K-Tuned Billet Shifter Box - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By AccordFire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #1

K-Tuned Billet Shifter Box

I am doing some upgrades to my Accord and first to go in is a K-Tuned billet shifter box.

I couldn't find a tutorial or much info on how to install, so I thought I would do a post.

Install took about 2-3 Hours. Figuring out how to disconnect and reconnect the cables to the shifter box is the hardest part. To disconnect the left cable, you need a screwdriver to wedge behind the grommet and twist the screwdriver to raise the grommet until it comes off (this does take some work). The right cable is much easier to disconnect, simply twist the connector 90 degrees clockwise to the right and pull it up. The left cable disconnects from the shifter arm by unfastening the small metal wire clip. The stock shifter unbolts with 4 bolts, I used the same bolts to fasten the K-Tuned down. Before fastening down, I reconnected the cables to the K-Tuned unit. To reconnect the cables, the K-Tuned unit has to be the same length as the stock unit. I adjusted the length of the K-Tuned unit to be the same length as the stock unit using the 4 adjustment bolts on the bottom of the shifter, so the cables mounted perfectly just like stock. Once I had the K-Tuned shifter set to the correct length, I bolted it down by hand using the factory bolts. I then reconnected the left cable in the same manner that I removed it from the stock unit, I placed the grommet behind the lip of the cable and used a hammer to get it down into place (this took some serious force to get it down, don't worry just keep hitting it on the ends until its all the way down). The right cable connects exactly like it was removed on the factory box, turn counterclockwise 90 degrees after setting it into the hole. The left cable connects to the shifter arm the same way as the stock does, just set the shifter arm into the hole and replace the metal wire fastener. The left cable connects to the arm with two bolts.

Now to the review:
Let me start by saying that I love the stock shift box, but man what a difference the K-Tuned box makes. The stock shift box is smooth and well balanced, but its plastic and is mushy and wiggly and just doesn't feel very solid. The stock feeling gets old after a while. The K-Tuned on the other hand is solid as a rock and just as smooth if not smoother than stock. There is no wiggle with the K Tuned. The shifter moves very smooth and solid. Gears engage and disengage much more responsive than before. Everything feels just right with the K-Tuned. I would recommend this upgrade to anybody with a manual Accord. This was my first mod and my car already feels like a race car. You will not be disappointed with this shifter.

https://flic.kr/p/MgDRi7

https://flic.kr/p/Mjk18F

https://flic.kr/p/MgDRz9

https://flic.kr/p/Mjk1wg
screaminz28 and 0VM66T like this.

Last edited by AccordFire; September 21st, 2016 at 07:38 AM..
AccordFire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:00 PM   #2

Looks great! What shift knob is that ? I am looking to replace the stock one
0VM66T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 26th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #3

The knob is an NRG Carbon Wrap that I bought on ebay for $50. Its billet aluminum coated in carbon wrap with a clear coat on it and the gear numbers on top. You need some super glue with the knob because there is a plastic shaft that screws to the inside of the knob that connects it to the shifter arm. There is a small wiggle with the plastic shaft, but if you fill the space with superglue and then screw the plastic shaft in, the glue will make a tight bond and the wiggle will go away.

Last edited by AccordFire; September 26th, 2016 at 02:05 PM..

Old March 4th, 2018, 08:43 PM   #4

Hey love this guide as I’m with you on the “stock” feeling of the shifting box in the accord now and I’m a big fan of the K-Tuned box my only question is does the whole box stay exposed like that or will the centre console go back in place ? If not I wonder if I’d be able to fabricate something to cover it up even a little to just give it even the slightest “stock” look if you get what I mean just to keep it looking clean because I love the shifter box but the exposed wires and stuff like that are the only thing turning me off.

Also is this a V6 accord? I went onto the K-tuned website as I absolutely love this shifter and I didn't see one there for a J30 I see the one there for the TSX/Accord will that work for a V6 no problem?

Last edited by ajking88; March 4th, 2018 at 09:12 PM..
ajking88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 11th, 2018, 05:15 PM   #5

This fits an 03-07 7th Gen Accord V6 and 4 Cylinder and an 04-08 Acura TSX and an 04-08 Acura TL.

I should update that I have since upgraded the mounting bolts to the K Tuned bushings made for the box. I highly recommend the bushings over the stock bolts. I also upgraded to a Hybrid Racing billet shift knob. I would recommend a billet shift knob for this box. K Tuned, Hybrid Racing, OEM Honda CTR Knob, Real Mugen, Skunk2 or even a new 7th gen Accord knob are good for this box. I do not recommend the NRG or a cheap knob because of the plastic tube on the inside. You don't want any plastic in your shifting.
Old March 24th, 2018, 07:31 PM   #6

Is it lighter weight than original? Shorter throw? Just curious what advantages it provides. I’m considering swapping my Auto to an MT6 just because I miss my manual trans.
DaveyG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in