Fuel - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2016, 10:28 AM   #1

Fuel

What type of fuel does everyone use for their current application/build?

I was ignorant until recently about the diluting of gas with ethanol most major stations commit. I was always filling up with 91 octane provided by Holiday gas stations, unaware Im losing potential power since Im sure many know, ethanol has lower capable energy per whatever measurement you fancy. Was doing some research on fuel and whats around in the area and decided to go fill up on Shell 93 V power. What a difference it made. On sticky tires I sometimes spun 1st accelerating. After the new gas, I spin aggressively in 1st AND 2nd gear. Now I only get full traction in 3rd on good tires. It does make a difference, hugely noticeable to me, torque improved as well. At 7psi atm and man this thing just hauls! Go for the nonoxy/non-diluted fuel if its around!
pa1nt13aller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #2

Top Tier gas only for me, but it is hard to find good non ethanol mixed gas.

Exxon, Mobile, BP, Shell, costco, and etc.

Maybe you can do e85. It just sucks starting up the car in the winter.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2016, 11:32 AM   #3

I use Sunoco for the most part. Only 93 octane. This was what was in the car when Dom started tuning and he wanted me to stay consistent until tuning was complete. It's also what's convenient. As for ethanol blend, 99% of gas stations in CT uses 10% ethanol blends. They get tax breaks for it. NY has more options without ethanol.
Rich01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 26th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
Top Tier gas only for me, but it is hard to find good non ethanol mixed gas.

Exxon, Mobile, BP, Shell, costco, and etc.

Maybe you can do e85. It just sucks starting up the car in the winter.
Could do E85 but then I would definitely need an upgraded fuel system, im doing okay on stock surprisingly. Although the octane would sure be nice..
Old March 26th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #5

I have considered running 93 octane, but I have done nothing yet. The car is currently at just under 115k miles, and has always run regular. Is this just a direct swap? As in, can I just go to the pump and pump in 93 octane and have it run just fine, or should I do some sort of flush?

What's the process of swapping fuel like this?

EDIT: At 115k miles always on regular, is it even safe for me to consider 93 octane?
crkdslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2016, 04:56 PM   #6

paintballer (S/C), richie (J36), and myself (top end build, soon to be turbo) all run hondata. So we actually benefit from 93 octane
Old March 26th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
paintballer (S/C), richie (J36), and myself (top end build, soon to be turbo) all run hondata. So we actually benefit from 93 octane
I know that Carter ran 93 octane and he had the same setup I do with 140k miles. It's been a few months since I was in the car, but the seemed to enjoy running the fuel.

You're right though, I am still on stock block with Jpipe, exhaust, and nothing else.

Was that a fancy way of saying to just keep using regular?
Old March 26th, 2016, 05:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkdslider View Post
I know that Carter ran 93 octane and he had the same setup I do with 140k miles. It's been a few months since I was in the car, but the seemed to enjoy running the fuel.

You're right though, I am still on stock block with Jpipe, exhaust, and nothing else.

if it ain't broken don't fix it buddy save some $$$. 93 oct is a 0.50 cent premium for me over 87
crkdslider likes this.
Old March 26th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #9
Honda enthusiast

But let's not forget the Honda j30 engineer that said the ecu would adjust to allow a 10 hp increase if you use 91/93 octane premium.
crkdslider and pa1nt13aller like this.
michaellowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2016, 06:26 PM   #10

Quote:

if you have a stockish j30 i would stick to around 89 octane...im sure the higher compression j32a3 would make better use of 91
Old March 26th, 2016, 06:30 PM   #11

Me and rich should merge our builds lol. J36 bottom with built j35a8 heads supercharged @10psi...with Bisi stage 2 cams
Rich01 likes this.
Old March 26th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #12

Why not Twin charge J36 + camshaft + nitrous. = gg
Rich01 likes this.
Old March 26th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Why not Twin charge J36 + camshaft + nitrous. = gg
kaboom!
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:29 AM   #14

That might be a bit much for the "stock" j36 internals lol.

I did try out some VPower shell yesterday. I'm trying to sort out some gremlins I've been having where it takes 2 tries to start after sitting for around an hour.
pa1nt13aller likes this.
Old March 27th, 2016, 12:26 PM   #15

V power all day for me. I was told by a reasonably reliable source every shell station adds zero ethanol to thier vpower.
pa1nt13aller likes this.
Old March 27th, 2016, 12:30 PM   #16
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa1nt13aller View Post
if you have a stockish j30 i would stick to around 89 octane...im sure the higher compression j32a3 would make better use of 91
Yup, j32a3 stock would even benefit from 93. I agree on using 89 just to counteract the differences in gas types and quality on a j30. There's definitely power to be lost if you end up getting 10%Ethanol gas thats already only 87 octane, that has degraded or acts more like 85 octane.
Quote:
Me and rich should merge our builds lol. J36 bottom with built j35a8 heads supercharged @10psi...with Bisi stage 2 cams
That's a bit too much boom for our boom chambers. It could be done much closer to that 10psi mark if the bisi cams were scrapped from that combo, and replaced with using CL-s pistons. Apparently those things are incredibly boost proof for stock pistons, and drop the compression a good bit (1 or 0.5, iforget)
Use a slightly smaller SC pulley to get something like 4 psi at peak, get a tinyish turbo to make around 4 psi just after the SC peak, should combine to close to 10 with much less boost heat.
pa1nt13aller likes this.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich01 View Post
That might be a bit much for the "stock" j36 internals lol.

I did try out some VPower shell yesterday. I'm trying to sort out some gremlins I've been having where it takes 2 tries to start after sitting for around an hour.
uh oh....rough start up? If so keep an eye and nose on that dipstick every so often. Hopefully not leaky head gasket.
Old March 27th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #18

Quote:
uh oh....rough start up? If so keep an eye and nose on that dipstick every so often. Hopefully not leaky head gasket.
Doubt it, I do check my oil at least once every couple of weeks. The issue started before the build, but only noticed during the summer. I think it may be vapor lock by the fuel rail areas. It's hard to tell the frequency at which it happens because I don't do a lot of on/off with my car just to and from work so 2x a day with about 8hrs between.
Old March 27th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellowrider View Post
But let's not forget the Honda j30 engineer that said the ecu would adjust to allow a 10 hp increase if you use 91/93 octane premium.
Did an engineer actually say this? Time to do some research.
Quote:
I have a j30a5.

If I did decide to bump it up, is there a process I need to go through? Or should I just run it to empty and fill it up with 89? I'd be definitely willing to spend slightly more if there was a comment made for the ecu to allow a 10hp increase, but I'm skeptical of this comment.......

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old March 27th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #20
The Jester

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich01 View Post
Doubt it, I do check my oil at least once every couple of weeks. The issue started before the build, but only noticed during the summer. I think it may be vapor lock by the fuel rail areas. It's hard to tell the frequency at which it happens because I don't do a lot of on/off with my car just to and from work so 2x a day with about 8hrs between.
Might find a friend with a fresh battery (<6 months old) and get a test down with it. I know I had this issue for quite some time on a high quality battery that I had simply cycled too many times, so the amps weren't quite there to both get a spark and a crank simultaneously on the first hit. The crank action would take too many amps when coming off of cold, with the starter in a slightly more strained position, when the 4th moon of jupiter was aligned with the sunh, but the rest of the time it worked fine and powered a 2kwatt system.

RRunning a 0gauge line to the starter was a temporary patch, have seen similar effects when a ground was going out on a few friends cars (grounds melted a few weeks later due to current through a limited area)
Quote:
Did an engineer actually say this? Time to do some research.

I have a j30a5.

If I did decide to bump it up, is there a process I need to go through? Or should I just run it to empty and fill it up with 89? I'd be definitely willing to spend slightly more if there was a comment made for the ecu to allow a 10hp increase, but I'm skeptical of this comment.......

Some engineer at honda did, however it's been disproven back and forth for years. It's plausible if the engine was knocking at regular 87 octane, but most j30 engines do not. Environmental factors can of course effect this though.
Old March 27th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
Some engineer at honda did, however it's been disproven back and forth for years. It's plausible if the engine was knocking at regular 87 octane, but most j30 engines do not. Environmental factors can of course effect this though.
I've got the AZ summer coming my way.

I've looked into higher octane fuel, but I never seriously looked into it. All the research I've done was really just, as you said, back and forth talk so I don't know what to believe.

Old March 27th, 2016, 08:05 PM   #22
Honda enthusiast

The Accord V-6 ratings assume regular-grade fuel, and Honda will market it as a regular-fuel engine. But pssst it's good for another 10 hp and 10-plus lbs.-ft. on premium, acknowledges V-6 engineer Asaki.

Honda V-6 engineer Yasuaki Asaki
michaellowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2016, 08:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Might find a friend with a fresh battery (<6 months old) and get a test down with it. I know I had this issue for quite some time on a high quality battery that I had simply cycled too many times, so the amps weren't quite there to both get a spark and a crank simultaneously on the first hit. The crank action would take too many amps when coming off of cold, with the starter in a slightly more strained position, when the 4th moon of jupiter was aligned with the sunh, but the rest of the time it worked fine and powered a 2kwatt system.

RRunning a 0gauge line to the starter was a temporary patch, have seen similar effects when a ground was going out on a few friends cars (grounds melted a few weeks later due to current through a limited area)

Cranking really hasn't been an issue. In fact if I hold the key on it, it will start. I just don't like the engine turning over for that long without starting.
Old March 27th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #24
The Jester

Sounds precisely like what I was having happen.
Could be the injectors having issues with proper flow when cold, if it isn't spark.

Using 91 here personally, fry's gas. Pretty consistent gas, seems to always run the same so that's fine enough for me. Being on j32a3 even if it does have 10% ethanol (haven't looked it up) that wouldn't hurt. Anything to reduce detonation in 100*+ heat.
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:52 PM   #25

I run 93 that can have up to it think 10% ethanol... or is it 15%.... I'll be getting gas tomorrow. So I'll let you know what it is.
Atlas.46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #26
teamxxxracing

racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas.46 View Post
I run 93 that can have up to it think 10% ethanol... or is it 15%.... I'll be getting gas tomorrow. So I'll let you know what it is.
New York its up to 10% ethanol. At the track I will use 100 octane but only when iam down on fuel.
Atlas.46 likes this.
Richie[#4812]
ET racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #27

With my old j30 motor, I ran 87, partially because I knew the motor was being pulled lol.

With the j32a3, it has only seen 91 octane at local pioneer station.

j32a3
accordlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #28

Quote:
What type of fuel does everyone use for their current application/build?

I was ignorant until recently about the diluting of gas with ethanol most major stations commit. I was always filling up with 91 octane provided by Holiday gas stations, unaware Im losing potential power since Im sure many know, ethanol has lower capable energy per whatever measurement you fancy. Was doing some research on fuel and whats around in the area and decided to go fill up on Shell 93 V power. What a difference it made. On sticky tires I sometimes spun 1st accelerating. After the new gas, I spin aggressively in 1st AND 2nd gear. Now I only get full traction in 3rd on good tires. It does make a difference, hugely noticeable to me, torque improved as well. At 7psi atm and man this thing just hauls! Go for the nonoxy/non-diluted fuel if its around!
Thats good to see, shell 93 octane made that much of a difference for you eh? I only use pioneer 91 octane.. maybe this will give me an excuse to try out shell. I should have filled up at shell before hitting the dyno, could have squeezed out a bit more power lol. Made 230whp on stock j32a3.

j32a3
accordlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Sounds precisely like what I was having happen.
Could be the injectors having issues with proper flow when cold, if it isn't spark.

Using 91 here personally, fry's gas. Pretty consistent gas, seems to always run the same so that's fine enough for me. Being on j32a3 even if it does have 10% ethanol (haven't looked it up) that wouldn't hurt. Anything to reduce detonation in 100*+ heat.
Easy enough to try. The RDX will need a battery soon so I'll put the accord's in it and take the new one. It also hasn't happened since i replaced the pump and cleaned the filter over the weekend. I also filled up with Shell Vpower the following day because the fuel in my tank was cloudy green. Researched that this happens when the ethanol absorbs moisture in the storage tanks and creates stage separation towards the bottom. Still being monitored right now.
Old March 29th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #30
Mr. Detail

I use Top Tier 93 octane in my car, no getting around ethanol in the Dallas area, its mandated by law here. Once I get west of DFW, its all 91 octane.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in