J32 02 TL Type S 6 speed tranny going into my 06 Accord coupe auto - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By CBUS-AV6MT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2015, 01:41 AM   #1

J32 02 TL Type S 6 speed tranny going into my 06 Accord coupe auto

Hey guys, I've been wanting to convert my autotragic 5 speed tranny to a 6 speed for some time now, and now that I feel it's reaching the end of it's life and I've found a good mechanic to do it I'm finally going to pull the trigger.

He's grabbing parts from an 02 TL Type S which was recently wrecked, only a little over 80k miles onit. He's already got the gauges and pedals from another 6 speed accord. Everything else is coming off the TL (tranny, ECU, wiring harness, engine mount, tranny mount, and axles) I jokingly said while you're at it why don't we just swap the entire engine. He thought I was crazy but then we both started to seriously consider it. What do you guys think? Should I go with the J32 swap? I'm still fairly new to the whole engine swap and transmission swap world for our J series engines, but I definitely want to learn. I've read a lot but I want to see what you guys think first hand. the whole job to swap just the tranny is about $1800. I'm sure it would be a little higher if I decided to swap the whole engine along with it. I guess my main concern would be, is this even possible if I did want to go through with it?
QuikJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2015, 06:26 AM   #2

You have a 7th gen? Im pretty certain the 02 TL type s tranny will not bolt up to your 7th gen engine. Unless you plan on swapping both engine and tranny over but there will be a lot of re wiring and such....I would recommend just putting the heads from a j32a2 on your j30a4/5 engine, and swapping the 6 speed over from a 04-06 tl or our accord 03-07.

Or just make it even more simple, swap the entire j32a3 engine over with its 6 speed tranny.
pa1nt13aller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2015, 06:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa1nt13aller View Post
You have a 7th gen? Im pretty certain the 02 TL type s tranny will not bolt up to your 7th gen engine. Unless you plan on swapping both engine and tranny over but there will be a lot of re wiring and such....I would recommend just putting the heads from a j32a2 on your j30a4/5 engine, and swapping the 6 speed over from a 04-06 tl or our accord 03-07.

Or just make it even more simple, swap the entire j32a3 engine over with its 6 speed tranny.
^ exactly, much easier option for you. it's harder to find, but a TL with a j32a3 matched to a 6mt would be alot less headaches.

j32a3
accordlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 16th, 2015, 09:04 AM   #4

I might've been wrong about that, I think my mechanic already shipped a 6 speed tranny from I'm hoping a 3rd gen TL so I get LSD too, but possibly another accord. I'm not too sure, I'll find out from him today. He's grabbing all those other parts from the 02 TL Type S like the wiring harness, ECU, mounts, and axles. This was his plan at least. Is that even possible? He said I might possibly lose VTEC with the tranny swap and I was not OK with that which is why an entire engine swap came into question.
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:34 AM   #5

shouldn't put j32a2 heads on j30a4/5 block the bore doesn't match.
Strath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2015, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strath View Post
shouldn't put j32a2 heads on j30a4/5 block the bore doesn't match.
You are correct on that whoops
pa1nt13aller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #7

Do you guys think I need that 02 TL for parts or is my mechanic wrong? He said the main reason he needs to grab parts from that TL is the wiring harness and ECU. Should I hold off and wait til he can find the right parts? How much work needs to be done for a full j32a2 swap?
I guess what I really want to know is, what would be my best option to get this tranny swap done? My mechanic told me himself he's not too experienced with these newer J series engines, mostly the older Honda b, h, and k series. He said he has a guy that is a Honda expert and does all the research and stuff for him so I didn't want to overload him with questions but at the same time I want to know everything that's going to be done to my car and I know the guys on this forum know their sh!t and don't mess around when it comes to these J series. So any advice is greatly appreciated thanks guys

Last edited by QuikJake; November 16th, 2015 at 08:55 PM..
Old November 16th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #8

For a 100% compatibility guarantee use parts from the 04-06 tl. Swapping to the j32a2 is going back a generation and will introduce more headache than it is worth.

If you want anything from the j32a2 grab the heads and put them on a block with matching bore (j32a3, j35a8, j35a4 I think) but this will require research to verify the valves clear the pistons as well as making sure the tranny you use mounts to your block.

There are tons of swap options for our cars. $2000 will get you a j32a3 drivetrain, 15ish HP through the power band, and LSD for almost no effort. Everything past that gets crazy expensive for relatively small gains in the tuning world.

EDIT:

I guess I can answer your question directly. I don't think the J32A2 ECU will work with the 7th gen engine. I'm not 100% confident, but very confident. If you swap to a J32A2 I'm not sure how the ecu/engine will play with the rest of the car. I'll fall back on my "more trouble than it is worth" statement abouve.

You can use a J32A3 ECU (manual or auto with a slight modification doesn't matter) but you will either need to repin or buy a premade hardness. This is one of the steps required for hondata tuning.

Here are the options for the 7th gen as well as I know them (we should make a sticky containing this info):

J32A3 engine/tranny from 04-06 TL: Direct drop in. Can run with stock ECU but runs better with matching ECU. 07/08 engines have a different transmission bolt pattern so avoid unless buying a matching tranny. Engines can be had for $400-1k depending on miles, transmissions are rarely below $1200ish.

J33 stroker build (stock block frankenstein with oem parts):
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...trokn-j33.html

J35A4 engine with stock Accord 6 speed or J32A3 6 speed: Cheap engine, torquey but top end suffers. Has the same bolt pattern as J30A4 and J32a3 04-06. Might need different accessories (starter?). Will need a tune or matching ECU.
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...p-7th-gen.html

J35A8 swap: engine from 05-08 RL or 07/08 TL-S and transmission from 07/08 TL-S. Engines range from $500-700 for a high mileage RL to $2500 for a low mileage TL-S engine. Tranny is the expensive bit...expect to pay $2k+ for one in good shape. Will need a matching ECU or a tune. I don't know about the accessories on this one. I'd assume starter and transmission mounts need replacement.
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...wap-j35a8.html

J36 stroker build: j32a3 block with frankenstein internals. Will need a tune.
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...91426-j36.html

J37 swap: J37A1 or J37A4 from 09-12(????) TL-S. Not many of these around so I don't know the details. Easily the most expensive swap/build of all the options as a lot of stuff needs replaced.
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...h-gen-av6.html

Personally I would only consider the J32A3 or the J35A8 swaps. The J35A4 needs headwork and cams to really come alive. The J33 and J36 are expensive as you should use a fresh block and new internals to build them correctly. The J37A1/4 swap is interesting but I dare you to look up engine prices.
Bobster and Achmiel like this.

Last edited by CBUS-AV6MT; November 16th, 2015 at 09:25 PM..
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #9

That is just the answer I was looking for thank you very much! And your right there should be a sticky for that, I think your post right there is good enough for a sticky in a new thread I'm gonna talk to my mechanic when he has the chance and maybe even print out this post haha. I think I might hold off and try to find a donor 04-06 TL MT because LSD is kinda a must have for me and I don't want to Frankenstein anything as I absolutely love my car and I want the cleanest install/swap possible. It's just hard to find these kinda parts here in Hawaii and shipping is a whole other thing that adds to the prices.
Old January 8th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #10

OK it's been awhile now and I have not been able to contact the mechanic who now has $900 cash of mine! I'm pretty mad but more worried about my car than that because it's starting to sound really bad. I ordered some new solid motor mounts on the 3rd they should be here any day now. I haven't driven her in over a week I just want to put on new motor mounts before I do anything else, I changed my oil about 2 weeks ago. I put on motor mounts before but they were cheap which explains why they only lasted about 2 years, also I only changed the front and side mounts, I didn't touch the rear mount or any tranny mounts. This time around I'm going to change all of them, except for the tranny mounts.
Old January 8th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #11

Lawyer up
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #12
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

The 6 speed manual was only in 2003 for the 2nd gen Acura's, not 2002. I hope that is a typo. It will bolt up to the 7th gen J30's. Bellhousing changed in Acura 07 models, Accord models I am not sure..

There may be some special wiring/repining required to ensure reverse lockout works(?) and maybe something else so the ECU does not go into Limp mode. That info may be hard to get...
WHEEELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 10th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #13
Honda enthusiast

$900 could buy a lot of motor mounts!!! Buy me a round trip ticket and I'll pimp slap that b!tch for you and take $900 worth of his sh!t plus my airfare
michaellowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 11th, 2016, 07:33 AM   #14
The Jester

curious as to how this turned out.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:53 AM   #15

If I could find this guy I'd get my money back real fast, no need for a lawyer. Something tells me I'm not the only guy he's hiding from though... I got a new job recently anyways, a better one I'm making more money now I should be able to buy a tranny myself and do the swap myself in no time.

SO just to clarify, The transmissions that will fit my 06 V6 coupe are
03-06 acura tl 6 speed
03 acura cl 6 speed
as far as manual trannsmissions go
and of course 03-07 Honda Accord 6 speed
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #16

I've got my eye on this right now
2003 Acura CL 3.2 type S 2D
Old January 25th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #17

I'm willing to give you a phone call to set everything straight regarding what will or will not work in your car. Let me know if you'd like to talk my PM'ing me your number. There is a lot of half baked information in this thread so far.
gerzand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2016, 03:24 PM   #18
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

^Talk to Gerzand. He knows so much more than us. I vouch for him. He knows his stuff.
WHEEELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #19

I'm grateful for that offer, I will take you up on it asap. PMing you now lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in