AUTOS- D3 or D4? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #1
The Poker KING

Send a message via AIM to LIL TANE
AUTOS- D3 or D4?

Just wondering, do you guys drive in D or D3? I first started driving in D3 thanks to the FAQ. I love the way the car drives in D3, but I was wondering if it's bad for the car at all or if wastes more gas? Thanks.
LIL TANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #2
Eccenpix

Use D for normal daily driving. it saves you gas pretty much and let gears go through all the way.

I heard somewhere to use D3 on local and D on highway but I always put on D and use D3 only when someone is bugging me hard or when I need a little higher rpm... such as... steep hill maybe.
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:15 AM   #3
The Poker KING

Cool,,,thanks bro

Old April 16th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #4
I Pull Wire

Send a message via MSN to IvtecV6_ACCORD
Putting it in D3 will limit the transmission to the first three gears only, so you will get better performance out of your car for the more spirited driving that you might do. I also like to use it around town, drives better I find, Espessially with stop and go traffic. But on the highway D is the way to go.
IvtecV6_ACCORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:22 PM   #5
member: stroppy moo club

Send a message via ICQ to bored&stroked Send a message via AIM to bored&stroked
Quote:
Originally posted by IvtecV6_ACCORD
Putting it in D3 will limit the transmission to the first three gears only, so you will get better performance out of your car for the more spirited driving that you might do.
NOPE, WRONG. It will limit to the first three gears yes, but this wont help performance any. When you floor it, the tranny still down shifts to whatever gear is best, usually 1st ,2nd or 3rd. So it wont matter if you have it in D3 or just D, its still going into those gears. This is all a perception thing with the 5sp auto. It actually helped a little in the 6th gen for other reasons.
98 GMC 1500- so low, so sweet. Daily driver #1.
06 CBR600F4i- freakin rocket ship. Daily #2.

Disclaimer- I can't spell correctly to save my life.
bored&stroked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:03 PM   #6
The Music Must Change

Send a message via ICQ to TriKKy Send a message via AIM to TriKKy
Couple of things.

First, I was told the reason for keeping in D3 in city driving was to stop the tranny from shifting over and over and over again. Basically it was easier on the tranny is what I was told. (this could be totally f*cking stupid for all I know but whatever)

Second, there is a boost in limiting to 3 gears, think about it. If you are going 60 in 3rd gear and mash, you are in the peak of your power band without having to shift at all, you are there. Of course, this doesnt make a difference at all under about 60mph, but it means you will get the largest amount of torque you can get. At least this is what I think, but I'm a dumbass about cars mostly.

And unfortunately....it is D3 or D5....

TriKKy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #7
The Poker KING

okay thanks for the responses

what you guys think about the gas usage? is D3 gonna cause a significant drop( i don't mind for a little) in gass milage because it's at a higher rpm than D?
OEM Fog Lights
AEM V2 CAI
Tein H-Tech Springs
Ingalls Rear Camber & Toe Kit
35% Tint
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #8
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
Sure its going to cause a slight drop in mileage, afterall you are bypassing overdrive by not allowing the transmission to shift into 4th gear. As long as the revs stay below 3 grand, you should not see that much of a change/decrease. It is not bad on your car/transmission to do this at all, infact actually saves your car from shifting so much when it does not need to. Staying out of overdrive is the only way that i can stand to drive an auto! (Hense why I have a 6-speed)
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #9
The Poker KING

yeah bluspeed i feel you

i was reading my manual on my lunch break, and it basically said the same thing

im just gonna start using d3 for city and d for highway. The car just feels so much more responsive in d3 and you hear the intake a lot more (that deep sound). My only concern was if it was bad for the tranny but I think that's cleared up now

Thanks fellaz.
OEM Fog Lights
AEM V2 CAI
Tein H-Tech Springs
35% Tint
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to NightShift
Simply put, "D" will keep your RPMs down, less engine noise, and the engine doesn't have any reason to be spinning so fast. D3 will give u almost immediate response in 3rd gear which makes it more fun. If i'm cruisin around 50 and know i wanna speed up considerably soon, i shift into D3 so OD don't take over. So yeh, if u plan on being on the highway or above 60-65, def. use D.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AMS
OIL Dealer&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
NightShift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #11
The Poker KING

Quote:
If i'm cruisin around 50 and know i wanna speed up considerably soon, i shift into D3 so OD don't take over. So yeh, if u plan on being on the highway or above 60-65, def. use D.
Nightshift I'm confused, isn't that contradicting yourself? I mean, if you're going 50 then you shift into D3, you're obviously going to go over 60 right? I don't know maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.
OEM Fog Lights
AEM V2 CAI
Tein H-Tech Springs
35% Tint
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #12

get a STICK!!!
hondatuner7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:02 PM   #13
The Music Must Change

Wow, what a useful remark, thanks.

Anyway, LIL, how is he contradicting himself. He is saying if you want less noise and plan on being on highway for a while, use D (OD). If you want to be running at a higher RPM so that you are easily in the powerband without having to downshift you should be in D3.

Old April 16th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #14
The Poker KING

got it, Thanks again TriKKy
OEM Fog Lights
AEM V2 CAI
Tein H-Tech Springs
35% Tint
Old April 17th, 2004, 02:41 AM   #15
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
IMO, I would never drive around town in D3. It burns more gas and puts more stress (mostly more heat) on the transmission. I never hear of people driving around in 3rd gear around town with a M/T so why do it in an automatic?

I only use D3:
A. To keep it out of 4th for a short time (under 40 MPH).
B. For “spirited” driving.
C. For Drag Strip racing (3rd in a 6th gen can go to 120 MPH. Since my car can't do 120 MPH in the 1/4 I keep it in 3rd to prevent it from up shifting to soon.)

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #16
The Music Must Change

Your reason A is exactly why an auto would do it in traffic.

Old April 18th, 2004, 06:42 PM   #17
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by TriKKy on April 17th, 2004 at 11:39 AM

Your reason A is exactly why an auto would do it in traffic.
6th gen AV6 transmissions tend to shift into 4th as low as 30 MPH, especially when you are barely touching the gas. I put it in D3 to keep this from happening and put it back into D4 when I go over 40-45 MPH.

Old April 18th, 2004, 07:06 PM   #18
Got some 19's

Send a message via AIM to VietGuy03 Send a message via Yahoo to VietGuy03
Plum, if you do that "Shifting into D4 when you go over 40-45 mph" is that bad for the transmission? I mean you are essentially telling the transmission when to shift, and not letting the tranny shift where it was pre-programmed. Granted, our trannies aren't the best, but I'm pretty sure we would all like them to last as long as possible, right?
VietGuy03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:22 AM   #19
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by VietGuy03 on April 18th, 2004 at 09:06 PM

Plum, if you do that "Shifting into D4 when you go over 40-45 mph" is that bad for the transmission? I mean you are essentially telling the transmission when to shift, and not letting the tranny shift where it was pre-programmed. Granted, our trannies aren't the best, but I'm pretty sure we would all like them to last as long as possible, right?
No, there is no difference if you maually do it or if the transmission does it automatically. Constantly manually downshifting to D3 and upshifting to D4 all day long isn't good for the tranny (over an extended length of time) but holding it in D3 from a stop wouldn't hurt it.

Old June 10th, 2004, 07:23 AM   #20

both

I drive through my gears a lot and always have. I miss manual trannies, but since it's not offered in the sedan I have no choice.

When around town/burbs I usually keep it in D3 until the rpms climb above 3500 or so, then I shift. I find myself shifting into D3 manually when passing or making a move in traffic. It's just easier to prepare for the move in D3 than waiting until the time is there and punching it. I can also keep it in gears longer than the computer often will.

I tend to start off the line slower and manually keep it in 1st, but then like to rush into second if I"m having fun. Too many nuts around here run red lights and crap to warrant jumping off the line. Besides...the Accord doesn't jump at all, so why try

Shifting manually allows more control IMO and won't hurt the tranny or car in anyway. You may wear out the shift plate or as in the case of my 02 Trailblazer, the wire that controlled the brake lock but I delt with that.
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #21
Who's yo daddy?

Re: both

Quote:
Originally posted by pdqgp
Shifting manually allows more control IMO and won't hurt the tranny or car in anyway.
Agreed. I use D3 around town for the most part, and D5 on the highway. Won't hurt a thing.

Mackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:21 AM   #22
7th Gen ACcord

interesting.... maybe ill try using D3 when gas price goes down a bit. hahah
xjdMb16a2six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2004, 05:27 AM   #23

Mackdaddy...what exhaust?

are you running stock or aftermarket exhaust?
Old June 11th, 2004, 05:31 AM   #24
Who's yo daddy?

Re: Mackdaddy...what exhaust?

Quote:
Originally posted by pdqgp
are you running stock or aftermarket exhaust?
Still stock. I tried the Magnaflow catback (for 1 day.) It looked fantastic, but had the "drone from hell" between 2k-3k RPM. I'm still trying to find the perfect "tone."
Mackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #25

Re: Re: Mackdaddy...what exhaust?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mackdaddy
Still stock. I tried the Magnaflow catback (for 1 day.) It looked fantastic, but had the "drone from hell" between 2k-3k RPM. I'm still trying to find the perfect "tone."
Me too. Never did find one I liked for my Trailblazer. I-6's....especially that one, are loud as heck!
pdqgp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #26
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
Originally posted by Plumaccordcoupe
IMO, I would never drive around town in D3. It burns more gas and puts more stress (mostly more heat) on the transmission. I never hear of people driving around in 3rd gear around town with a M/T so why do it in an automatic?
I always drove around town in D3 in my Accord. The constant shifting back and forth between 4th and 3rd was annoying, 4th gear has zero pep anyways, and on top of that all of the shifting is what overheats and wears out the clutch packs and overheats the tranny. Just holding 3rd doesn't do that. It's nice and flat in Florida, but up here in the hills 4th is a joke.

I drive around town in 3rd gear in the Maxima too (M/T) when I'm going through the red light district.

The Highlander has plenty o torque thanks to VVT-i, the variable intake manifold, and short gearing, so no need to lock out 4th in that around town.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2004, 04:23 PM   #27
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC on June 11th, 2004 at 02:00 PM

I always drove around town in D3 in my Accord. The constant shifting back and forth between 4th and 3rd was annoying, 4th gear has zero pep anyways, and on top of that all of the shifting is what overheats and wears out the clutch packs and overheats the tranny. Just holding 3rd doesn't do that. It's nice and flat in Florida, but up here in the hills 4th is a joke.
No wonder you got such bad gas mileage in your Accord . Yes, Florida is nice and flat most of the time so driving in D4 isn't a problem. Some of our highways have steep slopes but that’s about it . Driving in D3 around town sometimes is fun though .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in