J36 build - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gnxpro24

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2016, 10:16 PM   #1

J36 build

Im currently building an engine to swap into my 06 Accord coupe 6 speed. I have a ton of J parts and have really wanted to build a J36. This is my daily so I dont want to break the bank or take away funds from my J swapped ek resto project. I plan on running a stock TL-S 6 speed ecu. No Hondata or ktuner.
I have J35a8 full rotating assembly as well as J37. I have really wanted to build the J36 with the J37 crank and rods and the J35a8 pistons. Im thinking this will bump the compression at least a half a point. Will this along with the increase in displacement cause problems? Id really rather build the J36 than just use the J35a8 parts. I will be running the J35a8/J37 injectors btw.
Also, what is the easiest way to get this ecu keyed to my immobilizer?
gnxpro24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #2

Hondata wood be the cheapest
qaz393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 18th, 2016, 10:30 PM   #3

And j35a8 uses version 2 bell housing which is different than 2003-07 accord v6. Acura tl 04-06 is v1 as well as 03 cl type s.
qaz393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 18th, 2016, 10:44 PM   #4

Hondata is not cheaper than the TL-S ecu I already have.
I never said it was a J35a8 block
Old September 18th, 2016, 11:02 PM   #5

sooo what block are you running j30a4/5, j32a3? or a j32a2? Please don't leave out the details we can't read your mind. Also you will need to repin the injectors to match the j35a8/j37a1 style injectors, get creative with a dremel and shave them to fit, or buy the adapter plugs.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 18th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #6

Sorry, yes I know all this. Im using a J35a7 block, already have the J35a8 and J37 engine harness to salvage from. I'm good with wiring. I know what all is compatible and such, mainly just asking about the whole J36 on stock ecu and such.
Old September 19th, 2016, 08:54 AM   #7

You can read my thoughts on the compression in page 6 of my build. I'm pretty sure we need better info on the compression height of the pistons. Almost every Honda piston has a 30mm compression height from what I've found. Honda has traditionally matched the compression height to the rod length to give zero deck clearance then adjusted piston dome to manipulate final static compression.

Using j35a8 pistons will put you likely near 11.5:1 depending how much you take off the mating surfaces of the block and head. Just a best guess without measuring the pistons. If you can take measurements of the compression height of your j35a8 and j37 pistons I would certainly appreciate it because I forgot to in my build

Last edited by 07J30; September 19th, 2016 at 10:46 AM..
07J30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2016, 11:15 AM   #8

The a8 pistons actually look very similar to the J37 pistons (11.2:1) from what I can remember. My only concern on stock ecu is leaning out and knock at WOT. Thoughts?
Old September 19th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnxpro24 View Post
The a8 pistons actually look very similar to the J37 pistons (11.2:1) from what I can remember. My only concern on stock ecu is leaning out and knock at WOT. Thoughts?
there's really no way to know without engine management. if you dont want to get hondata anything you do will just be guesswork. to make it safe for a daily IMO you will need to tune the motor due to the increased compression that the build will bring. if you really dont want to get hondata it might be better to just build a J35, then there will be no question weather the ecu can run the engine safely.
Old September 19th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #10

Well I may be getting KTuner here soon
thisaznboi88 likes this.
Old September 19th, 2016, 07:35 PM   #11

Could you do a review of k-tuner. I have no seen a review on it from a j-series prospective
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2016, 09:41 PM   #12

Its very popular especially with 9g owners. My bro has it on his 15 Sport 6 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in