Installed pre cat deletes yesterday - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By #1Gaza
  • 1 Post By #1Gaza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2019, 08:19 AM   #1

Installed pre cat deletes yesterday

Last week I went ahead and ordered precat deletes. I have been worried about my cats dissolving and shooting ceramic into my engine, and I also worried about the excessive heat the cats hold in the engine head, particularly since I live in SC where it gets stupid hot in the summer. Plus I drive 100 miles a day or more and I have heard these will help highway mileage. The added power is also a pleasant bonus.

As most have said, Richie provides awesome service. I'd highly recommend going with any of his products. He provides everything needed for the install and everything fit 100% perfectly. In addition he sent me a telescopic magnet tool, key chain, license plate frame and some RV6 stickers all for free.

Notes on the install:

I have heard people complain that these are really difficult to install. I didn't feel like that was the case, but if you don't have a ton of different tools I could see how it would be hard. I needed 10, 12 and 14mm sockets both deep and shallow, wobble adaptors, 3" and 6" straight extensions, an adjustable long handled socket wrench, and a shorter regular socket wrench. Luckily I also had access to compressed air and that definitely helped the cause, but it's not necessary. A breaker bar is also a must, and an O2 sensor socket. There's a pretty good thread over on Acurazine that has a step-by-step installation guide, and I followed it pretty closely and had no issues.

The back cat is far and away the hardest, but honestly it wouldn't have been that bad if the heat shield bolts weren't so ridiculously rusted. both heat shields need to be removed on the rear cat in order to take it out the top and I had to cut the heat shields with a dremel because the bolts were rusted to oblivion. And in order to get at the bottom heat shield bolts with the dremel, I had to unbolt the cat first and drop it down as far as it would go. It took over an hour to remove the heat shields on the rear cat. Once the heat shields were out on the rear cat it will lift right out the top with no issues.

Review: Engine runs a LOT cooler. I was able to grab a hold of my intake manifold after my 50 mile morning commute and that thing normally feels like a griddle. Also: I still have a completely stock exhaust bolted up to the precat deletes and I am getting virtually no rasp. I was really worried about rasp since I spend so much time driving a day. My fears were groundless. I get a bit of rasp on a WOT run but it's not unpleasant, and there is zero when highway cruising.

Power is definitely increased, the engine doesn't run out of breath at 6k RPM like it used to, and it is definitely faster throughout the powerband.

Overall I'd say it's a worthwhile mod - better gas mileage, car is more reliable, engine runs cooler, and the car is faster! And I'm still running a cat so the treehuggers can't crucify me.
Scottwax likes this.
#1Gaza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2019, 06:47 PM   #2
Mr. Detail

Did you get a CEL after installing them?

2004 Infiniti G35 6MT. Also super shiny.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2019, 07:03 AM   #3

Nope no check engine light. The precat deletes come with the O2 defoulers already installed in the correct position, although I had to move the front precat defouler a few degrees as it was hitting the front engine mount. but I am quite happy that there was no check engine as I've heard a few ppl having issues with that.

Also my ECU has had some more time to learn that my exhaust actually flows now, and I really notice the increase in torque in the midrange now. I'm about to do the timing belt and a valve adjustment next, and then hopefully no more maintenance mods for a while.
Scottwax likes this.

Old April 5th, 2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Mr. Detail

Thanks! We have emission testing here (can't have a CEL) so that's good to know.
Old April 5th, 2019, 07:17 PM   #5

Yeah that’s the benefit of no emissions testing in SC, you could drive a brand new car off a lot here, go straight to your garage and delete every cat on the vehicle, and run the car into the ground over the next 20 years and never get bothered. I’d think twice about installing these in a state that tests, but I’ve heard that as long as they are installed correctly and you keep the 3rd cat that there are guys that have passed both the OBDII test and the sensor-in-the-tailpipe test with precat deletes installed. Totally catless guys have passed in states that just do OBDII.

Personally if i was in Cali or some super strict state id pass on these. I’ve hear of guys that re-install the regular cats just for testing but if you ask me that’s way too much work, and aside from that if you pulled cats and deletes on and off the exhaust studs enough, eventually you’d break one and be in a world of doodoo.
Old April 6th, 2019, 02:44 PM   #6
Mr. Detail

I pass with my other car with zero issues here and it doesn't have any cats. Also doesn't have a CEL so that's all they check.
Old April 8th, 2019, 09:10 AM   #7

Ok so installing the Cat deletes has given me the mod bug. Here's a question for any of you posters still active: what gains are there still to be made in the exhaust if I still have a stock j pipe, 3rd cat, and catback? I've heard some people say once you delete the precats, there's not a ton of gains still to be made..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in