Nitrous - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to JPAccord
Nitrous

Im pretty set on a 75 shot sometime at the end of the summer and I was just wondering what exactly to get. Some people say wet shot, some say dry. I read somewhere that dry is bad for our cars, but it didnt elaborate on that. Which is safer, and would a 75 shot be ok? I dont plan on abusing it, its for track applications only, and I probably go to the track once a month. Thanks

**EDIT**

Also, i know we cant use the Zex WOT feature, but can i still get a Zex kit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Signature violation: modifications list.

*If it's too LOUD, youre too OLD.

Last edited by JPAccord; May 8th, 2004 at 02:42 PM..
JPAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #2
8cyls, 2 turbos, 30psi

Send a message via AIM to r.j-lo
Dry isnt bad, just not everyones preferred method. You can go for either, but if you really want to tune it and such, go for a wet kit. Im biased on NX, but have had a Zex kit also. Im not too up on the 7g setup, but all Zex kits work the same, so Im guessing you cant use them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

r.j-lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:33 AM   #3

What are the benefits of dry vs. wet?
Also, what other mods do you have done taht you ran a 13.52, or was that just your 75 shot?

Old May 9th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #4
8cyls, 2 turbos, 30psi

Quote:
Originally posted by JPAccord on May 9th, 2004 at 06:33 AM

Also, what other mods do you have done taht you ran a 13.52, or was that just your 75 shot?
Dry is a tad cheaper and aliitle easier to install. Wet provides a bit more umph when you spray.

Headers, pullies, intake, catback, hi flow cat, WIDEBAND O2 VAFC TUNING, stock rims, and many trial and error runs down the strip

Old May 10th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #5
Something Something Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Doom
You can't run a dry kit on a 7th gen. I forgot the exact reason.

Anything below a 75 shot is plug and play. You run the higher octane anyways so I doubt you need colder plugs. I doubt you'll have pinging unless you spray with 87 octane. But that's on a 75 shot. Your engine should hold it. Your tranny manual should also. We don't know about the auto since it's about the same as the 6th so it's TBD.

Doom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #6
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
Originally posted by JPAccord
You should try searching. All of this has been covered in depth before. I think BigVic did a giant write-up.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #7
Stoner Boner

I think the reason you can't run a dry shot is because of the DIS instead of actual spark plugs and wires, etc. And yes, the engine will definitely and tranny as well, will hold a 75 shot no problem. I got a friend that is running a 75 shot with just intake and exhaust on 93 when he goes to the track. Wet shot 75, that is. After my warranty, I'm going to be turbo (or S/C, whichever has better gains) and then juicing it. Faster you get down the track....the more fun it is
stoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by stoner on May 10th, 2004 at 03:05 PM

I think the reason you can't run a dry shot is because of the DIS instead of actual spark plugs and wires, etc.
Incorrect. 00-02 Accords are DIS and can run dry kits. I should know, I have a Zex kit.

Old May 10th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #9
Stoner Boner

That's what some people have said, maybe they were just leading me away from Dry kits. Who knows...I don't know jack about Nitrous, so I'm not even going to consider putting it anywhere near my car until I'm well educated on it.
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #10
8cyls, 2 turbos, 30psi

Quote:
Originally posted by stoner on May 10th, 2004 at 02:04 PM

I don't know jack about Nitrous
Most people on here dont

Old May 11th, 2004, 10:03 AM   #11
Stoner Boner

Well, I'll be the first to admit it then, because I'm not touching that stuff without knowledge. I kind of like keeping my car is the running state, not dead on the site of the road *cough* ford *cough*
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #12
Banned

Anyone with a 7th GEN really thinking of doing a shot on their cars in the future? I have thought about it... turbo is wayyyy too expensive and not even an option at this point in time, seems like the only real good power adder for us.
tommcimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #13

Im strongly considering it, i want to research it first and be informed though. Its hands down the best mod in terms of cost-power.
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #14

Yeah don't worry about it breaking your motor guys. The key is an excellent installment and of course not too much of a shot. Nitrous kits have been around so long that's really rare to hear about them breaking.
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #15
8cyls, 2 turbos, 30psi

Doom is right. The first and main reason why it can harm an engine, etc is the installation. As long as that is good and proper (and you dont abuse it like an idiot) everything will be fine. Most of the horror stories go back to shortcuts that the installers took.

(notice I said MOST)

Old May 12th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to formatsee
7th gen can't use the zex dry kit cuz it uses the tps. which the 7th gen does not have. zex activate itself at wot. you can use the push button method but why get a zex when you are gonna do that.
formatsee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #17

will the purge light from zex work with a nonzex kit?
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #18
8cyls, 2 turbos, 30psi

Quote:
Originally posted by JPAccord on May 12th, 2004 at 03:33 PM

will the purge light from zex work with a nonzex kit?
Yes. My Zex purge is hooked to my NX kit.

Old May 12th, 2004, 07:39 PM   #19

Any reason you have different parts of your system from different manufacturers? Also, what do i need to do in order to have two purge streams?
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:47 PM   #20
8cyls, 2 turbos, 30psi

I used to have a Zex dry kit but switched over to the NX system. Didnt make any sense to change over EVERYTHING, so I kept the purge and remote opener from Zex to use on the Nitrous Express kit and bottle warmer.

A dual streamed purge isnt hard, but the kit doesnt come with enough material to do it (it barely gives you enough copper to make one purge tube!). The one in the kit is a 6" piece so you have to mount your solenoid very close to where you want to purge. Just find any plumbing/hose/hardware store and they wil lhave the right size copper and fittings to extend to where ever you want to go.

Old May 12th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #21

Ah ok i see. What exactly are the advantages of the remote opener and bottle warmer? They cost a lot extra... How does the NX compare to the Zex?
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:23 PM   #22
8cyls, 2 turbos, 30psi

Hands down the NX is better, but that is also a wet compared to a dry kit. Advantages of a remote opener are so you dont have to get out to go to your trunk in the middle of traffic to open your bottle for that GT Mustang that wants to race! Absolute best thing you can get for the nitrous is a bottle warmer. You need the pressure up between 900-1100psi to really get the effect. You arent going to get it that high without a warmer.

Old May 13th, 2004, 04:45 AM   #23

Do you need a warmer if its warm where you live? During the summer it stays at about 95-100 all summer. Would there be anything wrong with leaving the nitrous bottle open, instead of using the remote opener? Thanks
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:08 AM   #24

Temp might affect your bottle pressure, but the beautiful thing about a warmer is that it will keep it at the optimal pressure as r.j-lo stated. I've heard mixed reviews about bottle openers and even shops where I inquired to buy one recommended me not to get one. So I put the bottle behind my seat. You can drive around with the bottle open and the nitrous dis-armed. Just remember to purge out your line before a run so that you get nitrous from the bottle and not sitting in your purge line.
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #25
8cyls, 2 turbos, 30psi

I live in the middle of the desert. Temp in the summer hits about 100, a little over. Yes, during warmer months the bottle pressure doesnt drop as much, but are you only going to use it during the summer? Its not that hot at night either. I have heard mized reviews of bottle openers, but mine works fine and most people I know say thiers works great also. That is more of a convienience really.

Old May 13th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #26

So instead of the opener, i can just leave it open, and purge before my shot? Thanks
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:44 PM   #27

Just be sure to close it when you get home.
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #28

TPS Signal on Gen 7

I've been reading a lot of posts claiming that the new V6 Accord's electronic throttle has no TPS signal and is therefore not compatible with the ZEX system. This never made any sense to me, since it's only logical that the PGM needs to know the position of the throttle plate at all times and it can't assume this based on accelerator pedal position. So I pulled out my Helms, and low and behold, it specifies a signal wire at terminal 1 of the 6P connector. For those of you without a Helms, thats the topmost red and black wire in the 6-wire connector at the throttle body.

I verified that there was a signal by manually opening the throttle plate with the key on and engine off (of course!). The voltage measured from 0.90 to 4.26 VDC fully open. I called ZEX, and they verified that that's more than enough voltage. Bear in mind you can't get this voltage by stepping on the accelerator. The electronic throttle will not open the throttle plate with the engine not running. Furthermore, it will limit throttle position while in park even with the engine running. You must manually open the throttle plate to initiate the required voltage (again, with the engine off and ignition on). You might throw a code, because the PGM will sense a mismatch between accelerator pedal position and the throttle plate position, but this should be shortlived.

So you can see that the WOT feature of ZEX wet system is completely compatible with the Gen 7 Accord's electronic throttle. Now don't all of you N2O junkies using a button (GAWD!) or a pedal switch wish you'd done your homework first?

By the way, I will be purchasing a ZEX wet kit shortly, and I plan to relay it to the Vtec solonoid power wire so that it only activates during Vtec and at WOT.

Norm
fastnotfurious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:12 PM   #29

So you're saying that the 7th gen has TPS but can't use the Zex kit because of the lack of voltage to power that switch on it? I don't have a 6th gen so I'm not sure.

Good research though, calling Zex and checking the Helms.

Old May 28th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally posted by Doom
So you're saying that the 7th gen has TPS but can't use the Zex kit because of the lack of voltage to power that switch on it? I don't have a 6th gen so I'm not sure.

Good research though, calling Zex and checking the Helms.
Uh, not exactly. I'm saying that the new V6 Accord (Gen 7) has a TPS output and that the ZEX WOT feature will work with it. But in order to program the ZEX control unit with the ignition on and the key off, you have to open the throttle plate by placing your fingers into the throttle body and moving the plate by hand. The accelerator pedal won't do it unless the engine is running. The ZEX control unit has to see a WOT signal for 10 seconds before it can learn when to initiate N2O flow. So you must hold the throttle plate fully open by hand for at least 10 seconds. After this, you'll be spraying anytime you are at WOT.
fastnotfurious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in