S2000 vs Accord Transmission - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #1
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
S2000 vs Accord Transmission

I just drove a 2004 s2000 just for the fun of it, and to compare the feel of things to my accord. Yes I know its a completly different ball park, but I was bored and thought it might be fun.

I noticed a considerable difference in the length of the throws between the gears when comparing the s2000 and the accord- the s2000 was much closer. Does anyone know if the transmissions are the same?, and if so- can the accord owners change their shift kits to the s2000s to make them just as short? I tried asking at the dealership, but we all know what kind of responses we got from that!

Thanks in advance for the input.
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #2

The transmissions are totally different. One is a front wheel drive car with a transaxle and the other is a rear driver. I have had both and the S2000 has probably the best transmission on the market. The 6 speed accord has a good transmission, but it doesn't compare to the S2000.
Old June 12th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #3
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
Wow I feel like a dumb ass, didnt even think about that. Thanks for the quick response.
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 12th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #4
Satin Silver

get a neuspeed shortshifter. it'll help a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

so.cal
UCLA FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!
chinoamigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 12th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #5
DOO

wow, i didn't even know the S2K was RWD
DOO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2004, 08:43 AM   #6
Something Something Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Doom
Different series too. J in the Accord and F in the S2k.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Doom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #7

You didnt know the S2k was RWD, wow and you guys call yourself car buffs.
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:27 PM   #8

sure isn't fwd, the way this car handles
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:40 AM   #9
God of Car

Send a message via AIM to i3igpete
Quote:
Originally posted by 6SpeedMaster
You didnt know the S2k was RWD, wow and you guys call yourself car buffs.
he's a n00b. junior member.
Old June 16th, 2004, 01:57 AM   #10
BOOOJAWA!

Send a message via AIM to AccordiO
The s2k comes with a Stock Short shift and a LSD, it can take up to 478ish rear wheel HP. my friend has a turbo s2k he can run 500+hp at the rear wheels but his BOV is leaking, cuz he runs 23 psi or something like that.
Anyway he tells me he is getting some drivetrain work done to it, so i guess it doesn't hold up as well now that he has that much Hp.

so yeah the s2k is awesome...but only if plan to drive with urself and another person. seats aren't that comfortable, and is very compact when the top is up.
AccordiO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:58 AM   #11

How fast does he run the 1/4?
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:26 AM   #12
BOOOJAWA!

Send a message via AIM to AccordiO
he never ran the 1/4, last time he was at the track they had to tow his car out, that was before the big custom turbo. i think his o2 sensor failed, ever since he hasn't gone back.

he is in the backwords issue of superstreet not too long ago.
AccordiO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #13
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
Originally posted by AccordiO
The s2k comes with a Stock Short shift and a LSD, it can take up to 478ish rear wheel HP. my friend has a turbo s2k he can run 500+hp at the rear wheels but his BOV is leaking, cuz he runs 23 psi or something like that.
Anyway he tells me he is getting some drivetrain work done to it, so i guess it doesn't hold up as well now that he has that much Hp.
No 11.0:1 compression engine is going to take very much boost for very long. 23 PSI???? You can't just slap on a turbo kit and run a ton of boost on an engine like that. He'd need custom pistons with a low CR (8.0-8.5:1 range) to "take" that kind of power, and even then I think he'd really be pushing it.

Not surprised he needs "drivetrain work" now.....

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:59 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to PMantis24
The S' tranny is great, but the differential is like glass. Differential problems are as common as our 6th gen tranny problems.

Basically it can't take any abuse like launching. Honda added a clutch delay valve in the '04 to prevent people from doing clutch drops
PMantis24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by PMantis24
The S' tranny is great, but the differential is like glass. Differential problems are as common as our 6th gen tranny problems.

Basically it can't take any abuse like launching. Honda added a clutch delay valve in the '04 to prevent people from doing clutch drops
lol, why does this not surprise me?

I knew the S2k guys that were saying the car would take high rev clutch drops "all day long" and that the car was "designed for it" just HAD to be full of it. NO car is designed for that, especially the S2k. It's not a drag car and wasn't designed for drag launches. More empty rhetoric I guess.

BTW, I'm told that I never should have gotten a manual Maxima because the differential bearings are "like glass" and could fail at around 150k miles, especially if you mod and have a lot of extra power, and/or slam the gears all day long and chirp 2nd every chance you get. Stupid Nissan!!!!1!
Old June 16th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to AV6on19s
Anyone have any info on just how strong our 7th gen manual trannies are? Im curious how it would hold up if they developed a supercharger for our car, even if it only runs minimal boost. I know the clutch would have to be upgraded but other than that!
Old June 16th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #17
Boldly saying nothing

The rear end is the S2k's weak point, a lot of guys over at s2ki.com have blown diffs by launching hard with a stock setup, if you start adding power it magnifies the problem drastically. If I remember correctly the s2k does not come with an LSD but don't quote me on that, I am getting old and my mind is fading fast.
rallykid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally posted by rallykid
The rear end is the S2k's weak point, a lot of guys over at s2ki.com have blown diffs by launching hard with a stock setup, if you start adding power it magnifies the problem drastically. If I remember correctly the s2k does not come with an LSD but don't quote me on that, I am getting old and my mind is fading fast.
it does come with an LSD, a Torsen unit
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #19
Boldly saying nothing

Quote:
Originally posted by PMantis24
it does come with an LSD, a Torsen unit
Yup, you are right. I brain farted on that one. Been dealing with too many trannie discussions lately.
Old June 16th, 2004, 05:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by AV6on19s on June 16th, 2004 at 04:02 PM

Anyone have any info on just how strong our 7th gen manual trannies are? Im curious how it would hold up if they developed a supercharger for our car, even if it only runs minimal boost. I know the clutch would have to be upgraded but other than that!
Too new. Engines have been going due to shifting wayyy too high.

Old June 16th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #21

With manuals, the clutch and its holding force are usually the limiting factor. When you start making too much power the clutch will just start slipping. Upgrade clutch. It's the standard "prerequisite" upgrade over at Maxima.org when adding the Stillen S/C. The stock clutch won't hold up too long on boost. It's designed to handle the stock power and then some, but not much beyond that.
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC
With manuals, the clutch and its holding force are usually the limiting factor. When you start making too much power the clutch will just start slipping. Upgrade clutch. It's the standard "prerequisite" upgrade over at Maxima.org when adding the Stillen S/C. The stock clutch won't hold up too long on boost. It's designed to handle the stock power and then some, but not much beyond that.
Yes

Get an S/C for the S2K and you're gonna have to upgrade the tranny. Not necessarily the clutch for the S, the weakpoint is the pressure plate, you can go with a stock clutch but an aftermarket PP is definately needed, this is for the S of course.

I'm sure you're gonna have to beef something up in the tranny when increasing the 7th gen's power by a large amount.
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally posted by Doom
Too new. Engines have been going due to shifting wayyy too high.
What do you consider "way too high"?
Old June 17th, 2004, 06:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally posted by AV6on19s
What do you consider "way too high"?
Accidentally turning a redline 3-4 upshift into a 3-2 downshift due to poor shifting technique.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

Old June 17th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #25
Boldly saying nothing

Quote:
Accidentally turning a redline 3-4 upshift into a 3-2 downshift due to poor shifting technique.
A lot of people not used to driving a very short throw six speed. What's funny is that you hear a LOT of this over at clubrsx.com but almost none of it with the Accord or s2000. Maybe because a lot of younger and inexperienced people are buying their first sporty car and the RSX is aimed more at that market. Short throws, inexperienced driver, and trying to drive above your skill level with bite you in the ass every time. Sure mistakes happen, but I have never known anyone with a lot of experience that has mis-shifted a six speed.

My GF wanted me to teach her to drive a stick on my Accord when it was 2 days old! I put her in a beater Daewoo Lanos 5 speed to get her used to using a clutch and the shift pattern, when she got comfortable with that and I was comfortable with her skills I let her drive the Accord around the block. If she would have pulled the accidental 2-1 downshift in the Accord when she was going for 3rd that she did in the Daewoo I probably would have **** my pants. As it was she took it to the limiter, got it into 3rd gear and kept going. I am going to use that car to teach her drag launches.
Old June 17th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #26

Quote:

Haha, funny you said that, about 2 weeks ago I almost did that, I was running my friends Turbo Del Sol and we took off in 3rd and when I went to shift into 4th I had a patch of terrible pavement and it went into 2nd instead of 4th but I felt it and didnt release the clutch. God knows what would have happened! Glad I didnt find out!
Old June 17th, 2004, 07:44 AM   #27
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally posted by rallykid on June 17th, 2004 at 09:30 AM

A lot of people not used to driving a very short throw six speed. What's funny is that you hear a LOT of this over at clubrsx.com but almost none of it with the Accord or s2000. Maybe because a lot of younger and inexperienced people are buying their first sporty car and the RSX is aimed more at that market. Short throws, inexperienced driver, and trying to drive above your skill level with bite you in the ass every time. Sure mistakes happen, but I have never known anyone with a lot of experience that has mis-shifted a six speed.
Makes sense.

Quote:

I put her in a beater Daewoo Lanos 5 speed to get her used to using a clutch and the shift pattern................ I am going to use that car to teach her drag launches.

03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:53 AM   #28
Bye bye accord :(

Quote:
i've driven the rsx a billion times (1 because if we go out and my friend takes out his type-s and gets drunk he can't drive so i gotta drive it for him) anyways i can completely see why and how easy it is for people with an rsx type S to mis shift. the gears closer together than the accords and the tranny is like butter it slips into gear so easily.
raff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #29

Quote:
A lot of people not used to driving a very short throw six speed. What's funny is that you hear a LOT of this over at clubrsx.com but almost none of it with the Accord or s2000.
I lost count of how many people here have blown engines due to mis-shifts, but I think we're at about 7 or 8 minimum. And the cars first came out in 03. The poor shifting skills get you by on the street, but if you try to race the poor shifting skills then results in mis-shifts and blown engines. Gotta learn to crawl before you can walk, or race.
Old June 20th, 2004, 12:04 AM   #30
6MT

Send a message via AIM to SlayerGTR
u want powerful tranny, get a supra tranny, itz getrag
SlayerGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in