Ralco rz crank pulley install. Cel - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 530av6
  • 1 Post By ET racer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2017, 04:14 PM   #1

Ralco rz crank pulley install. Cel

After installing the crank pulley lightweight underdrive, i reset ecu and did the ckp relearn, after driving for like 100 miles and flooring it to redline, the cel flashes on for misfire. It always flashes on my second hard run. And if i do it anymore it would stay on. I havent tried putting stock pulley back on. But during stock pulley 99% of the time it never turned. Only it turn on once lol.

Car is 155000miles, 6 spd, 2004, full bolt on. I would have imagine the previous owner would have experience this problem amd have a new crank sensor install by now.

My research shows that it can be a faulty ckp sensor, bad battery, bad spark plugs, bad ign coils, and even a bad afr mixture as my plugs are black sootty around but whitish in the middle electrode and grayish on the tip metal as in running lean.

!???? Any inputs please.

New plugs when i bought car @ 151000 miles since september 2016. It does burn oil too.
Compression during hot is pretty good 205-215 across. Didnt try wet.

Last edited by 530av6; June 21st, 2017 at 10:51 PM..
530av6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2017, 07:35 PM   #2

Buy an OBD II Scanner and read the code when the CEL comes on.

I have this one, but any scanner will work. They are cheap, about $20-$40

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0149XBRUK?psc=1
AccordFire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2017, 10:43 PM   #3

Oh yeah forgot to mention. Im not really a noobie but its 300, 301and 305 the first time it flashes and disappear but code was still stored. Then the second time few days later it flashes and now stays on and my obd scanner read 14 codes lol. But all are misfires 300,301-306 and some codes repeated.

Old June 21st, 2017, 10:46 PM   #4

I have tried switching plugs and coils. I know ill likely be pointed in the direction of the crank sensor.

Curious if anyone has popped up cel or flashes misfires after installing a light weight pulley wethwr its ur or ralco rz.

I went with ralco rz because it seems to have good reviews and plenty other cars tried it with no problems and plus it was a steal so i had too
Old June 26th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #5
Mr. Detail

Might just be a coincidence.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #6

I dont see anyone having a cel after the lighter pulley for misfire. With stock pully the cel flashing never happens but then right after my install and hard run it comes on. Could it be that my previous owners had install a lightweight flywheel already???
Old June 26th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #7

I had done valve adjustments when i got the car.
Old June 27th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #8

What Causes a P0301 Code?

Spark Plugs and Wires
Fuel Injectors
Internal Engine Problems such as Low Compression, etc.

Less Common Causes

Faulty Computer
Coil or Coil Packs
Crank or Cam sensors or reluctor wheels
Faulty O2 (Oxygen) Sensors

Check Engine Code P0301 - Causes and How to Fix It
Old June 28th, 2017, 11:04 AM   #9

It came on after i installed the lighter pulley.

Planning to put stock one back on to see if it still flashes.

And what if it diesnt flashes anymore after i put stock back on? What would that mean?
Old June 28th, 2017, 12:18 PM   #10

Pulley out of balance?
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #11

UPDATE
Ralco ur pulley will make my cel flash everytime when i do a 2nd time hard pull all the way through. Always flashes on my 2nd time going through gears hard. Everytime i do it the firat time through gears hard pulls it never flashes but always onthe 2nd time. By midway theough 3rd gear it always flashes all the time.

Put stock pulley back on. Drove the car hard all the way to end of 3rd gear, no flashes or lit cel whatsoever. I did it like 5-6 times. But i do feel a less pickup response with stock pulley though. Lighter FTW.

Any experts on this???
Old July 1st, 2017, 11:15 PM   #12

Did some research. Your engine is accelerating and decelerating faster than it should, because the pulley is lighter than. Stock. The increased deceleration and acceleration is causing the ECU to show misfire codes. The solution would be to swap a TL Type S ECU into your Honda and Get Hondata or KTuner and tune your engine to remove CEL.
Old July 1st, 2017, 11:29 PM   #13

I believe that is suppose to be the purpose of the lighter pulley and i try searching and apparantly no one has this kinda issue or cel on after installing a lighter pulley
Old July 2nd, 2017, 12:37 AM   #14

^ i had the lightweight underdrive and stock diameter. never got a flashing CEL on it on the stock ECU.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 01:37 AM   #15

Unless previous owner had put in a new lighter flywheel. Thats all i could think of. Cuz having both light pulley n flywheel is bad and will cause misfire or flashing.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 01:38 AM   #16

Guess ill just put the pulley on my 07 pilot lol
0VM66T likes this.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 12:37 PM   #17

Extra vtec
Old July 2nd, 2017, 10:00 PM   #18
The Jester

New spark plugs. Undersized pulley is generating less amps, while letting your engine accelerate faster. Faster accel, more sparks per second per second. Less amps per second, worse sparks and less electrical ability (amps) to spark through crudded plugs.

Try some new plugs, your car probably could use them anyway. I've gotten and fixed randomly appearing misfire CELs by putting in fresh plugs.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 2nd, 2017, 11:06 PM   #19

Hmmm. I did put in fresh plugs after i bought the car at 151,000 miles as stated above since spetember 2016. As of up to date i have only drove the car for 5,000 miles. I dont think i need new plugs or coils now.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 10:21 AM   #20
The Jester

You said your car was burning oil, and it's been almost a year since the last plug swap, and you've only put 5k on the plugs in a year with burning oil meaning you might not have driven enough to burn the crud off the plugs.

It's worth pulling them out and taking a look. Next few things I would look at is timing belt, or battery, or coil packs, or ecu, or o2. Sparks are the cheapest thing to start with, plus they make the most sense and are free to check.

What brand sparks do you have in? I would pop at least the #1 and #6 plugs out to get a feel for both banks' status, if not all of them and post up a pic of the ends.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 02:43 PM   #21

The plugs are ngk ir. Plugs have black dry soot around the ring thread and the electrode and the tip is almost a brown red greyish. In other words the plugs looks to be in normal color.

For 02 sensors, i have a 07 pilot and bad mpg so i bought new up o2s for the pilot and mog was still same. Same part # denso for accord so i use thise new i2 sensor on the accord, no change in performance or mpg whatsoever and i put my accord o2s on my pilot and my pilot still same mpg.

The coil packs. I bought new coils for the pilot denso brand cuz if misfire upon cold start up. Didnt help and part number was same for accord according to rockauto so inused the new coils from pilot onto accord and no change.

I havent checked or bought new battery yet.
Old July 4th, 2017, 07:15 AM   #22
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

Well, you mentioned that you did receive a CEL with your OEM pulley. That would lead me to believe you do have an underlying problem causing this. The Ralco is simply exacerbating the underlying issue....

...you have narrowed it down some and is looking more towards an internal issue.
WHEEELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 4th, 2017, 04:24 PM   #23

That one time it happened twice was when my clutch was cold and i tried to launch and it was bouncing iff the rev limiter 1-3rd gear cuz it happened so fast and thought i was spinning tires but i was going no where. Thats when it started flashing on stock pulley with new plugs. Then flashes and turned on 10 min later when i was doing a 2nd gear roll to end if 3rd and it stayed lit on. My sparks plug were a bit loose from the first intitial install and so i retightened it down and ever since no flashing on stock pulley. Been fine.
Old July 4th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #24

Could just be a bad sensor?
Old July 4th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #25
The Jester

So you mean you're running lean? How bad is the coloration? Have you gap checked? How far up is the burning and how extensive the corrosion?

Also if you're burning oil, there's no way your sparks aren't pitch black.

Kinda starting to sound like the problem is just you. Why not take it to an auto shop for a diagnosis.
Old July 4th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #26

Gap is around right around the ball park of .43

Ill try ti get pics of plugs.

I just realized that my fuel pump isnt stock. Its brand spectrum premium/cooling depot sp8003m. Seems like a very cheap brand. I would have to check my fuel pressure too.
Old July 31st, 2017, 01:06 PM   #27

This same thing happened to me with the same pulley and threw the same codes, these are false misfires, bc the sensor is reading miss but the engine doesn't feel like it's missing at wot correct?. The sensor is sensitive lol sometimes just putting an impact on the crank bolt can upset it, that's y the manual always recommends a ckp clear/learn after taking the crank pulley off. You don't have Hds but to to clear the crank learned value I disconnected my neg terminal overnight and followed the ckp relearn procedure to a T in the manual. Cel never came back, don't chase ghosts w plugs and coils, if it started after the lightweight pulley install its related. Good luck
07J30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2017, 10:38 AM   #28

Thanks but i did tried the relaern with no luck. Maybe i should have done a few times. Pulley is already installed on my 07 pilot tho lol
Old August 10th, 2017, 07:05 AM   #29
teamxxxracing

racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530av6 View Post
Thanks but i did tried the relaern with no luck. Maybe i should have done a few times. Pulley is already installed on my 07 pilot tho lol
I have an under drive pulley on my accord maybe every 4th time at the track I get 1 round with a misfire but the car never lost ET plus no CEL. .And never found the problem.
NSWDoc likes this.
Richie[#4812]

Last edited by ET racer; August 10th, 2017 at 02:45 PM..
ET racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in