#1Gaza's '06 6MT sedan build thread - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2019, 05:22 PM   #1

#1Gaza's '06 6MT sedan build thread

Welp, I made a build thread on Acurazine, partly to get my post count up there so I can PM people in the classifieds, but also because it gets more traffic these days. But since V6P has taught me so much about my car, I figured I may as well make a thread here too.

To recap where I'm at currently, I bought the car in Feb 2018 as a DD/family car that's also fun to drive, reliable, 4 doors, good gas mileage, can run on regular fuel - basically all the things that make the Accord 6MT Sedan a great car. But some notable weak points soon showed themselves, mostly a really crappy feeling clutch, brakes that barely stopped the car, and a sloppy and understeery chassis. Also, the transmission popped out of first gear anytime I let off the gas, and I got an occasional 3rd gear popout. So, I started researching, and the mods started to follow.

Current mods:

Full front brake upgrade with Legend GS calipers / Accord coupe rotors and brackets, hi-carbon rotors, and Wagner Thermoquiet pads front and rear.

New slave cylinder with check valve delete

GM Synchromesh transmission fluid

19mm RSB from an '03 Acura TL-S and new endlinks.

Intake resonator delete

polished intake manifold

RV6 precat deletes

I've also done a bunch of maintenance work. Time-sert repair in cylinder 5 after a spark plug blowout, new spark plugs and the cylinder 5 coil pack, full timing belt kit with water pump, tensioner and pulleys, valve adjustment, replaced a bent rim with an '02 TL-S junkyard rim, and replaced all 4 tires. The previous owner appears not to have done any maintenance work to speak of other than oil changes.

So: after all this, I have recently hatched some pretty big plans for the car.

In the next month or so, I'm going to fully port the throttle body, intake manifold and runners.

Then, I'm going to start buying parts for the real big plans. The thought right now is to buy a junkyard 04-06 Acura TL 3.2 engine and do a full rebuild with new bearings and rings and send the crank and block out to a machine shop for honing and a clearance check. Then I'd like to get some RL heads because of the stiffer springs and better cams and do a bit of porting to them. Then I'll get a TL ECU, a new clutch and flywheel, and throw it all in the car. The hope is that I'll end up with a basically brand new engine good for another 150k miles at the least, along with the increased performance from displacement.

I'm trying to do all this on a real tight budget. Expensive upgrades like the 3.7 throttle body/intake manifold and Hondata are probably not in the cards. I'm really just looking for the reliability aspect with a bit of a power bump as a bonus. I'd LOVE to do a 3.5 or 3.6 stroker build if there was some way to run it without tuning, but from what I've read any sort of big build like that needs a tune to run properly. A tune = Hondata. Hondata = $1500. Plus a new crank and rods will run me at least $800 more than what I'm currently planning (hoping to reuse the crank, pistons and rods from the stock TL).
#1Gaza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2019, 05:30 PM   #2
Mr. Detail

Pics?
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 8th, 2019, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwax View Post
Pics?
. Lol the guys on acurazine want pics too. Idk what pics are gonna do for ya, it’s a 100% stock looking ‘06 accord 6 speed sedan, carbon bronze pearl with tan leather interior. Not lowered and on stock rims. Good shape but zero obvious mods unless I crack the hood, at which point the only difference from a stock engine is the missing intake resonator and precat deletes. I’ll take some pics when the TL engine project gets up and going.
#1Gaza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in