1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  DaveDB 
#1 ·
heres my basic driving scenario:
straight away from stop- sometimes slight roll
1st to 2nd - punch it hitting 5 to 6K RMP
2nd to 3rd - still punching same as above
3rd to 4th - whats the point here? It dont get faster:p

Am I killing my engine/tranny here?
Sometimes I mis-shift and god the sound of the gears grinding scares the f** out of me:p There was a thread (not sure where it was) where shifting in cold isnt as smooth as a warmed up tranny. Since Im in Canada, uggghhh its always cold up here:p
I dont do this all the time, but at times when I feel the need for speed, damn it feels good to hear that low rumble:O)
And why does it feel like a quicker take off when Im turning a corner?

I know these are newbie questions, Ive only been driving a perf car since last summer and have to loose 4 months of winter.

Any tips would be nice:O)

Thanks!!

V6 MT
Nighthawk Black
Everythings stock expect for tire air valves:)

See less See more
#2 ·
any time you mis-shift, it won't be good for your synchros.

dont beat on a cold car. give it some time to warm up before you start rompin on it.

you feel extra g's when you are turning a corner, therefore you feel like you are accelerating faster even though you aren't.

#3 ·
KEY POINT IS TO LET YOUR ENGINE WARM UP...SINCE ITS A NEW CAR..ATLEAST 3-4 MINS

MIS-SHIFT?? THAT HAPPEN WEN U'RE NEW AT IT..SO U'LL GET BETTER

AS FOR ME..WEN I START DRIVING STICK...I DO'NT USUALY SHIFT AT HIGH RPM.. (HIGH = ,5 OR MORE to me..NOT EVERYONE)

SO START OFF AT 3-4..THAT SHOULD BE A GOOD START..JUST TO GET ROLLIN FIRST

#4 ·
thanks guys for the tips!
I do know about the G's, but Im thinking after the corner the car seems to kick faster ( ala rolling). Weird just feels that way.
as far as being new at it, that I can admit too but heck Ive read many drivers complain about the stick not hitting the mark with this car!
3 or 4 seems okay, but doesnt the vtec kick in at higher?
or am I not suppose to be shifting when that happens?
Thanks again:O)

#5 ·
When you floor it, shift at redline. When you don't floor it, shift anytime you want before redline. Drive it how you want to drive it. Your not hurting the car by driving it. Missing shifts however, will hurt your tranny. Stop shifting so quickly until you get some practice down.

#6 ·
thanks!!
at first I was a bit more cautious with my shifting (newbie stage), but now I feel comfortable at any given gear/speed.
I do feel that some days my shift is weak and tends to not go as smooth as other days.
Summer is almost here so I will have better idea if Im doing this right. BTW how would I know if I f*** up my synchros? I got my dealer to check it out a few times during oil checks and they come back with no problems. Im pretty sure Ive grinded at least a dozen times since Ive had the car, and accidentally hit the 7k mark during a bad shift (maybe 3 times):p
thansk again:O)

#8 ·
You know if you messed up the synchro's when the tranny either stops working all together or more likely it will grind going into gear no matter how nice you shift. As for the rev limiter-just don't hit it too often.....

#9 ·
thanks again to everyone that contributed!!
all I need now is to have my car back from the shop and some consistent warm weather.
we just got dumped on again:p
call me weird, but I get chills when I hear that vtec engine rumble during perfect shifts:)
is it just me?
:O)

#12 ·
I know it sounds bad, but I have taken it in to the shop and they still tell me that there is nothing wrong.
Oh well Im glad its covered (as long as Im not abusing it).
It's not as bad as it sounds. I grinded my old Civic all the time (nearly every day!) and I had the car for 4 years without a problem. The car was leased and when Honda inspected it upon termination of lease, they didn't report anything wrong with the mechanicals. It probably depends on the vehicle, but grinding gears (especially with Hondas) sounds far worse than it actually is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.