Which mod will have more potential power gains? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2004, 11:39 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Jliu2k2
Which mod will have more potential power gains?

i as just wondering whether you think we would get more gains out of the Comptech downpipe or the UR pulleys. (This is if either of them ever come out)
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2004, 12:14 AM   #2
member: stroppy moo club

Send a message via ICQ to bored&stroked Send a message via AIM to bored&stroked
Probably the pulleys if everything else is stock or near stock. But I would never down grade my alternator or water pump, so pulleys aren't an option for me
98 GMC 1500- so low, so sweet. Daily driver #1.
06 CBR600F4i- freakin rocket ship. Daily #2.

Disclaimer- I can't spell correctly to save my life.
bored&stroked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:02 PM   #3
Banned

Ummmmm, the UR pulleys won't screw up your alternator, or waterpump, they are supposed to be concentrated on reducing reciprocating mass, that's why there is a no-underdriving lighweight pulley set. I don't know if RVM underdrives as well, if it does though, i will just consider the UR set.

By the way, why does everone still think pullies are voodoo mods , they are most efficent way to recover lost power from the engine, typically a pulley set produces 10- 14FWHP, that's as much as the bulky headers

Last edited by Lxcord; April 1st, 2004 at 10:06 PM..
Lxcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:12 AM   #4
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
why no one would think an ecu related mod (either unichip or even vafc) will give you most gain? i meant, isn't it already somewhat proven by properly tuning after having few mods will give you the most gain?
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by brex on April 2nd, 2004 at 08:12 AM

why no one would think an ecu related mod (either unichip or even vafc) will give you most gain? i meant, isn't it already somewhat proven by properly tuning after having few mods will give you the most gain?
I think many people including myself think piggy back ecus give good gains but we don't mention about them much here mostly because they are not readily available to us. There is the VAFC but I think many members would prefer more specific ecus (such as Hondata)
leo leo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:30 AM   #6

ECU/Greddy/VAFC's.....

I picked up a good 15hp or so with Greddy's E-Manage and a CAI from Injen. There's more to it though as I dropped the VTEC to 4600 so the pull from the higher cam kicks in a little sooner.

I'm switching to AEM's intake as I personally like them better and have one via a sweet deal that I couldn't pass up. Should have that installed in about two weeks once my local shop has some time to install it, tune the Greddy again and do another Dyno. I'll post the results of that dyno once it's done.

The new shop I'm working with has plenty of experience with them and insists they can drop my VTEC to 4400rpm and still maintain power. I trust them as they have mostly very high end import customers and the top two techs are former Honda folks.

In the end, don't discount the piggy back systems. Just beware that you do have to have them tuned after each mod. The 240hp accord has a great ECU, but it's very much tuned to economy. My MPG dropped a bit. Was averaging 24-26mpg, now I'm down to 21-22mpg pretty consistantly mixed driving. Worth it for me as I know it has done it's job.

Will really shine once the forced induction system is in place A custom turbo will require a bit of down time, cost more and be more difficult to set up although do-able and likely produce the most HP. However, I'm leaning towards a custom supercharger as it will be much easier to do overall and still yield good gains. When?? don't know, but it will happen in the next year or two. I have time and until then, can wait to see what else is introduced via other companies.

Quote:
Originally posted by brex
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Lxcord
Ummmmm, the UR pulleys won't screw up your alternator, or waterpump, they are supposed to be concentrated on reducing reciprocating mass, that's why there is a no-underdriving lighweight pulley set.
I never said they would screw them up, I said DOWN GRADE. A water pump spinning slower moves less water. A alternator spinning slower below a certain RPM produces less power. Thats a down grade. Of course they will continue to work, just not as well as before. And yes while UR has light weight only pulleys, all pulleys made for the accord so far with the exception of the LW supercharger crank pulley have been underdriven sets. I don't see them changing that for the 7th gen.

Old April 4th, 2004, 04:13 PM   #8

What gains could i expect from a v-afc II vtec?
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:40 PM   #9

Depends on other mods. Personally, I would suggest an intake and exaust first along with using 91octane at all times.

Old April 6th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #10

i already have the borla exhaust. I'm not too sure about getting an intake because I hear that it won't do much for the 6mt. I'm just waiting for some pulleys/ downpipe then maybe a v-afc II
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in