Yep got it way wrong lmao. There is something that was 2 piston from a 90's model that fits a 6spd coupe. I read it not long ago.
legend GS calipers
Old September 9th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #21
The name is Z

Or you can do this equivalent to the Legend caliper swap: CR-V Dual Calipers Installed - Drive Accord Honda Forums
CrackerTeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #22

okay that pretty kool.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #23

What year rl? and I was under the impression the calipers bolted right up but now you're saying I need a custom bracket? what pads do I run and what about the backing plate?
I may just try to drill out the holes on the knuckle and try to do the tl s upgrade after all. The knuckles were what killed the idea for me because they are $200ish a piece.
So if I drill out the holes in the knuckle I can save myself the cost of 2 knuckles, both tie rod ends, and new hubs, correct? Also with the tls upgrade what is the issue with the backing plate? I'm on the 17" stock wheels so hopefully the calipers will fit. Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it.
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:13 AM   #24

Don't quote me on what to drill. I don't know where but I know there's some drilling involved for the TL-S brembo's. No bracket for those I believe. So don't go drilling or cutting lol

And i wanna say 05-12 RL calipers will work. Not too sure of the entire year frame, but mine are from a 06. You can buy brackets from fatfourcustoms or fastbrakes. And you can run any pad you want. OEM or aftermarket. I'm using the autozone Cmax pads and they're pretty good.

If you're gonna end up using the TL-S or RL calipers, you need at least the 17" TL wheels to clear them. Or you have to run spacers if you're on accord wheels.
757Accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:20 AM   #25
Carpe Diem

'05 RL calipers. Other years might work (you will have to check part numbers) but I know for sure '05 does. The caliper bracket can be bought from fastbrakes.com. The pads are normal RL pads. I run EBC Greenstff pads. Rotors are from a '05 350z with Brembos (12.8"). You can run up to 13" rotors but they would have to be custom made since I don't know of any OEM application that would work.

The thread that started it all: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...bk-option.html
bozos_si likes this.
Old September 11th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #26

I believe I used 07 maxima front rotors for my RL Calipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
'05 RL calipers. Other years might work (you will have to check part numbers) but I know for sure '05 does. The caliper bracket can be bought from fastbrakes.com. The pads are normal RL pads. I run EBC Greenstff pads. Rotors are from a '05 350z with Brembos (12.8"). You can run up to 13" rotors but they would have to be custom made since I don't know of any OEM application that would work.

The thread that started it all: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...bk-option.html
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #27
Carpe Diem

Those are only 12.6" I think?
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:50 AM   #28

That I dont know. I bought my bracket from fastbrakes and the maxima rotor is what they told me to use.
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #29

You are correct.

Fastbrakes adapter kit for the Honda Accord, Acura TSX, TL, CL using the RL 4 pot calipers. Requires a 12.6" rotor.
This adapter kit will allow the installation of 12.6" rotors with factory Acura RL 4 piston calipers. 17" OR LARGER WHEELS REQUIRED.
Old May 29th, 2017, 03:21 PM   #30

Did anyone try the RL caliper/Maxima rotor Fastbrakes conversion on a 2007 Accord 4 Dr. Do the stock 2007 17" Accord wheels clear the calipers without spacers?
stevenvoehl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in