CAI vs. Short Ram, which 1? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:10 PM   #1

CAI vs. Short Ram, which 1?

ive heard many things on the whole CAI and short ram issue, CAI is good cause it helps the engine breathe better, BUT even with a bypass water could still be sucked up..... how much water will it take to mess up your engine? short ram, also good but since its directly in the engine bay it sucks less cold air, is it worth the buy then? and finally which one is worth purchasing,INjen....AEM.....K&N? and ive got 8000 miles on my AV6, should i wait to hit 10K to start moding? sorry for all the Questions but rather make sure whats worth gettin for my car that wont mess it up in the long run
04DCspeedV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2004, 11:41 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to JPAccord
You have very little to worry about in regards to hydrolock, from what i understand, the entire filter must be submerged for hydrolocking to occur.
JPAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #3
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

any intake with an open cone element has the potential to suck up water and hydrolock. It doesn't take very much, but it's really more bad luck if you do get hydrolock. Only a handful of people here have ever hydrolocked in the nearly 4 years that I've been around here. And pretty much everybody has an intake. I had a CAI on my Accord with no bypass and drove it through the remnants of a hurricane without a problem. The failure mode seems to be driving next to a truck and having a TON of water splash down on the hood. A closed box intake setup like the factory or the Comptech Icebox are the only things that give protection against that. No open element intake system is everything proof.

As for CAI vs SRI, a CAI will not necessarily give you colder air. It's been measured on these cars that the under hood temps is pretty much ambient once you're moving at as slow as 5 mph. IMHO, a lot of the hype on CAI's is just that. HYPE. They're not necessarily any better than SRI's, although that's not what intake companies want you to believe because they make more money on CAI's due to said hype. There is a lot of evidence for the 6th gen AV6's that a SRI actually performs BETTER than a CAI, although nobody has ever done a back to back dyno to actually prove it. Cars with SRI's seem to perform "better" on the track though.

Vendor dynos are useless (see sig). We need somebody here to do an intake shootout. Same day, same car, same dyno, all the different intakes. Sound wise there are lots of comments though. Search.

You don't need to wait until 10k to start modding either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 17th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #4
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
Originally posted by JPAccord
You have very little to worry about in regards to hydrolock, from what i understand, the entire filter must be submerged for hydrolocking to occur.
As stated in above post, a few people have hydrolocked just by having enough water splashed onto the filter head and *not* fully submerged. If their luck is bad enough it could be enough all in one cylinder to lock it up and stall the engine. Might not take it out immediately, though. Might just bend a rod or something and the engine might let go down the road.

Hydrolock used to be a myth on these cars that never happened. But as time goes on, it's more like a rare but not unheard of occurance due more to bad luck than anything else. Hydrolock fears still wouldn't stop me from buying an intake.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to JPAccord
thanks for clearing up my misconceptions.
JPAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 19th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #6
6MT

Send a message via AIM to SlayerGTR
does it flood often where u live? if not, then get CAI
SlayerGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 20th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #7

i was doin more research, im not waitin for a SRI since i really have no clue when one will be released, thanks guys for all the posts, but im slammed with another question, around where i live it rains alot, ive read so many things on AEM and the V2, why is it that the V2 doesnt have a bypass valve? its probably a stupid question but nontheless id like to know, and i also would like to know if the K&N CAI needs a bypass aswell, which one would be more preferrable K&N or AEM?
04DCspeedV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:26 PM   #8
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally posted by 04DCspeedV6 on June 20th, 2004 at 08:13 PM

...but im slammed with another question, around where i live it rains alot, ive read so many things on AEM and the V2, why is it that the V2 doesnt have a bypass valve?
Not a stupid question at all You can't use the bypass valve with the V2 because it would defeat the purpose of the V2's design. The bypass valve would disrupt the special sound wave frequencies created by the V2's different-sized piping and therefore cancel out the advantage that the V2 has over the regular CAI.
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:34 PM   #9
"El Pesao"

Send a message via AIM to djcharlee
What abouth K&N?

Does K&N's CAI, CCA, or SRI even compare to the AEM?
Anyone try these two items out.. here is a link
K&N $150.00

need more 411!!!

djcharlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in